anybody care to read tomorrows newspaper? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

anybody care to read tomorrows newspaper?

constantine

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Hi This is from your pal constantine...México´s dolfan #1

DOLPHINS NAME RICHARD SMITH DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR
The Miami Dolphins today named Richard Smith as their defensive coordinator, the team announced. Smith, who most recently was the assistant head coach/linebackers with Detroit for the past two seasons, brings 17 years of experience as an NFL assistant to the Dolphins staff. From 1988-89 Smith worked on the same Houston Oilers staff as Dolphins Head Coach Nick Saban.

“Richard is an outstanding coach who has been in the NFL for 17 years,†Saban said. “He is one of the most respected coaches in the league, who possesses a wealth of knowledge and experience. I coached with him in Houston in 1988 and 1989, and I’ve always thought he was one of the best coaches I’ve had the chance to work with.â€Â

Also on Tuesday, Saban announced the assignments of several coaches who had previously been hired to the staff; Derek Dooley-tight ends, George Edwards-linebackers, Travis Jones-assistant defensive line, Will Muschamp-assistant head coach/defense, Dan Quinn-defensive line, Bobby Williams-running backs. Among his responsibilities, Muschamp will work with the team’s safeties and the nickel package.

Before joining the Lions in 2003, Smith spent six seasons (1997-02) with the San Francisco 49ers coaching the linebackers. During that time, four of his linebackers were selected for the Pro Bowl; Julian Peterson in 2002, Winfred Tubbs in 1998 and both Ken Norton, Jr. and Lee Woodall in 1997.

Prior to his stint in San Francisco, Smith spent four seasons (1993-96) with the Denver Broncos coaching special teams, while also assisting with the linebackers for three seasons (1993-95).

Smith began his NFL coaching career with the Houston Oilers in 1988 where he coached special teams and assisted with the tight ends (1988-89), linebackers (1990-91) and the offensive line (1992). The Oilers qualified for the postseason in each of Smith’s five seasons with the club. In fact, the teams with which Smith has been a part of in the NFL have reached the playoffs in 11 of his 17 seasons, including four appearances with San Francisco (1997-98 and 2001-02), two appearances with Denver (1993, 1996) and five appearances with Houston (1988-92).

In 1987, Smith spent a season at the University of Arizona coaching linebackers and special teams after tutoring the outside linebackers and special teams from 1984-86 at the University of California.

Smith began his coaching career as offensive line coach at Rio Hondo (Calif.) Junior College from 1979-80. He then moved on to Cal State-Fullerton, where he tutored the Titans’ defensive line for three seasons (1981-83).

Smith was an offensive lineman for two years (1975-76) at Rio Hondo before transferring to Fresno State, where he played from 1977-78 and helped the Bulldogs to the 1977 PCAA title. Smith graduated from Fresno State in 1979 with a degree in physical education.

He and his wife, Patti, have three daughters, Morgan, Aimee and Whitney, and a son, Travis.

--DOLPHINS--

DOLPHINS TENDER PAIR
The Miami Dolphins today tendered center Seth McKinney and defensive tackle Dario Romero, their only two restricted free agents, the team announced. Both were tendered at the original draft round compensation level. McKinney entered the league as a third-round draft choice in 2002 while Romero came into the league as an undrafted free agent.

--DOLPHINS--

MIAMI DOLPHINS 2005 COACHING STAFF
        • NICK SABAN -- Head Coach

KEITH ARMSTRONG -- Special Teams
          CHARLIE BAGGETT -- Wide Receivers
          TIM DAVIS -- Assistant Offensive Line
          DEREK DOOLEY -- Tight Ends
          GEORGE EDWARDS -- Linebackers
          ERIC FEARS -- Assistant Strength & Conditioning
          JOHN GAMBLE -- Strength & Conditioning
          JASON GARRETT -- Quarterbacks
          JUDD GARRETT -- Offensive Quality Control
          BERT HILL -- Associate Strength & Conditioning
          HUDSON HOUCK -- Offensive Line
          TRAVIS JONES -- Assistant Defensive Line
          SCOTT LINEHAN -- Offensive Coordinator
          WILL MUSCHAMP -- Assistant Head Coach/Defense
          MEL PHILLIPS -- Defensive Backs
          GLENN PIRES -- Defensive Quality Control
          DAN QUINN -- Defensive Line
          RICHARD SMITH -- Defensive Coordinator
          BOBBY WILLIAMS -- Running Backs

Why will he get in trouble for posting that? Firesuit? Im confused.

Danny1339 said:
um....why?

I ain't mad at ya, but there has been an absolute barrage of posts over and over again on the same subject, and some on here feel the need to play policeman and chastize people for posting the same topic.

DolphinDevil28 said:
I ain't mad at ya, but there has been an absolute barrage of posts over and over again on the same subject, and some on here feel the need to play policeman and chastize people for posting the same topic.

I really don't know what you mean. I was addressing Constantine

Back on topic does anyone know anything about Richard Smith? if I'm remembering correctly Detroits Defenses was not that good the past couple of years.

godfater21 said:
Back on topic does anyone know anything about Richard Smith? if I'm remembering correctly Detroits Defenses was not that good the past couple of years.

He was with the 49ers...I guess, and did a very good job there

Nice post constantine.It looks like a good hire and the missing piece to the coaching bonanza Saban has gathered.

Back
Top Bottom