Anyone but Benson... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Anyone but Benson...

Dubfire

Deep Dish Fan
Reaction score
This guy worries me. Watching him the last 3 years at UT, he never showed up in big games. But then again, Texas has had a habit of choking a lot in the big games ever since Mack Brown got there. Judging from some of the statements he made at the combine, you have to question his character and maturity. I dont need to list them, we've all read them...

Now when asked what his biggest adjustment would be in the pros, he said "money management".

The marijuana scares me too. I hope we stay away...

Brown or Caddy (if we do go RB at No. 2) would provide the same value and less question marks in my opinion...

I just have a bad feeling about Benson. And no it has nothing to do with Unmentionable (#34).

Anyone else share that same feeling?

aight lets actually look at it instead of just speculation cause of the rose bowl game...

at Oklahoma (finish ranked 3rd) 23 carries 92 yards - not good numbers, but with young having a horrible game (8-23 86 yards), they were able to clog up the box and focus on stopping benson, texas was shut out this game...

at Texas Tech (finished ranked 17th) 38 carries 168 yards 1 td - workhorse this game, completely wore down that tech defense

at Colorado (finished just outside the top 25) 32 carries 141 yards 2 tds again this is on the road... not bad...

Texas A&M (were a top 25 team most of the season) 33 carries 165 yards 1 td pretty good numbers to me, texas was down early but came bafck in the second half as benson wore them down and had a 4th qtr td to seal it...

and look at these numbers from 2003
Nebraska (Nov. 1) 28 174 3
at OK State (Nov. 8) 27 180 1
Texas Tech (Nov. 15) 24 142 2
at Texas A&M (Nov. 28) 35 283 4

all those teams were good, nebraska was 7-1 at the time, OK state 7-2, tech 7-3... he basically single handedly took em to the holiday bowl that year and in that game he had 85 yards and a touch, but they went down early in the 3rd and shyd away from him...

its not like any game against any ranked opponent he didn't show up... i dont remember ladainain tearing it up against top 10 teams his college career... seemed to turn out fine...

Wholeheartedly agree. The fins have had way too many brushes with talented but emotionally troubled players (RW, David Boston, Lawrence Phillips, Cecil Collins, Demetrius Underwood). Fortunately, I think Saban puts a high emphasis on character as well as talent (has psychological testing as part of each interview), so I think that should cause Benson to drop below some other talented backs on his board.

and the money management quote is the ABSOLUTE truth... all these young guys thats what coaches worry about most when they draft em, how they will react when they get those millions of dollars they never had before... at least teams know he knows this will be an issue and he'll be prepared to resolve it... that was a beautiful answer...

arsenal said:
aight lets actually look at it instead of just speculation cause of the rose bowl game...

at Oklahoma (finish ranked 3rd) 23 carries 92 yards - not good numbers, but with young having a horrible game (8-23 86 yards), they were able to clog up the box and focus on stopping benson, texas was shut out this game...

at Texas Tech (finished ranked 17th) 38 carries 168 yards 1 td - workhorse this game, completely wore down that tech defense

at Colorado (finished just outside the top 25) 32 carries 141 yards 2 tds again this is on the road... not bad...

Texas A&M (were a top 25 team most of the season) 33 carries 165 yards 1 td pretty good numbers to me, texas was down early but came bafck in the second half as benson wore them down and had a 4th qtr td to seal it...

all those teams were good, nebraska was 7-1 at the time, OK state 7-2, tech 7-3... he basically single handedly took em to the holiday bowl that year and in that game he had 85 yards and a touch, but they went down early in the 3rd and shyd away from him...

its not like any game against any ranked opponent he didn't show up... i dont remember ladainain tearing it up against top 10 teams his college career... seemed to turn out fine...

It's good to know I'm not the only one who gets it... Texas has had no passing game.The offense is based around the running game. In big games against good defenses, other teams have shut down Benson and forced Vince Young beat them with his arm, and that's obviously not his style. OU/great defenses have the box loaded with 8-9 all day long. You cant blame Benson for lack of other talent besides him. This guy is a workhorse and carried Texas.

Hostile7 said:
It's good to know I'm not the only one who gets it... Texas has had no passing game.The offense is based around the running game. In big games against good defenses, other teams have shut down Benson and forced Vince Young beat them with his arm, and that's obviously not his style. OU/great defenses have the box loaded with 8-9 all day long. You cant blame Benson for lack of other talent besides him. This guy is a workhorse and carried Texas.

BS!!!:fire: OU plays zone and man all day long buddy. And Benson chokes in BIG GAMES!!!! Get over it...we're taking him!!!!!!!!!!

arsenal said:

he's the real deal

yeah brown was much better though...

against number 15 tenn. - 16 carries 50 yards 0 tds
against number 5 GA - 12 carries 51 yards 0 tds
sugar bowl - 14 carries 68 yards 0 tds
against a subpar alabama - 16 carries 55 yards 1 td

his last 4 games of the season - 58 carries 224 yards (3.86 per) 1 td

so as you can see anyone can scrutinize a few games... but theres no merit to it... his biggest games were against arkansas, louisina tech, mississippi... of which NONE were over .500

does that mean he sucks? cant perform the big game? naaaaa.. same **** with benson

arsenal said:
yeah brown was much better though...

against number 15 tenn. - 16 carries 50 yards 0 tds
against number 5 GA - 12 carries 51 yards 0 tds
sugar bowl - 14 carries 68 yards 0 tds
against a subpar alabama - 16 carries 55 yards 1 td

his last 4 games of the season - 58 carries 224 yards (3.86 per) 1 td

so as you can see anyone can scrutinize a few games... but theres no merit to it... his biggest games were against arkansas, louisina tech, mississippi... of which NONE were over .500

does that mean he sucks? cant perform the big game? naaaaa.. same **** with benson
but you forgot to mention the fact that he was splitting carries with Caddy and the subpar alabama team's defense was top 10 in the nation

i know he was splitting carries, but his averages those games was sub par... but thats my point, these arguements are dumb... benson just like brown doesnt CHOKE during the big games, be serious...

oaklahoma was a top 10 defense this year too
missouri was a top 15 defense and benson dropped 150 and 2 tds on them

its a dumb arguement against benson is all im saying, just like its a dumb arguement against brown, or against LT a few years ago

Subpar Alabama defense???That defense was #1 in yardage allowed when Auburn
played them.

umm nowhere did i say subpar DEFENSE... i said a subpar team... did they even finish .500?

edit: well i didn't say TEAM, but i meant team, haha

My bad,the only reason for bad season was we lost starting QB,2-starting RB's
and starting FB.The defense was one of the best in nation,and just about every
body is coming back.ROLL TIDE

Back
Top Bottom