All these picks | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

All these picks

royalshank

Not a Game-Changer
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Legit question - are we concerned they w all of these picks, we will have to pay guys all at the same time - just as we are getting good (assuming we hit) in 4 years?

Are there there precedents for this?

Having to much young talent at the same time ,wanting to get paid at the same time?..Sounds good,we'll work it out when and if the time comes.
Some will not be re-signed,stagger the contracts on the core players,it can be worked out.

I think we will trade positions with some of these picks and roll them into future drafts.

If they indeed follow the Patriot blue print- we will be flipping players by the time they are due anyways or letting them walk- which is how they recoup so many compensatory picks.
I agree with your point though.

Hoping we trade down this year " fingers crossed"

I recall the Vikings having 3 first round draft picks a few years back, but they traded back into the round, they didn't have them going in. They were later round picks too.

Only one is still with the team (Xavier Rhodes). Floyd's career ended due to injury before receiving a second contract. Patterson was not resigned after a few years.

YearRndPlayerPickPosToAP1PBStCarAVGCmpAttYdsTDIntAttYdsTDRecYdsTDIntSkCollege/Univ
20131Sharrif Floyd23DT201600213449.5Florida
20131Xavier Rhodes25DB2019126369110Florida St.
20131Cordarrelle Patterson29WR20192222597897307185187510Tennessee

Odds are that not all of our 1st round picks will hit. But they MUST come out with at least one perrennial pro bowl player out of the bunch to make it a success IMO.

2001 Rams also had 3 1st rounders:

YearRndPlayerPickPosToAP1PBStCarAVGCmpAttYdsTDIntAttYdsTDRecYdsTDIntSkCollege/Univ
20011Damione Lewis12DT20100033214123.5Miami (FL)
20011Adam Archuleta20DB200700632103418.0Arizona St.
20011Ryan Pickett29DT20140013592079.5Ohio St.

I'd like to see the Dolphins trade down from one of these 1st rounders or 2nd rounders for a future 1st round pick and more future draft capital. Keep rolling over the draft capital so you are loaded each year to maximize opportunities.

I recall the Vikings having 3 first round draft picks a few years back, but they traded back into the round, they didn't have them going in. They were later round picks too.

Only one is still with the team (Xavier Rhodes). Floyd's career ended due to injury before receiving a second contract. Patterson was not resigned after a few years.

20131Sharrif Floyd23DT201600213449.5Florida
20131Xavier Rhodes25DB2019126369110Florida St.
20131Cordarrelle Patterson29WR20192222597897307185187510Tennessee

Odds are that not all of our 1st round picks will hit. But they MUST come out with at least one perrennial pro bowl player out of the bunch to make it a success IMO.

2001 Rams also had 3 1st rounders:

20011Damione Lewis12DT20100033214123.5Miami (FL)
20011Adam Archuleta20DB200700632103418.0Arizona St.
20011Ryan Pickett29DT20140013592079.5Ohio St.

I'd like to see the Dolphins trade down from one of these 1st rounders or 2nd rounders for a future 1st round pick and more future draft capital. Keep rolling over the draft capital so you are loaded each year to maximize opportunities.
Nice research, I would say its a success simply if we draft Tua. Obviously we want to hit on the other picks, but to have a franchise QB is worth all of this non sense.

Things will work themselves out. Even if we draft well they won't all turn out to be elite players and if they did then great. As long as we don't go crazy in free agency we'll be fine.

Great question. I think we should use all of these picks wisely. We pick players of great value and continue trading out of spots where value is scarce like the Pats and Seahawks always do because the dilemma you are posing is a real one.

We cant even keep our players during regular drafts what about when we have a ton of players waiting for big paydays? Are we going to let them all walk like we usually do?

In todays NFL, there always seems to be someone willing to overpay a solid player, big $ in free agency. It's nearly impossible to keep them all, without overpaying.

The best scenerio, is that you trade a few "good" players, to keep the draft picks flowing, and have good players on rookie deals.

Here's the catch. You have to be much better with your picks than we have EVER been as an organization. You have to replace the solid players you lose, with solid players you draft.

Obviously there are some positions you don't take this approach with, and a few players that are so good, they are worth the big contract.

It's a lot easier said than done.

It should be irrelevant, mainly because it's a problem you wish to have. Different players will require different timelines for extension negotiations.

I believe the team is going to parlay their picks for future picks and stretch out (and increase the value of) all these picks.

The last thing you want to do is what Cleveland did and use their bounty all up in a short period of time. They were set up nicely and could've prolonged their draft dominance but they wanted to circumvent the process and shorten the rebuild.

Don't fall for the allure of the quick fix either (ie WR's/RB's) and stick to the plan.

Great feedback here - wow, I don’t recall any of those Rams players. Were they all whiffs?

It's a great question and would be a nice dilemma to have. Even bad teams have to make tough decisions with players so it will be a challenge.

But if you can get close to elite talent at the most crucial positions those are obviously the players you keep.

Staggering contracts could work as well.

Great feedback here - wow, I don’t recall any of those Rams players. Were they all whiffs?

No, all 3 had productive careers, but I'm not sure if any of them ever got a second contract with the Rams. I think Archuletta did. The other 2 players played for a decade + with other teams.

Back
Top Bottom