Alex Smith looks ahead in 2006 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Alex Smith looks ahead in 2006

Prime

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
49ers | Smith looking ahead; not back
Sat, 18 Feb 2006 07:32:08 -0800

Dennis Georgatos, of the San Jose Mercury News, reports San Francisco 49ers QB Alex D. Smith remains confident in his abilities and he is looking forward to 2006 and not back on 2005. Little went right for Smith in his first year with the 49ers. Smith failed to win the starting job in training camp, suffered a midseason knee injury that cost him five games, fumbled 10 times and threw 11 interceptions before completing his first (and only) touchdown pass. Smith, who won't turn 22 until May, admitted that his very public growing pains as 49ers quarterback frustrated him. Nothing bothered Smith more than the fumbles. Smith said he's more conscious now of his grip, especially when handling newer, slicker footballs. Smith returned from the knee injury to start the last five games, winning the final two. Learning the scheme installed by Norv Turner is the next challenge for Smith, who has been meeting regularly with the team's new offensive coordinator. Smith said he'll lean on his first-year experiences to try to make the transition seamless.

You got to feel bad about the dude. He had zero talent around him and there was nobody to block for him. Hopefully Turner can install a good offense that fits with Smith.

Smith hasn't shown me anything yet.....look for him to be in NFL Europe in a year or two.

Not true

They have decent WR's I love Brandon Lloyd he could be big if he keeps working at it, the guy makes some AMAZING plays

Frank Gore did a decent job and the running game wasnt terrible

Better way to put it would be, I dont think any rookie QB could have showed anything

Alex22 said:
Not true

They have decent WR's I love Brandon Lloyd he could be big if he keeps working at it, the guy makes some AMAZING plays

Better way to put it would be, I dont think any rookie QB could have showed anything

Lloyd is overrated. He makes some amazing catches for the highlight reel and then drops the easy ones. Their running game was average, Gore only ran for 600 yds even though he showed promise.

Basileus777 said:
Lloyd is overrated. He makes some amazing catches for the highlight reel and then drops the easy ones. Their running game was average, Gore only ran for 600 yds even though he showed promise.

I dont think Lloyd can be over rated considering a lot of people either dont know who he is or think he isnt that good

I didnt say their run game was amazing, just that it was decent not terrible

Lloyd is still young, he seems like a really really great guy from all the interviews I saw, and he has good work ethic, young recievers other than the Fitzgeralds and Moss's of the world usually arent consistant their first few years in the league, especially later round draft picks, but his ability to make those amazing catches shows me he is capable of being a very good reciever

Roman529 said:
Smith hasn't shown me anything yet.....look for him to be in NFL Europe in a year or two.

That would be laughable for a 1st overall pick to be sent to NFLE. Either he makes it or he doesn't in the NFL. I am sure he will be given a few more years to make things work before SF calls him a bust and is done with him. The guy would be traded or released before any thoughts would be put into sending him to NFLE.

The stars of NFLE are barely able to make the Practice Squad or be depth players in the NFL. Heck most of the players ya see don't even have an affiliation with an NFL team. Brock Berlin an undrafted FA is the type of guy ya send there, not even Lemon was sent to NFLE.

Only players with very little to no value to the team are sent there in the hopes of developing them to becoming contributers to the team, and give them a competative environment to do it in since they don't see any playing time. Imagine if Alex tore his knee in NFLE and was out for the NFL season, that would be one of the stupidest moves an NFL team could make.

NFLE is for developmental players and a first overall draft pick does not fall in that catagory. Neither does Manny Wright a 5th Rd supplemental pick, or most other players that are actually on an NFL roster. The benefit of playing time in an actual game does not outweigh the possiblity of what negatives can occur.

We have coaches to coach players up.
We have NFLE to see if a player deserves to be afforded the time to be coached.

Alex22 said:
Not true

The 9ers are the worst team talent wise, IMO. Alex Smith can be a good Qb, IMO but they've got to build around him. Brandon Lloyd and Frank Gore aren't bad players, but they need alot of help on offense. Has Rashaun Woods done anything since being drafted? Mike Nolan is going to need time to build that team, and I think Smith was the right pick for them but they need alot of help. Alot of people are gonna say Smith was a bust based on last year but having a rookie Qb start for any team would be rough but having him start for a team as awful as SF is a recipe for disaster.

Alex22 said:
I dont think Lloyd can be over rated considering a lot of people either dont know who he is or think he isnt that good

I didnt say their run game was amazing, just that it was decent not terrible

Lloyd is still young, he seems like a really really great guy from all the interviews I saw, and he has good work ethic, young recievers other than the Fitzgeralds and Moss's of the world usually arent consistant their first few years in the league, especially later round draft picks, but his ability to make those amazing catches shows me he is capable of being a very good reciever

Lloyd had the best catch of the year, IMO but it was called back for holding, it was absolutely ridiculous.

chris84chambers said:
he also dropped many and was inconsitant

So did chambers but we still like him

Besides how many of you actually SAW 49er games this season?

he wasnt even near the top of the league in dropped passes or dropped pass percentage

He will be a star in a few years

Dolfan984 said:
I live in the Bay Area so I see a lot of Lloyd. Lloyd is nothing but a poor mans Chambers but slower.

Id have to disagree there but your entitled to your opinion

I think in 2 or 3 years lloyd will be big, as long as he keeps the work ethic he already has, he is still young, and he get more consistant

Back
Top Bottom