An "Offensive" Look to the Offseason | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

An "Offensive" Look to the Offseason

3rdandinches

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Trying to solve all the problems in 1 offseason, lol.

Trades -

P.Merling DE, Q.Mosses OLB, 4th - Ariz A.Boldin WR
This gives Arizona a stronger DE and OLB help while dumping a player they have no need for anymore.

***We can get away with this because of our depth at DE, Francis, McDaniels.

R.Brown RB, P.Solai NT, T.Ginn WR/KR, J.Porter OLB - KC 2nd & 3rd
Brown gives them a great one two punch with Charles, Solai gives them an upgrade at NT, Ginn helps their WR core complimenting Bowe, Porter gives them the veteran they seem to like on defense. Drafting McClain with their first to replace D.Johnson starts to make this a much better defense, also having two 2nds makes this a possible move for KC.

***I know alot of people have an issue with trading away R.Brown but we're heading to a more explosive offense while still being able to pound the rock with Williams/Cobbs/Hillard.

G.Wilson SS, W.Allen - Clev 4th
Cleveland picks up two starters for a mid round pick, we get a mid round pick for two players we may have just cut anyways....value both ways.

G.Cam WR, 7th, and the Rights to A.Fasano TE - Den T.Scheffler TE
Fasano gives them a block first, receive 2nd TE something they used Scheffler as. Their looking to dump Scheffler and we're offering value with a excellent #2 WR and a good/potential TE...again value both ways.

FA

J.Ferguson NT, 1 more year
J.Taylor OLB, 1 more year
N.Jones CB
D.Bess WR
J.Haynos TE

C.Hampton NT - Casey and Jason give us two vets that can dominate the middle.

Draft

1- CJ.Spiller RB
Adding an explosive back with Boldin, Scheffler, Bess and Hartline gives defensive co-ordinators nightmares on whom to focus on. Spiller also brings a threat to score every time he touches the ball in the return game aswell. Then you add him to the passing game out of the backfield or spread out finding match up problems with the defense.

2(KC)- B.Spikes ILB
A hard hitting ILB that can make plays complimenting Crowder in the middle pushing Akin to the bench. Spikes brings a strong cover, blitz and tackling ILB that Nolan will have a field day with attacking opposing Offenses.

2- N.Allen FS
Let the camp competition begin, Clemons and Allen duel it out for the starting FS spot opposite Bell.

3(KC)- AJ.Edds OLB
Solid SOLB that can drop into coverage and set the edge against the run.

3- A.Lane OLB
A converted DE that has great size and speed, 6'6 267 4.68/40.

4(Clev)- J.Graham TE
Purely a potential pick, an athletic freak that has transitioned from the hard court to the football field.

Our last 4 picks I can't really get into except for guessing, we need a project NT to take over from Fergy after next season, a project OT/OG and maybe even a project QB for the practise squad.

Roster

QB- Henne, White, Thigpen
RB- Williams, Spiller, Cobbs, Hillard
FB- Polite
TE- Scheffler, Haynos, Graham
WR- Boldin, Hartline, Bess, Turner
OT- Long, Carey, Garner
OG- Thomas, Smiley
OC- Groves, Berger

NT- Hampton, Ferguson
DE- Langford, Starks, McDaniel, Dotson
OLB- Taylor, Wake, Edds, Lane, Anderson
ILB- Crowder, Spikes, Ayodele
CB- Davis, Smith, Jones, J.Allen
S- Bell, Clemons, Allen, Culver

I know the trades can be over the top especially with so many, but what the heck!!! I do think we can get the Boldin deal done with players and a low pick instead of a 3rd or more. We have a strong relationship with KC and they get alot of starters for 2 picks. Denver is looking to dump Scheffler and if he wasn't a RFA they would just let him walk so that trade gets them something in return for a player they don't want anyways. Clev has 11 draft picks and need some proven bodies to fill the roster not just draft picks and Wilson and Allen give them to solid starters.

Our only slash in FA is C.Hampton due to picking up Boldin and Scheffler. I wouldn't sign Boldin until after the season is over. His contract is for 3mil which is reasonable and after 1 year I think we could sign him to a 3 year deal that won't break the bank.

Our offense now becomes explosive all over the place. A down the field TE, a RB that can score at any time from any point on the field. A WR teams have to prepare for and yet we still can pound the rock to eat the clock. Brown/Williams can be replaced in the 2011 draft unless Cobbs and Hillard show their more then capable to fill in, call it a tryout year for those two.

Defensively Hampton gives us a top end NT who can dominate the middle. Spikes gives us we've been lacking on defense forever. If Spikes is gone we could always take M.Johnson in the 2nd to battle Akin for the starting spot. SOLB will hopefully be settled in camp, I really think A.Lane can be that guy for us. Clemons and Allen battle it out for FS giving us a true FS to help in the secondary.

I know I'm dreaming but that's what the off-season is for!

Its a little much. Not going to happen but i would like it if our team looked like that next year. I wouldnt give that much up for Boldin though. Merling is worth at least a 2nd and Boldin is worth a 3rd so idk.

Brown gives them a great one two punch with Charles, Solai gives them an upgrade at NT, Ginn helps their WR core complimenting Bowe, Porter gives them the veteran they seem to like on defense. Drafting McClain with their first to replace D.Johnson starts to make this a much better defense, also having two 2nds makes this a possible move for KC.

Wtf, this is almost as bad as the Paul Gasol Lakers Memphis trade in the NBA.

But in theory it would be a good deal all in all. He never claimed this "would" happen.

You want an offensive look? Ill give you one ;] My DREAM-

Ronnie for a 2nd. Merling for a 3rd.

1st- Dez Bryant, WR
2nd- Jahvid Best/Dywer, RB
2nd- Jermaine Gresham, TE
3rd- AJ Edds, LB
3rd- Ricky Sapp, LB

Sign Antrel Rolle and Karlos Dansby

Yeah bud a few too many trades to be realistic and some are FAs but pretty nice draft.

I think you might see a more ho-hum FA/trades and maybe not Spiller at 1.12.

I think they like Ronnie for their wildcat (although I also like the idea of trading Ronnie instead). And I think Ronnie hasn't opted out of his contract to be a RFA anyway.

At WR, instead of trading for Boldin, they might prefer just signing Antonio Brant as a FA without having to give up draft picks.

I'd watch the contract situations with Casey Hampton and Vince Wilfork b/c both are suggesting they'll hold out if franchised. We might try to trade for one of these guys.

If we cant trade for one of these NTs, I think Dan Williams will be the pick at 1.12.

I wouldn't even rule out Mt. Man Boobs Terrence Cody at 1.12. The trio believe in "only-so-many-on-the-planet" theory.

Mt. Cody may look like Aunt Jemima but if he can play like Pat Williams, he'd be a solid pick for a 3-4 team.

Nate Allen, the LBs and Jimmy Graham added to the above may be more realistic.

1st- Dez Bryant, WR
3rd- AJ Edds, LB
3rd- Ricky Sapp, LB

That's the kind of offseason I've been wanting.

But I get the feeling they like Ronnie for their wildcat and we'll just let him play this final year of his contract. Ronnie hasn't even opted out to be a RFA, right?

And I don't think Dez Bryant is gonna make it to us, unfortunately - unless we jump ahead of DEN.

Wtf, this is almost as bad as the Paul Gasol Lakers Memphis trade in the NBA.

R.Brown is worth a second at the most, if he never had injury problems then he could be a 1st but a second makes sense. Ginn and Porter aren't exactly worth alot so putting them with Solai nets us a 3rd. Solai has shown promise but no more value then where I've placed him in my opinion.

Everyone has their own opinion to ones worth I guess! I see this as being a fair trade to both sides factoring everything in and I would do this trade in a heart beat if possible.

You dont need to explain yourself ^^ i think that trade would be fair. plus its a very early second and a very early third... you could easily get one of Spikes/Graham/Kindle/Cody/ etc. with the 2nd and a very good player with the 3rd..

***I know alot of people have an issue with trading away R.Brown but we're heading to a more explosive offense while still being able to pound the rock with Williams/Cobbs/Hillard.
How can we be heading to a more explosive offense without the explosive type players at WR? Boldin, Hartline, Bess and Turner are all possession types with very little, if any, explosiveness in their game. Maybe adding someone like Ohio's Taylor Price or UConn's Marcus Easley could add to that explosive offense we are heading to.

R.Brown is worth a second at the most, if he never had injury problems then he could be a 1st but a second makes sense. Ginn and Porter aren't exactly worth alot so putting them with Solai nets us a 3rd. Solai has shown promise but no more value then where I've placed him in my opinion.

Everyone has their own opinion to ones worth I guess! I see this as being a fair trade to both sides factoring everything in and I would do this trade in a heart beat if possible.
The fact Soliai was taking snaps away from Ferguson, before his ankle injury, shows that he made great improvements in his game last season. It's already difficult to find NTs as it is and depending on Hampton and Ferguson to make it through a season uninjured is asking way to much of them, especially when Ferguson might miss the entire off-season because of his quad injury.

That's the kind of offseason I've been wanting.

But I get the feeling they like Ronnie for their wildcat and we'll just let him play this final year of his contract. Ronnie hasn't even opted out to be a RFA, right?

And I don't think Dez Bryant is gonna make it to us, unfortunately - unless we jump ahead of DEN.

I'm 99.9% certain we will not select a WR in the 1st, the only addition of a WR will be through trade or FA, my opinion of course backed by opinions of G.Brandt being friends with BP.

I really don't think the FO cares if we run the Wildcat or not, they introduced it to manufacture offense when it wasn't happening conventionally. If we address the offense to where it could be a threat the Wildcat collects dust except for a surprise here and there and we don't need Brown for that. I like Brown but if there's value to trade him I'd do it, I believe he can be replaced easily if the offense has weapons to take some heat off the run game.

I really don't think it would cost much to get Scheffler from Denver, then add A.Bryant or Boldin with Spiller and the offense is scary good. Boldin will come cheap, a 3rd is not out of question for him but I'd rather give up a player that we wouldn't miss but would help them out.

Brown is under contract unless he opts out but then he's a RFA so either way he's tradeable. You can trade him in a sign and trade like we did with Welker.

So you won't trade players and a 4th for Boldin but you would trade for Wilfork. V.Wilfork will cost a tonne in picks and NE probably wouldn't trade him to us either. I just don't see the logic when you didn't want to give up the pick for Boldin.

For an offseaon I'm wanting would be defense, defense and some more defense. I just wanted to look at an offensive point of view and Spiller is an exciting back that when combined with a passing attack could be deadly.

I'm 99.9% certain we will not select a WR in the 1st, the only addition of a WR will be through trade or FA, my opinion of course backed by opinions of G.Brandt being friends with BP.

I really don't think the FO cares if we run the Wildcat or not, they introduced it to manufacture offense when it wasn't happening conventionally. If we address the offense to where it could be a threat the Wildcat collects dust except for a surprise here and there and we don't need Brown for that. I like Brown but if there's value to trade him I'd do it, I believe he can be replaced easily if the offense has weapons to take some heat off the run game.

I really don't think it would cost much to get Scheffler from Denver, then add A.Bryant or Boldin with Spiller and the offense is scary good. Boldin will come cheap, a 3rd is not out of question for him but I'd rather give up a player that we wouldn't miss but would help them out.

Brown is under contract unless he opts out but then he's a RFA so either way he's tradeable. You can trade him in a sign and trade like we did with Welker.

So you won't trade players and a 4th for Boldin but you would trade for Wilfork. V.Wilfork will cost a tonne in picks and NE probably wouldn't trade him to us either. I just don't see the logic when you didn't want to give up the pick for Boldin.

For an offseaon I'm wanting would be defense, defense and some more defense. I just wanted to look at an offensive point of view and Spiller is an exciting back that when combined with a passing attack could be deadly.
Why not? They've traded with us before as well as with other teams within the division. If the deal is right for them, NE will trade with anyone.

1st- Dez Bryant, WR
3rd- AJ Edds, LB
3rd- Ricky Sapp, LB

And I don't think Tuna will ask Ross to pay big $ to another veteran safety b/c it would be admitting that Tuna blew it on Gibril Wilson.

But I could see Philip Merling getting traded, maybe to a 4-3 team (and if we're lucky they'll add Ginn as a throw-in to up the price).

How about this...

Signed in FA:

Antonio Bryant (like She Glenn, Bryant plays for Tuna on 2nd Tuna team)
Ben Watson (Henne could really use a receiving threat TE like this guy)

Via Trade

2nd Round Pick - from CAR for Philip Merling and Ted Ginn, Jr. (CAR replacing Julius Peppers and Mushin Muhamed)

Resigned

Ronnie Brown (doesn't opt out)
Anthony Fasano (gets medium size long term deal)
Yeremiah Bell (not a cap cut)
Gibril Wilson (not a cap cut as many of us hope)
Jason Taylor (one year deal)
Jason Ferguson (one year deal)
Will Allen (back from injury)

Cuts

Joey Porter
Reggie Torbor

Draft

1.) Dan Williams NT Tennessee
2a.) Brandon Graham OLB Michigan
2b.) Nate Allen FS South Florida
3.) George Selvie OLB South Florida
4.) Micah Johnson ILB Kentucky
6a.) Shay Hodge WR Mississippi
6b.) Joe Pawelek ILB Baylor
7a.) Antonio Brown WR/RS Central Michigan
7b.) Chris Scott RT/G Tennessee

"***I know alot of people have an issue with trading away R.Brown but we're heading to a more explosive offense while still being able to pound the rock with Williams/Cobbs/Hillard."

I'm one of those people with the issue of trading Ronnie Brown. But I'm not bashing your ideas at all man. I think you have some interesting ideas here.

It's just personally, IMO I really believe that we should keep Ronnie here this year because I'm guessing Ricky really does retire at the seasons end. So if Ricky leaves and we trade away Ronnie we would be left (using your draft theory) Spiller/Cobbs/Hilliard/Sheets. Even though there is some explosiveness there, Ronnie is a playmaker we would miss.

Now I know that Spiller has incredible potential, and I wouldn't even be against drafting him if there are no other real options at #12, but we gotta keep Ronnie around. Give him this year to see if he can play the full season and if he can't then we move on.

And after writing that I do understand his value would plummet if he did get injured again, so there really is no right answer here! Trading him away now would be a time when his stock could be highest, that is unless he puts up numbers and stays healthy in 2010.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom