Anthony Steen doing 'whatever's best for the team' in Miami Dolphins' offensive line | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Anthony Steen doing 'whatever's best for the team' in Miami Dolphins' offensive line

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
23042178-mmmain.jpg

If the Miami Dolphins need Anthony Steen to step in for center Mike Pouncey again to start the 2017 NFL season, the former Alabama standout will be "comfortable with it now."
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/07/anthony_steen_doing_whatevers.html

well he has his weaknesses, however, doesn't matter how good a player is if they are always injured. /sigh. our line situation looks likely to be our weakness again.

I like the depth of this line, but C and both guard spots are tenuous for the starters. Still though, having guys like Urbik, Steen, Young, and the rookie dude is pretty solid for depth, much better than we've had in years past. If Tunsil can become the dominant LT he was projected to be and if Pouncey can miraculously stay healthy, this line can be well above average in this league. Obviously Pouncey's health is the huge question, but nobody knows whats really going on there, we're all just guessing and being pessimistic without any true medical knowledge of his situation in reality.

I'm worried about our OL. I have a low amount of faith in Bushrod's run blocking, low faith in Larsen in general, and am increasingly worried about Pouncey's health. At best we can describe James' play as a mixed bag.

Tunsil is the only one I'm confident about. I have hope for Asiata, but depending on a 5th round rookie to save an OL doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

We should have spent some money on at least one interior OL in free agency. I said it last year. I said it at the beginning, middle and end of this off-season. And I continue to be both amazed and frustrated in our inability to properly address this problem. Fingers crossed.

I'm interested to see how Steen looks this year. He came out of nowhere last year and impressed.
He was pretty good his first few starts, but then was injured.
I heard him in an interview say that he played through the pain because he felt his roster spot was precarious.
His play dropped off after the injury, but now that he's healthy I think with a year under his belt he will be better this season. I wouldn't discount him.

well he has his weaknesses, however, doesn't matter how good a player is if they are always injured. /sigh. our line situation looks likely to be our weakness again.

Well we keep bringing in mediocre players every year and do a patchwork job for our o-line, so it's no wonder our line sucks. Once and for all we need to draft a few o-linemen especially early and build a first rate group.

So we have a broken down injury prone center with Pouncey, 2 mediocre journeymen in Bushrod and Larsen at guard and a finesse underpowered tackle in James. Not much to get excited about.

So we have a broken down injury prone center with Pouncey, 2 mediocre journeymen in Bushrod and Larsen at guard and a finesse underpowered tackle in James. Not much to get excited about.
I dont think Gase would bring in Larsen, someone he knows, without thinking they can be successful, and I just hope the rookie comes in and takes LG for the next ten years...

I know it wouldn't the have been the sexy thing to do in the draft, but I can not believe they did not address O-Line before the 5th rd. To have such a glaring need and to just dismiss it is more than frustrating. Everything about the offense branches out from O-Line play. The QB can not pass the ball w/o the O-Line protecting and running game can not get going w/o blocking.:wall

I know it wouldn't the have been the sexy thing to do in the draft, but I can not believe they did not address O-Line before the 5th rd. To have such a glaring need and to just dismiss it is more than frustrating. Everything about the offense branches out from O-Line play. The QB can not pass the ball w/o the O-Line protecting and running game can not get going w/o blocking.:wall

Forget the 5th round. It should have been handled, once and for all, in free agency. Much less mystery and chance for Dallas Thomas with proven players. This guard dilemma has been going on for a few decades, mind you. The dolphins, like clockwork, went another direction. It was still a phenomenal draft but how they again shrugged off the reason this team has been brutal to watch on offense is staggering.

It will be a gift from the gods if interior line play isn't the Achilles heel of this team. At least the depth is palatable when compared to previous years, but that group doesn't even sniff inspiring confidence.

But, like every year, I'll be told to 'wait until games are played before I make up my mind', and round and round she goes.

Didn't know his story coming into the league. Great attitude, coming into his prime along with Asiata.

I will never bemoan progress when it comes to our offensive line. I own a mansion, und a yacht...Again!

I will never bemoan progress when it comes to our offensive line. I own a mansion, und a yacht...Again!

The QB can not pass the ball w/o the O-Line protecting and running game can not get going w/o blocking.:wall

ahha! you know, you just might be on to something there!

Well we keep bringing in mediocre players every year and do a patchwork job for our o-line, so it's no wonder our line sucks. Once and for all we need to draft a few o-linemen especially early and build a first rate group.

Once and for all? You realize 3 of our starters we took in the first round? We also have spent so many picks on guards in recent years that didn't pan out. Last season We cut a 2nd 3rd and a 5th round guard we drafted in the past 3 years. You only have so many draft picks.

I agree the o-line has room to grow, mainly at G. What I don't agree with is how eveyone just expects to magically fix it. There are limited resources, I.E. salary cap, 7 draft picks, so you can't fix everything at once. Our defense needed a complete overhaul and needed every draft pick and every free agent we signed. I liked Lamp but grabbing DE in round 1 was a 100x more important. This was a really bad off season for free agent o-line. Jake freaking Joekel got a boat load of money, and he was a complete flame out. Zeiter and and Leary were he only slam dunks at G, but it would have cost us 10 million per year to grab either. That's LT money, and as we could afford it this year we could not next and years after.

Then the Mike Pouncey dilemma. He hand cuffed us, as a he has a huge salary, and he is a game changer if healthy. Last season he missed 11 games, but before that he has only missed 8 games 5 years. Do you cut ties with a top 3 center in the NFL to get a cheaper more reliable, but less dominant player? Or do you give him one more season to see if he can stay on the field? I think Gase made he right call as it is just too soon to give up on an all world talent like Pouncey, and if he can stay healthy this group will be better than average.

Back
Top Bottom