Amobi Okoye | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Amobi Okoye

DearbornDolfan

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
I was reading the updated NFL Draft Countdown board and they have the Fins taking Louisville DT Amobi Okoye. Now, with the fact that the Fins are likely to loose all three of their DTs, I wouldn't be all that happy about a DT in the first round. Except for one little fact:

The NFL Draft has rarely, if ever, seen a prospect like Okoye, who played in college as a 16-year-old true freshman and will still only be a 20-year-old rookie next fall despite having four years of Division I playing experience.

You not only have to be incredibly smart, but a damned hard worker to graduate high school at 16. He's also a beast physically. If one of the top-two recievers aren't available, I would have no problem whatsoever if the Fins took him.

I wouldnt mind taking him, hes a great player, gives a 100% on every play....and it shows

yes yes and more yes, wed have a stud at DT for 13+ years possibly

I don't know about 13yrs but He is a force. In todays NFL world, it is rare to keep a player for there whole career. One thing is for sure, we need an impact player with that first pick.

He has too many holes in his game to be drafted that high. He would be ok with a 2nd or 3rd round pick but he's too risky for rd 1. I really think he
s a media darling because of his age but I doubt a GM or coach i9s going to risk his 1st rdr on him

Have you seen this kid play? He's a freakin beast. He was in the backfield on most every play disrupting everything. He may take a year or so to be great....but he will be great.

That upside is a big plus being that he's only 20. If only Fred Evans, Rodrique Wright and if Manny Wright comes back, that's a lot of young bodies to combine with Roth to form a formidable line along with Taylor as the hybrid or that 3-4 vision it seemed that Saban was trying to build.

I have doubts about Okoye's ability to play NT. If Mueller, Capers etc. believe he can grow into a dominant NT, then pick him by all means. But I wouldn't draft him that high expecting him to be a closed end or something, we're set at that position for a long time IMO.

If Alan Branch is gone and there are no offensive guys worthy of that #8 pick, I wouldn't be upset with this choice. Man it is going to hurt our only strength (defensive line/front 7) if we can't re-sign Vonnie Holliday. That guy was solid for the two seasons he's played here. And he's even playing DT which is not his original position and played very well this past season. Truck was damn good too but how many years can this guy do it? He had one of his best seasons yet this past one. As for Zgonina, he didn't really do much this past year and Wilkinson was a total non-factor.

But we have Evans, Vickerson, Manny, Rodrique, Carter inside if we need him there, and maybe Chase Page can play DT or atleast provide depth.

I think that the #9 spot is too high to draft him. He will be a really good player in time but there is better value left with only 8 people taken. I don't think it would make much sense for us to draft him. It seems as if the d-line does have some good young talent plus traylor said he wants to play one more year and it seems like big daddy will be back also. Plus i don't believe in drafting linemen in the first round ive never been a fan of it.

Any relation to Christian?
Or is Okoye the african equivelent to Rodriguez/Smith?

I've seen every Louisville game this season. He is definately a rare talent. First off everyone knows about his age, but at that age he was the leader of U of L's defense! Excellent leader, highly intelligent, outstanding work ethic, physically gifted, all of those are apt descriptions.

He rushes the passer a little bit better than he plays the run, but I have seen him chase down running backs from behind: he is that athletic. I too question if he will be a "true" nose tackle at the next level, but I don't think its out of the questions that he can be one. He's 6'1", 317 LBS (althought he said he played lighter than that this season)

His stat line this year:

Games:13
solo TAK: 38, assists: 17, TFL: 15 (57 yds)
sacks: 8 (34yds)
Pass broken up: 1
QB hurries: 3
forced fumbles: 3

All he's missing is an INT, but hey, he is a DT after all...

He's the type of player that you've got to see at the combine before you have a better idea of where he might go. He could be the #9 pick or he could be the #9 pick in the second round. More than likely he'll end up going in the last half of the first round.

Link to his bio:

http://uoflsports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/okoye_amobi00.html

If we don't draft Ginn Jr. our team will be lost forever.

If we don't draft Ginn Jr. our team will be lost forever.

Ted Ginn will be nothing but a return man for the first couple years of his career. He's not the difference maker our offense needs.

Oh yeah, Okoye isn't 20 yet so he still has a lot of potential

Back
Top Bottom