Am I the only one that thinks Miami isn't targeting a QB or OL with their first pick? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Am I the only one that thinks Miami isn't targeting a QB or OL with their first pick?

56PHIRST

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I'm still convinced that Miami is targeting either Justin Blackmon or Michael Floyd with their first pick, then looking to someone like Weeden in the second round, or possibly trading back in. If the season started today, there is no way that we should expect to contend for a playoff spot with our lack of arial fire power on offense as the offense stands right now. But adding another WR like Floyd or Blackmon would give us a similar offense to the one Philbin ran in GB with multiple weapons in a spread-like offense. I just don't see our FO changing their draft strategy this year, especially to pull the trigger on a QB with little quarterbacking experience in the top-10 when they passed on guys like Flynn.

Never understood this fascination with Weeden who's played in a friggen spread offense and had Blackmon as his receiver. I for one hope Weeden stays far far away from the fins.

Just because you don't understand it doesn't mean it won't happen. It's not like its out of the question with Ireland in office.

Just because you don't understand it doesn't mean it won't happen. It's not like its out of the question with Ireland in office.

Ok let me rephrase that I hope they dont draft Weeden in the 2nd it would be another wasted 2nd rd pick IMO.

Id love.claiborne here. If hes gone and.we.dont take a qb, ive shifted towards keuchly. Keuchly would be the second.coming of zt, something this d couod use for a decade.

If they stay with there draft strategy they will draft a lineman with the first pick. Long was taken in year 1, Odrick year 2, Pouncey last year if they stick with past draft strategy the pick will be a D.lineman. Ingram? Claiborn, Floyd or Blackmon could change that philosophy this year though.

I'm still convinced that Miami is targeting either Justin Blackmon or Michael Floyd with their first pick, then looking to someone like Weeden in the second round, or possibly trading back in. If the season started today, there is no way that we should expect to contend for a playoff spot with our lack of arial fire power on offense as the offense stands right now. But adding another WR like Floyd or Blackmon would give us a similar offense to the one Philbin ran in GB with multiple weapons in a spread-like offense. I just don't see our FO changing their draft strategy this year, especially to pull the trigger on a QB with little quarterbacking experience in the top-10 when they passed on guys like Flynn.

I'm not sure about that. Not that Philbin controlled the GB drafts or anything, but if he believes in that type of model as far as building a team and you take into account his comments about how he doesn't believe in a #1 WR, then one would think that might not be his direction given his offense is more about spreading the ball around. GB's WR corps doesn't have a #1 among them... Cobb is a 2nd, Driver is a 7th rnder, Jennings was a 2nd, Jones was a 3rd and Nelson was a 2nd. Given that, I would look for us to be picking up a WR or two in the 2nd to 3rd round range.

If they stay with there draft strategy they will draft a lineman with the first pick. Long was taken in year 1, Odrick year 2, Pouncey last year if they stick with past draft strategy the pick will be a D.lineman. Ingram? uClaiborn, Floyd or Blackmon could change uthat philosophy this year though.
Davis wasn't a first round pick?

if ireland can get away with matt moore and only adding david garrard at qb in 2012 he must have pulled some real voodoo on ross...

The Dolphins have to be thinking how do we build the offense AND try to find a way to stop the New England passing attack. I expect this draft to be pretty heavy loaded for offense, but I could definitely see Miami taking someone like Mark Barron in Round 1. He is the type of safety that could match up against the great tight ends in the AFC East - Keller, Hernandez, Growonski. And let's face it, there isn't an elite pass rusher in this draft. I think a lot will depend on how the front office feels about Ryan Tannehill, Brandon Weeden and Kirk Cousins. If the team likes Weeden the best of those three this could be a very different draft than fans expect. Something like this for starters:

R1 Barron
R2 Weeden
R3 Irvin
R3 McNutt

I'm dreading this Draft day.

Ryan Tannehill isn't my favorite quarterback ever. I don't think he's up w/ Luck and Weeden though he's not that far off it. But he's a million miles preferable to Kirk Cousins. But somehow Miami is going to walk away with Cousins, I know it.

And he will be the next Matt Moore, except probably worse.

They are going to stick to their boards and draft one of the defensive ends.

Back
Top Bottom