Another DOMINANT game from Lamanzer Williams today.... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Another DOMINANT game from Lamanzer Williams today....

NYRicky34

Practice Squad
Reaction score
The guy had 10 tackles today, with 2 sacks, and a forced fumble. That gives him six sacks in the past two weeks; wow!

Also, Robert Baker caught 2 passes for 23 yards including a short TD catch, and returned a punt 91 yards for a TD!!

What are we going to do with this guy? We already have 5 DE's! THere will be some interesting competition there. One nice thing, Wale has been making noise about wanting a long term deal and possibly holding out ... that would be a big mistake with D. Bowens and Lemanzar, to go along with Burnett and Williams. The competition will be fierce.

Baker will be good competition for Charlie Rogers. It's good for him to get some experience returning punts. Newson's been getting some return experience as well ... the 4-5 spots for WR will also be great competition.

Can't wait for the camp and season to start!

Originally posted by Da 'Fins

Baker will be good competition for Charlie Rogers. It's good for him to get some experience returning punts. Newson's been getting some return experience as well ... the 4-5 spots for WR will also be great competition.

We will have lots of comp. for the return positions. Rogers, Simmons, Newsome, Baker and Stokes.

I expect Kendall Newson to give bigger competition to Charlie Rogers than I do Robert Baker. We've been trying Baker back there for punts and kicks at various points for the past like 4 offseasons and have never been satisfied with his performance enough to roster him. If anyone is going to give Rogers good competition it will be Stokes or Newson I think, because Newson has just shown a lot more explosiveness over in Europe not to mention he was reportedly the best WR in World League.

This is what I was looking for from Lemanzer Williams when he had that 4 sack performance last week. I said if he manages to dominate in one or two more games like this, this guy could end up on our roster. Well guess what, oops he did it again. 10 tackles with 2 sacks and a forced fumble? Thats fantastic!

Remember, virtually one preseason performance from Adewale Ogunleye vaulted him into the starting position over the likes of Jay Williams, Rob Burnett, and David Bowens. I would not be surprised AT ALL if Lemanzer beats out Rob Burnett or Jay Williams. I actually think Burnett was kind of a disappointment. We signed the guy thinking he could come in part time and be the next Trace Armstrong. He wasn't even close, although he was versatile and could rush from the DT position along with Jay Williams. The coaches could also be a little tired of waiting for David Bowens' skills in practice to pay off in actual games. We all know D-Bo has a whole lot of potential, but he doesn't seem to take advantage in games...given that he fought injuries this year.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
I expect Kendall Newson to give bigger competition to Charlie Rogers than I do Robert Baker. We've been trying Baker back there for punts and kicks at various points for the past like 4 offseasons and have never been satisfied with his performance enough to roster him. If anyone is going to give Rogers good competition it will be Stokes or Newson I think, because Newson has just shown a lot more explosiveness over in Europe not to mention he was reportedly the best WR in World League.

This is what I was looking for from Lemanzer Williams when he had that 4 sack performance last week. I said if he manages to dominate in one or two more games like this, this guy could end up on our roster. Well guess what, oops he did it again. 10 tackles with 2 sacks and a forced fumble? Thats fantastic!

Remember, virtually one preseason performance from Adewale Ogunleye vaulted him into the starting position over the likes of Jay Williams, Rob Burnett, and David Bowens. I would not be surprised AT ALL if Lemanzer beats out Rob Burnett or Jay Williams. I actually think Burnett was kind of a disappointment. We signed the guy thinking he could come in part time and be the next Trace Armstrong. He wasn't even close, although he was versatile and could rush from the DT position along with Jay Williams. The coaches could also be a little tired of waiting for David Bowens' skills in practice to pay off in actual games. We all know D-Bo has a whole lot of potential, but he doesn't seem to take advantage in games...given that he fought injuries this year.

Burnett may have had more of an impact had Wally not come on so strong. Embarasment of wealth really.

Here's all I could find out about Lamanzer Williams.

He runs about 6'4" and 280 lbs. He was a 6th round draft choice (179th overall) by the Jacksonville Jaguars in 1998. He played sparingly during the regular season recording merely 1 tackle. However he did see playing time in both of the Jaguars' playoff games that year.

He flies under the radar screen a little from 1998 through 2000 but we do know that the Jags signed Williams to a contract in 1999, and then in 2000 was signed to the Seattle Seahawks right at the beginning of Free Agency on February 24th, 2000. From there all we know is that he has been signed to the Kansas City Chiefs, Minnesota Vikings, Berlin Thunder, Edmonton Eskimos, and most recently in 2002 he was signed to the St Louis Rams. Williams had a 21 yard fumble return for TD in preseason for the Vikes, but the Vikings released Williams in 2001 to make room for LB Rahim Abdullah.

He was a Minnesota Golden Gopher, and was voted 1st Team All-American in 1997 as well as 1st Team All-Big-Ten. He did hold the Golden Gopher record for 23.5 career sacks before Karon Riley broke it in 1999-2000. He only had one great year, 1997, when he recorded (get this) 18.5 sacks which was tied for best in the nation.

He had high hopes going to the Jacksonville Jaguars, with Jeff Lageman having only a one year contract, leaving Joel Smeenge and Tony Brackens as the only DEs of value that figure to be in the Jags plans for the future. He personally thought he and Brackens would be a great duo at DE. The Jags liked him enough that they kept calling him throughout the draft saying "Don't worry about the round. The thing you should worry about it is going to a place where you're going to play. You're the only defensive end we're drafting" Williams and some other analysts thought he might be drafted higher than he was, but the Golden Gophers' perennial mediocrity, only having one good season, and an absolutely terrible 40 time (5.0 seconds) combined to make him drop significantly.

Good news: The guy is good enough that he caught the attention of 6 NFL teams who decided to give him a shot at various points, including us. And he drew enough attention in limited time that the Berlin Thunder made him the first overall selection in the NFL Europe free agent draft a few years ago. His 18.5 sacks in 1997 is herculean. You can't argue too much with his 4 sacks at critical moments in last week's games, or his 10 tackle, 2 sack and 1 forced fumble performance this week. He's leading the league with 7 sacks now in I think 6 or 7 games.

Bad News: Talk about slow. The guy ran a 5.0 coming out of college back when he was like 265 lbs. He's more like 280 lbs now. The guy's been passed around the league like a vietnamese prostitute. He's 28 or 29 years old now and its hard to imagine that somehow the light just clicked on all the sudden or he got this dramatic increase in athletic ability. Good to note that he's doing his damage against likely NFL throwaways.

Conclusion: He either recently sold his soul to the devil, or he's on steroids. He merits some close watching when it comes to training camp and especially preseason games where he could receive a good look-see, but as of yet I don't expect him to beat D-Bo, Burnett, or Jay Williams...all dudes who have played in the NFL and can be really relied upon in the nickel rush to be a force to be reckoned with. Ogunleye is the type of dude that I don't see making big contributions in limited time, but I do see doing damage as a starter...and likewise I can't imagine Williams, and all his 5.0 time in the 40, being a real force in limited time but we gotta see him in preseason first. DE is not a position where the light just clicks on all the sudden in the twilight of a guy's career, at least not to my knowledge but I haven't really taken a good long look at it so admittedly I could be very very wrong.

Defensive line I think, is our strongest position, depth wise. However, it should be noted that Baker, Newson and Williams are doing this against scrubs and also rans. I would love for these guys to work out but I want to see them against some actual NFLers before I get worked up about them. Ogunleye I thought, did decently for us last year and I expect him to impove now that he has experience at that level and will be playing to try and secure a big contract.

I'm not sold on Ogunleye yet. I think he's serviceable and will do for now, but at the first sign of us losing passrush dominance, I'll be calling for us to sign or draft a legitimate passrusher opposite JT.

The reason I get excited about Newson is his special teams prowess, which seems like it would be pretty translatable to the NFL from NFL Europe, because in the real NFL its all scrubs that occupy the 40th to 53rd spots on the roster which I don't think is a far cry from in NFL Europe. That makes me think Newson has an excellent shot of making the team, and from there, who knows. Baker, to me there's no use gettin excited about his numbers. We've seen him over and over again and the guy hasn't been good enough to make this team...and the dude thats leading Europe over there is Matt Hatchette and we all know his story in the NFL. Newson might make a difference on special teams, which gets his foot in the door.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
I'm not sold on Ogunleye yet. I think he's serviceable and will do for now, but at the first sign of us losing passrush dominance, I'll be calling for us to sign or draft a legitimate passrusher opposite JT.

I agree. I think that in the games we had the toughest time with last year the biggest problem, other then the passing game being terrible, was not bieng able to sustain a consistent pass rush.

Ogunleye was a good player last year, but I wouldn't mind if we started to look at that position on D to upgrade next.

Newson, I admit, hs be loking impressive. The only thing I worry about is how it will translate. Sure, I would tend to agree ht the 40-53 spots are pretty much special team scrubs, but that is also the case in NFL Euroe no? So if that rings true, he is lighting it up against the 53-70 guys form an NFL roster essentially. I don't know how deep the rosters are over in Europe, if they run 53 deep or less. I guess I want to see him do it against some quality scrubs as opposed to Euro scrubs.:lol:

As far as Ogunleye goes, I think he will do well. He was probably still learning his position and getting used to it last year, as well as trying to shake of any rust tha tmight have occured from his injury. Who knows, perhaps he was still battling with the injury bug? It doesn't matter I suppose, I just think that if everyone is willing to give Fletcher more chances, than Ogunleye should certainly be given a few more. He contributed way more than anyone would have thought. Plus, last year was pretty much his first season seeing pro offenses. Hopefully now with some time, he can lern to read them a little better an capitalize when they double team JT.

First off I severely doubt they keep 53 men on the roster over in NFL Europe...Its probably more like 30 to 40 at the most and there's no reason really to believe that they are holding anything back on special teams in Europe the way the NFL does by not putting starters on special teams.

I tend not to think Ogunleye's gonna do much improvement from here out, and I'm not one of those people saying give Fletcher more chances. I think Fletcher has had plenty of chances to at least show us some HOPE for him, and he's yet to do it I think

Ck,

You do more work that Hank Goldberg, which actually isn't giving you enough credit. Nice summary.

But, lets me honest. The chances of an NFL Europe guy making the team, let alone any impact, is just very small. A QB may bounce around and then improve enough to make it, but I've never heard of that in a position like DE.

Look, I hope the guy turns out to be the real deal and we get a pass rusher from no where. But, no one gets cut 5 times without a good reason.

you guys dont get it do you? THIS IS NFL EUROPE. the players are trash and it means nothing. nothing at all. they are trash and its simple. most of those players will never ever ever be anything close to a starter in the nfl.

Back
Top Bottom