any word on wilkins? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

any word on wilkins?

Coach_Rob

Club Member
Reaction score
any word on his 5th year option? i know we have until may 5th (i believe that is the correct date). i just see alot of options being picked up and was wondering if i missed something

any word on his 5th year option? i know we have until may 5th (i believe that is the correct date). i just see alot of options being picked up and was wondering if i missed something
I would assume it to be a TC thing time wise.

Cameron Wolfe

14m

The Dolphins are exercising the 5th year option on DT Christian Wilkins, per source. Miami views Wilkins as a foundational player for their defensive identity with his energy and work ethic. A lot of steady improvement since being drafted including a strong 2021 campaign.

Can someone explain the practical reasons behind a 5th year as opposed to an extension? Is it basically putting off the extension for financial reasons, while still keeping the player?

I didn't realize how good of a year he had. Sometimes you miss out on the big fellas

Can someone explain the practical reasons behind a 5th year as opposed to an extension? Is it basically putting off the extension for financial reasons, while still keeping the player?
Because there is still a gap between what Wilkins is asking for and what the Dolphins are willing to offer. Picking up the option means the team believes it's going to take more than a week to get to an agreement.

I dont think there was every any kind of doubt that they wouldnt pick up the option if he wasnt extended long term. to be fair to both sides you really need to play out this year anyways for extending. His sacks tripled, QB hits quadrupled, TFL's doubled, tackles sky rocketed. If he repeats this year then he deserves to get paid. before this year he was a quality player, but just a run stuffing DL. you can replace those every couple years in the draft cheap. IF he continues to show he can get to the QB then he deserves more money and the new contract.

Back
Top Bottom