Amaker out of Michigan | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Amaker out of Michigan

ChambersWI

Going Ghost
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2802320

not much of a surprise. If I remember correctly it was considered a poor hire when made, and many thought he was only hired because his wife is the assistant dean of students at Michigan. Though I will give him credit for turning around the program a bit after the Ed Martin scandal.

While not having great teams during Amaker's tenure, I think it's fair to say Michigan has underachieved and had the talent to make the Tournament each of the last two seasons.

Another thing that hurt Amaker was player development. His recruiting classes were solid. No McDonald's All-American's, but decent classes. The problem however, was that several players failed to develop after promising freshman seasons (Horton,Abrams,Simms,Pettway all come to mind). Losing out on Malik Hariston and Scottie Reynolds in recent years didn't help his cause either.

Interesting list of potential replacements...
According to ESPN.com's Andy Katz, some of the names up for consideration to replace Amaker include Washington State's Tony Bennett, Southern Illinois' Chris Lowery, former Golden State Warriors coach Mike Montgomery, UNLV's Lon Kruger, West Virginia's John Beilein, Xavier's Sean Miller and Cal's Ben Braun, as well as ESPN analysts Rick Majerus and Steve Lavin.

Katz also reported that Kentucky coach Tubby Smith could be a candidate, if he's available.

Aside from Lavin, I'd like any of those guys on the list. (I doubt Majerus is even a canidate, he was hired by USC before Tim Floyd but had too many health issues to coach full-time)

Back
Top Bottom