Analyzing Matt Miller's Latest Mock for Every AFC East Team | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Analyzing Matt Miller's Latest Mock for Every AFC East Team

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
8. Miami Dolphins: Quinton Coples, Defensive End, North Carolina
[video=youtube;Hg0kPsASvSg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Hg0kPsASvSg[/video]

Matt says: "Quinton Coples is a classic example of teams and the media falling in love with a player based on what he should be able to do—not what he does. Coples had 7.5 sacks in 2011. A reputable number for a big-bodied defensive end who saw a lot of double-teams. Look closer at that number, though, and you'll see that four of his sacks came against perennial powers (hint, sarcasm) James Madison and Duke. How many offensive linemen will those two schools put in the NFL? Answer—none. Coples in the Top 10 is a massive reach, and a mistake, but it's likely one that will happen."
My slant: Well, if nothing else, it addresses a need. A gigantic one, at that. The Dolphins are switching from a 3-4 base defense to a 4-3 front, and although they already have defensive end/outside linebacker Cameron Wake, they will need another defensive end capable of rushing the passer and setting the edge.
Coples has shown the promise to do that, but can he do so on a consistent basis against the top talent in the NFL? He won't be facing many slouch offensive tackles in the AFC East, but like Jason Pierre-Paul in 2010, he has shown a ton of athletic ability and has a high ceiling.
If the Dolphins think they'll be getting the most out of Coples, this is a slam dunk. If Miller is right, though, a top 10 pick would be a massive reach.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish they would have showed him outside a bit more in this video. But he was def a force in it. He was washed out a bunch of times in the running game..but is what 285? Playing one tech on 3rd and short or 1st and ten is not the right role for him at all..The burst that most say is lacking seems to be there in this video...When the ball is snapped its almost like Coples knows the count in some of those vids. I could see a Justin Tuck role for him with a 43 team for sure...Playing strong side end then kicking inside on passing downs..But Justin Tuck was a 3rd rounder... Is coples worth a top ten pick?

Matt says: "Quinton Coples is a classic example of teams and the media falling in love with a player based on what he should be able to do—not what he does.

So true. I really hope Ireland passes on this lazy clown who made a "business decision" to not get injured in 2011.

I'd actually love the pick more than any other DE pick. The guy has the potential to be great, he has the frame, he can play the run solid . . . guys who play the run solid aren't really "lazy" IMO, I think Coples got alot of attention in the games I saw him play, constant double teams and his production rushing the passer fell off, and it is concerning, but calling him a massive reach at #8 is a bit ridiculous. The guy was head and shoulders the best player on the field at the Senior Bowl and has a chance to be a very special player at the next level.

I'd love if he was an option when we are picking come April.

I just got done watching the NC vs Miami game...AGAIN...Theres no doubt in my mind that Miami by all means possible should trade down.No thanks on this guy he wouldnt qualify to hold Julius Peppers jock.

Ok.. am I missing something here.. He's lining up as DT - 4.20 in and not once has he lined up at DE.

Forget this pick, don't like him, don't think he's good enough. Put Odrick at DE and use the 8th on Blackmon if available or Decastro if not.

Back
Top Bottom