An inside look at why it went wrong for Dion Jordan in Miami | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

An inside look at why it went wrong for Dion Jordan in Miami

uk_dolfan

Proud Tua Cultist
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/12/28/dion-jordan-seahawks-comeback-2013-draft-drug-alchohol-suspension

An interesting look at exactly why it went wrong for Jordan in Miami and how the team (Steve Ross in particular) tried to help him. I considered putting this in the NFL forum and it could still end up there.... but I thought this was an interesting look, from those who knew him best at just why it all went to **** for him here.

He ignored anyone who warned him. He prioritized bad habits. He hung around the wrong friends. And he was distracted by South Beach and all that Miami glamour.

He was 23 then, rich—his four-year contract was worth roughly $20 million—almost famous and living in Miami. He deserved to have fun, he reasoned “My production was directly related to what I was doing off the field,” he says. “I put nothing into it. I was just showing up.”

“He came into my office and was just a f------ wreck,” Hendrickson says. “I mean, I would quantify it as literally near death. He looked homeless, just awful.”

He never stopped partying during that first suspension. At that point he had not yet tried to quit. He says the Dolphins went out of their way to offer him help, and from the very top. His biggest supporter was Stephen Ross, the team’s owner and billionaire real estate developer, who checked in with Jordan regularly via phone

He lost $5.6 million in salary and bonus money, and he didn’t really care.

The story also talks about how he went back to drinking after he came back to the Dolphins sober and had to go on IR.

I really thought Dion Jordan was going to be our Von Miller, sadly it was more like Ryan Leaf. This story is not fun to read.

Last edited:
What went wrong was that we drafted him in the first place. His best position would have been as an OLB on a 3-4 defense which we didn't not use but not only did we draft him, we gave them a 2nd round pick to move up because ireland wanted to make a splash

Ozzy rules!!

Wow.......never realize this kid was going through such hell, I'm glad to see he has gotten his life pointed in the right direction......good luck to him.

What went wrong was that we drafted him in the first place. His best position would have been as an OLB on a 3-4 defense which we didn't not use but not only did we draft him, we gave them a 2nd round pick to move up because ireland wanted to make a splash

Ozzy rules!!

said this a gazillion times...I guess his lack of effort and off the field issues were a huge part of his downfall here....although I do not like the Seahawks, I enjoy watching him play on D...he already has 3 or 4 sacks in under 10 games played...cant deny his athletic ability...he needed to get out of town to get set straight

IMO Jordan never seemed like he wanted to be here. I feel he made a couple million here for partying and got out of having to play for us and got to go to a team he wanted. I think Michael Jordan wrote an article one time about paying athletes before they earn it.

Last edited:

Ozzy rules!!

I think the article shows there were rather larger issues than a position change

Interesting read. Glad the kid is finally getting the help he needs. Kudos to Ross for trying and showing compassion for him.

I think the article shows there were rather larger issues than a position change
Of course there were. The guy was a addicted and that's never a good thing. He never cared because he was very immature. He just didn't care and ireland didn't see that but yet he didn't want Dez Bryant. I'm glad he's putting his life in order but anyway you look at the situation, he's was the wrong pick to make

Ozzy rules!!

Interesting read. Glad the kid is finally getting the help he needs. Kudos to Ross for trying and showing compassion for him.
You mean he's finally accepting the help he needs? The team tried to help him but he turned the other way and that's all on him

Ozzy rules!!

You mean he's finally accepting the help he needs? The team tried to help him but he turned the other way and that's all on him

Ozzy rules!!
No, actually, I mean exactly what I said, and I don't enjoy arguing semantics, and the pettiness of it.

Back
Top Bottom