Analysis (w/ possibly 6th/7th picks) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Analysis (w/ possibly 6th/7th picks)

JepheryRoss

Starter
Reaction score
Palm Harbor, FL (originally New Haven, CT)
1. Jake Long (GRADE - A+) Great pick. Combination of NEED + Strategic Financial decision. We have the number one pick signed and ready to play. We solidify our offensive line for years with anchors Jake Long & Vernon Carey. You cant argue the pick at all. Let alone the guy is a great character, hard working, excellent athlete.

32. Phillip Merling (GRADE A) Excellent value pick. This definately became BPA selection. Those of us who have studied needs and players that visited etc, hadn't thought about this pick because most mocks had this guy going 17 Vikings/Chiefs, 21 Redkins, 26 Jaguars. We passed up on basically all the top rated Wide Receivers, we may regret doing that, but we definately go the best rated defensive player on the board.

57. Chad Henne (GRADE B-) Dolphins saw this coming, but alot of us hoped it was some sort of smoke screen for a team needing a QB to trade up. Personally I hated this pick when it happened. Maybe Henne will show me somethign that I NEVER saw at Michigan. However, at the end of the day you can only argue what you may have passed up on. We could've drafted a Cornerback (Terrell Thomas, Terrence Wheatley, Charles Godfrey) or Linebacker (Dan Connor, Tavares Gooden, Shawn Crable). Is drafting a possible starting quarterback, with another pick coming up at the start of the third round ok. Answer - YES.

66. Kendal Langford (GRADE A-) This guy has Parcells written all over it. At Dallas he drafted DeMarcus Ware, Marcus Spears and Chris Canty. The Merling/Langford picks look VERY similar. However, I REALLY wonder if we'd known we would get Langford, if maybe at pick 32 we pick a receiver/cornerback. We're obviously drafting BPA's up to this point. My brother is a diehard Steelers fan and he was dying for this guy. We're officially a 3-4 defense. The only reason I give this pick a MINUS is because once again we pass on cornerback/receiver's (Charles Godfrey, Justin KingReggie Smith, Early Doucet, Marion Maningham, Andre Caldwell) I also liked linebackers Shawn Crable, Tavares Gooden, Dan Connor.

110. Shawn Murphy (Grade B-) We traded for this spot. I love this kid. Parcells and CO (especially coach Sparano) love this kid. I knew we would find him. However I thought it might be later in the 6th round. I love the player, I dont love the pick. Once again we pass on a cornerback (Tyvon Branch, Justin King, Dwight Lowery, Orlando Scandrick).

We dont pick again (as of now) until the 6th. Here are some players between 6-7 round picks that I like alot. In no particular order.

CB - Zachary Bowman (Nebraska)
ILB Jonathan Goff (vanderbilt)
WR - Marcus Monk (Arkansas)
OLB - AJ Raebel (Wisconsin-Whitewater) - YOU NEED TO KNOW THIS GUY
OT - Demetrius Bell (Northwestern St)
FB - Jehuu Caulcrick (Michigan St)
OG - Robert Felton (Arkansas)
ILB - Ben Moffitt (USF) *character issues
ILB - Durrell Mapp (North Carolina)
DT - Kielen Dykes (West Virginia)
DT - Ahtyba Rubin (Iowa St)
DT - Ropati Pitoitua (washington State)

Bowman was already taken. Rubin and/or Goff would be steals in the 6th.

Nice post. Thanks for the research. I hope we start picking skill players now and we need at least one outside pass rush LB. I like Marcus Howard.

Nice analysis. Dale Murphy's kid eh? That kinda surprised me because I didn't think he was a big strong run blocking guy. I'm curious, did we trade for this pick before or after the Mike McGlynn pick was made, because McGlynn would have made perfect sense here, and in fact, McGlynn was my pick for us to take with the first pick of the 4th round.

Major run on the CB's unfortunately, all the late kids I liked, Scandrick, Ikegwuonu, Jack Williams, Tyvon Branch, etc., it looks like they're all off the board now. Guess we will not be stealing a developmental CB in the 6th round like I had thought. :(

Back
Top Bottom