All QB's selected 1st round this Century | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

All QB's selected 1st round this Century

Neither Luck or RGIII won league MVP and a Super Bowl or threw for 50 touchdowns in a season, or threw no look passes, or completed passes with their left hands. LOL
You're right, Mahomes is incredible. But my point is health. Also, consistency over the years, though I have no reason to think he won't continue to do his thing for a long time. But you never know.

This is irrelevant unless you compare that list to the list of all QBs drafted in round 2-7 ... imho

Are you volunteering? LOL And it’s not relevant When considering whether we should trade up to draft a QB with one of our 1st round picks. We aren’t talking about not drafting a QB in the first round, at least in these discussions, and most in the various sources on the Internet and on tv and so on that 4 QB’s are being drafted in the first round, so the question has nothing to do with the 2nd - 7th rounds. However, historically some very good QB’s have been taken in rounds out of the 1st round, but I already did a thread on that a few months ago.

Going strictly by the numbers, winning Super Bowl quarterbacks have been drafted in the first round 55.3 percent of the time (29.8 percent with the first overall pick).
Hmmmm.....

I think if you limit it to post free agency, you will find that 28.9% is quite a bit lower.

Besides that, a few guys, Aikman and 2 Mannings, really skew the statistic.

Three number one picks? Talk to Houston about Deshaun Watson.

That’s a good example. Although they traded 2 number ones and 3 2’s I believe. I could also point to Robert Griffin the III as an alternate, but it is a crap shoot.

I remember when you were building this model in VIP, I commented on it and was impressed with where you were thinking. The app, is really impressive! Well done. Not sure I completely understand it, but you put a lot of math/statistical analysis in it, and I have always been a big fan of your work, so well done there.

However, that’s not the approach I was taking, nor was it the point of my thread. That is more your thing, and more your thread which you have already created and are welcome to continue of course.

However, my point was a bit less mathematically oriented, in that I feel like as much math as one wants to apply, at some point, much like in golf, there is a certain amount of randomness, and quite frankly luck that one needs to truly draft a transcendent QB, nd that is really almost impossible to model. Mine was more observation and intuition based by arming oneself with the gift of hindsight.

So, by considering whether or not we should trade up for the number 1 pick I selected two main data points:

1. How many of the number 1 overall picks (regardless of position) would actually have been worth trading up for from position number 5? So without being totally focused on statistics, which were a factor, it was also more based on the gift of hindsight, factoring in basic factors as: Career, playoff wins, longevity, accomplishment, etc. which doesn’t require a lot of math to ascertain.

2. How many QB’s picked in the first round over the past 20 years would you I.e. the reader be willing to trade 3 1st round picks or more for which is probably what it would cost if the Bengals would even entertain us moving up from 5-1. Again, not statistics based, but more picking out names that you could say, “Yes, this guy.”. You know, Aaron Rodgers, Patrick Mahomes, etc. guys like that. What we learned from this, is intuitively, based on hindsight, very few of the QB’s who went in the first round over the past 20 years would have been worth trading up for either because they had their career shortened by injury, or didn’t live up to expectations, or didn’t win superbowls, weren’t transcendent players, didn’t live up to the hype, etc.

Now to be fair, if anyone knew what Rodgers would have been, or Brees for instance, or Brady, they wouldn’t have slipped so far down which is kind of what your point is. Chicago thought Trubisky was better than Mahomes and Watson, and as one of our brothers pointed out, if you had based things on the scouting reports alone, Watson had many of the same things written about him in terms of his weaknesses as did Herbert and Love for example Not to mention someone like Lamar Jackson For instance.

My opinion after all of this was simply that based on looking at all of this historical info, it is unlikely that Joe Burrow would be worth the price of trading up for from 5 to 1 because there is a small amount of players in the past 20 years much less the history of the NFL that turned out to be worth that kind of trade.

Anyways, great app!

I remember when you were building this model in VIP, I commented on it and was impressed with where you were thinking. The app, is really impressive! Well done. Not sure I completely understand it, but you put a lot of math/statistical analysis in it, and I have always been a big fan of your work, so well done there.

However, that’s not the approach I was taking, nor was it the point of my thread. That is more your thing, and more your thread which you have already created and are welcome to continue of course.

However, my point was a bit less mathematically oriented, in that I feel like as much math as one wants to apply, at some point, much like in golf, there is a certain amount of randomness, and quite frankly luck that one needs to truly draft a transcendent QB, nd that is really almost impossible to model. Mine was more observation and intuition based by arming oneself with the gift of hindsight.

So, by considering whether or not we should trade up for the number 1 pick I selected two main data points:

1. How many of the number 1 overall picks (regardless of position) would actually have been worth trading up for from position number 5? So without being totally focused on statistics, which were a factor, it was also more based on the gift of hindsight, factoring in basic factors as: Career, playoff wins, longevity, accomplishment, etc. which doesn’t require a lot of math to ascertain.

2. How many QB’s picked in the first round over the past 20 years would you I.e. the reader be willing to trade 3 1st round picks or more for which is probably what it would cost if the Bengals would even entertain us moving up from 5-1. Again, not statistics based, but more picking out names that you could say, “Yes, this guy.”. You know, Aaron Rodgers, Patrick Mahomes, etc. guys like that. What we learned from this, is intuitively, based on hindsight, very few of the QB’s who went in the first round over the past 20 years would have been worth trading up for either because they had their career shortened by injury, or didn’t live up to expectations, or didn’t win superbowls, weren’t transcendent players, didn’t live up to the hype, etc.

Now to be fair, if anyone knew what Rodgers would have been, or Brees for instance, or Brady, they wouldn’t have slipped so far down which is kind of what your point is. Chicago thought Trubisky was better than Mahomes and Watson, and as one of our brothers pointed out, if you had based things on the scouting reports alone, Watson had many of the same things written about him in terms of his weaknesses as did Herbert and Love for example Not to mention someone like Lamar Jackson For instance.

My opinion after all of this was simply that based on looking at all of this historical info, it is unlikely that Joe Burrow would be worth the price of trading up for from 5 to 1 because there is a small amount of players in the past 20 years much less the history of the NFL that turned out to be worth that kind of trade.

Anyways, great app!
Thanks!

Im operating on odds... Your odds of getting good players decline as you get further down the draft, I feel like bringing out the success stories doesnt really reflect reality... I mean there might not be that much of a difference between the number of successful players in round 1 vs 2 vs 3, but the number of failures grow astronomically in comparison.

For example you just started a similar thread with all 1st overall in the last 2 decades... I would trade most any 3 of them for a shot at who I think is the best QB in any given draft. Its just the nature of the position. And for what its worth, I wouldnt trade 3x 1st for Burrow. But if Grier truly believes Burrow is the best QB in this draft, than go for it buddy. Especially given they will not be impacting any future draft with such a trade, its all money in the bank, there is no mortgaging going on here.

If any of you guys like to play around with spread sheets, here are the results for the odds of picking different types of players in any given draft in CSV format.

Edit: Thought I was giving out a workable link... If you want the file, PM me we'll figure something out...

Back
Top Bottom