An Interesting Perspective on McDaniel and the Dolphins (An Overlooked Team for 2024) from Peter King's Sendoff | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

An Interesting Perspective on McDaniel and the Dolphins (An Overlooked Team for 2024) from Peter King's Sendoff

phinsforlife

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Interesting story. Hope he is right.

8. I think there’s one thing that was going to die in my notebook because I never got to it this season, but I decided to include it here under the heading of “Team I Think you Might Be Overlooking for 2024.” The Dolphins. Let me take you back to Frankfurt on Nov. 3. The Dolphins had just finished Friday practice, and coach Mike McDaniel agreed to let me ride back to the team hotel, maybe 25 minutes, with him so we could talk. I wanted to talk about one specific play that interested me. It was a touchdown against Carolina a couple of weeks earlier. Tight end Durham Smythe went in orbit motion (behind the backfield) from left to right of the formation, but instead of completing the motion, Smythe stopped short and at the snap of the ball, moved forward to block a linebacker near the line of scrimmage. Tua Tagovailoa flipped a short pass to Raheem Mostert, who scored the easiest touchdown of his life—because Smythe eliminated the only defender who could have stopped him short of the goal line. I loved the play because I hadn’t seen an orbit-motioner stop in mid-motion and charge ahead to block like that. It was just another way that McDaniel’s imagination invented new stuff on the fly, and it made football fun. So I brought this up to McDaniel in the car, and this was our exchange:

McDaniel: “Do you have cameras in the building?”

Me: “Uh, no. Why?”

McDaniel: “How did you know what it meant? This play represents everything about our team that is special to me. I was sitting on it all training camp. The motion was new. The concept, it was probably the worst success rate that any play has ever had—we were like 0-for-11 on it in practice. The reason why it represents everything special is because the entire time we were working on it, I was waiting for somebody to say, ‘Why are we running this play?’ It kept failing.”

Me: “In other words, nobody was negative about it.”

McDaniel: “No one even took a moment thinking about something that isn’t in their control. They trusted coaches. Nine times out of 10, if a play doesn’t work in the first three attempts, people throw it out. Either the coaches throw it out or the players say, I don’t wanna run this. But anybody who’s great at anything spends little to no time worrying about things outside of their control. Does Michael Jordan hesitate at the end of a game because he’s 5-for-20 shooting? He does not. Because he’s process-oriented and has conviction and doesn’t worry about anything. The whole reason the offense looks the way it does is because people have bought in across the board. There’s a lot of things that we do that are new that most people don’t wanna try. They’re resistant. They’re not willing to be vulnerable but you have to be vulnerable to be your best self. You have to be secure and… I just think it epitomizes what’s going on. People see the results but they don’t see the fact that since April 17, there hasn’t been one day that our locker room has wasted. It starts with the captains. When you approach every day and every rep with the same amount of intensity, how are you not gonna have results?”

Me: “Why did it fail 11 times?”

McDaniel: “Sometimes the quarterback would miss it. Sometimes the back would be too shallow in relationship to the quarterback’s launch point. Sometimes the blocker would be too far out in front of the halfback. They would throw it, the halfback would catch it, and the blocker would be outside of the halfback. If Durham wasn’t in the right relationship inside out of the back in the timing of the play, he couldn’t execute the block. When it worked, it was all the reps Durham Smythe and Raheem Mostert had in camp. And the eight times that Tua ran it and it didn’t work but he sat there and listened and absorbed all of it.”

Me: “I bet your players were euphoric when they came to the sidelines—all that failure, then it works in a game and helps you win.”

McDaniel: “Not really. That’s another cool point about that moment. When you approach practice with full intentionality, you get used to the natural momentum swings. You don’t get too high or too low. So like, people were happy in the moment and then came to the sidelines and looked at the pictures of the entire drive and moved on with their lives. They trusted the coaches, we trusted them.”

That’s modern football. That’s the brains of the game trusted by the talent of the game. That’s why I think Miami will rebound this year and give Kansas City and Buffalo and Baltimore and whoever a very tough go.

Interesting story. Hope he is right.

8. I think there’s one thing that was going to die in my notebook because I never got to it this season, but I decided to include it here under the heading of “Team I Think you Might Be Overlooking for 2024.” The Dolphins. Let me take you back to Frankfurt on Nov. 3. The Dolphins had just finished Friday practice, and coach Mike McDaniel agreed to let me ride back to the team hotel, maybe 25 minutes, with him so we could talk. I wanted to talk about one specific play that interested me. It was a touchdown against Carolina a couple of weeks earlier. Tight end Durham Smythe went in orbit motion (behind the backfield) from left to right of the formation, but instead of completing the motion, Smythe stopped short and at the snap of the ball, moved forward to block a linebacker near the line of scrimmage. Tua Tagovailoa flipped a short pass to Raheem Mostert, who scored the easiest touchdown of his life—because Smythe eliminated the only defender who could have stopped him short of the goal line. I loved the play because I hadn’t seen an orbit-motioner stop in mid-motion and charge ahead to block like that. It was just another way that McDaniel’s imagination invented new stuff on the fly, and it made football fun. So I brought this up to McDaniel in the car, and this was our exchange:

McDaniel: “Do you have cameras in the building?”

Me: “Uh, no. Why?”

McDaniel: “How did you know what it meant? This play represents everything about our team that is special to me. I was sitting on it all training camp. The motion was new. The concept, it was probably the worst success rate that any play has ever had—we were like 0-for-11 on it in practice. The reason why it represents everything special is because the entire time we were working on it, I was waiting for somebody to say, ‘Why are we running this play?’ It kept failing.”

Me: “In other words, nobody was negative about it.”

McDaniel: “No one even took a moment thinking about something that isn’t in their control. They trusted coaches. Nine times out of 10, if a play doesn’t work in the first three attempts, people throw it out. Either the coaches throw it out or the players say, I don’t wanna run this. But anybody who’s great at anything spends little to no time worrying about things outside of their control. Does Michael Jordan hesitate at the end of a game because he’s 5-for-20 shooting? He does not. Because he’s process-oriented and has conviction and doesn’t worry about anything. The whole reason the offense looks the way it does is because people have bought in across the board. There’s a lot of things that we do that are new that most people don’t wanna try. They’re resistant. They’re not willing to be vulnerable but you have to be vulnerable to be your best self. You have to be secure and… I just think it epitomizes what’s going on. People see the results but they don’t see the fact that since April 17, there hasn’t been one day that our locker room has wasted. It starts with the captains. When you approach every day and every rep with the same amount of intensity, how are you not gonna have results?”

Me: “Why did it fail 11 times?”

McDaniel: “Sometimes the quarterback would miss it. Sometimes the back would be too shallow in relationship to the quarterback’s launch point. Sometimes the blocker would be too far out in front of the halfback. They would throw it, the halfback would catch it, and the blocker would be outside of the halfback. If Durham wasn’t in the right relationship inside out of the back in the timing of the play, he couldn’t execute the block. When it worked, it was all the reps Durham Smythe and Raheem Mostert had in camp. And the eight times that Tua ran it and it didn’t work but he sat there and listened and absorbed all of it.”

Me: “I bet your players were euphoric when they came to the sidelines—all that failure, then it works in a game and helps you win.”

McDaniel: “Not really. That’s another cool point about that moment. When you approach practice with full intentionality, you get used to the natural momentum swings. You don’t get too high or too low. So like, people were happy in the moment and then came to the sidelines and looked at the pictures of the entire drive and moved on with their lives. They trusted the coaches, we trusted them.”

That’s modern football. That’s the brains of the game trusted by the talent of the game. That’s why I think Miami will rebound this year and give Kansas City and Buffalo and Baltimore and whoever a very tough go.

THANK YOU so much for posting this. I loved reading it!!

Not surprising. I’ve come to the conclusion that McD could lead Miami to their first SB win in 50+ years and the fans that have already decided they’re smarter than him would create the narrative of how Miami won it all in spite of him.
They’d probably want to trade Tua at peak value too

Peter King is correct, the design of the Raheem Mostert TD created by Durham Smythe orbit motion was brilliant original stuff. However, it wasn't too smart to use it against the lowly Carolina Panthers. Hard to successfully replicate because every NFL Defense will know what to expect.

Peter King is correct, the design of the Raheem Mostert TD created by Durham Smythe orbit motion was brilliant original stuff. However, it wasn't too smart to use it against the lowly Carolina Panthers. Hard to successfully replicate because every NFL Defense will know what to expect.
that is an interesting and good point. it seemed at the end of the year, other teams were on to us, or something because the offense was not working as well at the end as at the beginning. probably a myriad of reasons, but this might have been one of them. eventually there was enough tape

Not surprising. I’ve come to the conclusion that McD could lead Miami to their first SB win in 50+ years and the fans that have already decided they’re smarter than him would create the narrative of how Miami won it all in spite of him.
Well let’s test that theory. Don’t hold your breath though.

Great play against the Panthers JV team, I noticed it never came up again. Sometimes 0-11 in practice might actually matter and tell you something.

There is almost always a Dolphin puff hype piece every offseason, it just has never ever mattered when actual football is played.

that is an interesting and good point. it seemed at the end of the year, other teams were on to us, or something because the offense was not working as well at the end as at the beginning. probably a myriad of reasons, but this might have been one of them. eventually there was enough tape
Beat up Offensive line and injured receivers playing at 50% or less will do that

The window is open with this team now. The captains of this team are mentally tough. They failed at the end. It was painful for all of us. The hard knocks gave us a look into the team that not many of us had experienced before. Certainly not with Philbin the 1st time we were on.

This is my favorite group of players since the ‘84 - 92 teams. It was really fun to win all those games at home this year. So painful at the end to lose to Buffalo again. Those guys stood in our way then ….how fitting the Bills went to 4 starght SB. So I know the fans,the coaches, the players & organization felt the pain at the end of the regular season & KC. -9 are you ****in kidding me? NO

I became a fan watching Garo kick the FG to end the Longest Game which propelled us to our 1st SB vs the Cowboys in ‘71. We got our asses kicked. I was nine years old. The team used that pain from that whippin to lead us to the our next 2 SB. While todays game is totally different than the Neanderthal 70’s Mental toughness defined those teams.

I think keeping this group intact Tua, Wilkins, AVG & Hunt is a must. I hope X test the mkt. & comes back but biz is biz. We need the continuity of our home grown talent to lead the new teammates that are added in our modern day NFL. Coach McDaniels give up the play calling become a Head Coach , delegate the Play Calling. Grier ,Allen , McKinsey get us some players make Good Desicions. Availability on game day is crucial for our success. Team trainers you guys need to it bring it this off season….with will of our players & God over the next 12 months. We can over come this injury bug.

Let’s get to August to see what kind of team this organization puts out on the field while our window is open to make a run for a Championship. Not a Playoff victory or to get to the Super Bowl . A CHAMPIONSHIP. Let’s GO

Back
Top Bottom