Anyone but me disagree... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Anyone but me disagree...

I'm a big non-fan of baseball, unless the fish are in the playoffs, then I think it's my duty to support the home team. But actually watching baseball makes me want to render myself blind in a violent way. Needless to say, I really would like it if baseball, or any mention of it, were kept out of the football forums. It's like wearing a big ol' crucifix into a synagogue.

I am a huge fan of the Heat (quiet, Phil...) but even so, I don't want to see any mention of basketball in the football forums.

I think that the point is that there's a place for everything, and other sports don't belong in the same room with football.

phunwin said:
I'm okay with it as long as:
1. it stays out of the main forums (and that's apparently been violated now) and
2. I get to write about the 'Canes. :D

And I promise not to pimp non-Phins related work in the main forums.

I'm not a baseball fan but I'm with the group who doesn't see how it affects Finheaven unless the baseball subject creeps into the main forum. I do see that as a possibility, given the zealous nature any any true fan but the overlap can be policed.

Phunwin, I think that's a great trade off and gets my vote!

:D

Personally, I think it's the wrong forum. Now, if AJ wants to branch out and create sportsheaven.com, well, go nuts.

But let me have some place with just the Dolphins...even if it's only trash about Ricky Williams. I'll still take it, god help me.

I don't mind the discussion boards for other sports, but I do question the wisdom of having Commentary on them.

DrAstroZoom said:
I don't mind the discussion boards for other sports, but I do question the wisdom of having Commentary on them.

After further review, I'm thinking maybe it's not so bad. I dunno. So ... confused ...

I've always found that one of the easiest things in the world to do... is to NOT click on a link. Hence, if there are properly labeled, properly placed forums or links available here that are NOT specific to Dolphins football and I'm not interested in their content, I just don't click on them. ALL OF US ALREADY DO THIS, as not everyone who comes here necessarily has a desire to check out Political/War topics, or the Ladies Lounge, or the Gaming Forum, or whatever.

So... assuming that we can segregate content into properly labeled forums and there are no other significant issues beyond proper structuring, labeling and placement... my cost/benefit analysis on this issue moves forward to "bigger picture" considerations. And this is where the upside lies:

Hits is good.

The site needs to generate revenues to offset costs. Maintaining some South Florida sports forums beyond football is no different than offering non-football forums like the Lounge, except that it will bring some additional traffic onto the site (particularly during football's off-season) that might not otherwise visit... and those people will add to the number of hits on our advertisers.

What do I care if there are a bunch of folks clicking into forums and links that don't interfere with my beloved Dolphins forums... ESPECIALLY WHEN THESE VISITORS AND THEIR CLICKS HELP FUND THE SITE?

This site is bigger than AJ's personal checking account... and it's bigger than the generous and incredibly appreciated contributions of our Premium members. The bottom-line is the bottom-line: If the staff manages this properly, the direct cost to our Phin-centric members is nothing more than what it takes to ignore a link. And the benefit is increased revenues.

If I can help take some of the pressure to make ends meet off AJ by bypassing (or outright deleting from view) certain forums, you can bet I'm gonna be for it.

P4E said:
I've always found that one of the easiest things in the world to do... is to NOT click on a link. Hence, if there are properly labeled, properly placed forums or links available here that are NOT specific to Dolphins football and I'm not interested in their content, I just don't click on them. ALL OF US ALREADY DO THIS, as not everyone who comes here necessarily has a desire to check out Political/War topics, or the Ladies Lounge, or the Gaming Forum, or whatever.

So... assuming that we can segregate content into properly labeled forums and there are no other significant issues beyond proper structuring, labeling and placement... my cost/benefit analysis on this issue moves forward to "bigger picture" considerations. And this is where the upside lies:

Hits is good.

The site needs to generate revenues to offset costs. Maintaining some South Florida sports forums beyond football is no different than offering non-football forums like the Lounge, except that it will bring some additional traffic onto the site (particularly during football's off-season) that might not otherwise visit... and those people will add to the number of hits on our advertisers.

What do I care if there are a bunch of folks clicking into forums and links that don't interfere with my beloved Dolphins forums... ESPECIALLY WHEN THESE VISITORS AND THEIR CLICKS HELP FUND THE SITE?

This site is bigger than AJ's personal checking account... and it's bigger than the generous and incredibly appreciated contributions of our Premium members. The bottom-line is the bottom-line: If the staff manages this properly, the direct cost to our Phin-centric members is nothing more than what it takes to ignore a link. And the benefit is increased revenues.

If I can help take some of the pressure to make ends meet off AJ by bypassing (or outright deleting from view) certain forums, you can bet I'm gonna be for it.

Nicely put. Well, except for the "Hits is good," which made me involuntarily cringe a bit -- unless you were honoring Gordon Gecko.

DrAstroZoom said:
Nicely put. Well, except for the "Hits is good," which made me involuntarily cringe a bit -- unless you were honoring Gordon Gecko.

Twas more like this than it was an allusion to Gordo:

Pie are round.

:)

P4E said:

Hits is good.

Great points and well put. The idea will work if the following is true:

Current visits X clicks = positive cash flow

I'm not privy to the inside scoop but I hope that is the case.

If that is not the case, one can assume that increased hits will increase costs and, IMHO, not yield enough clicks to offset the costs. That, of course, would not be the case during off-season when the other visitors would help offset the fixed costs.

I'm also assuming that part of the revenue is generated by sales of Fin related merchandise. The non-Finfan visitors could not be counted upon to add to that revenue stream at the same percentage as FinFans.

Having said that, I do believe that if we want to make it work, there are enough intelligent and dedicated people here to make it work.

Sorry for not inputting enough. I'm currently out of town and able to jump on the computer for a second.

I just want to say that there are some great points here. Definitely. We decided to bring in a South Florida commentary for a couple of reasons...

There has been an increased demand for it. We obviously are going to keep our main focus on football, no doubt. Whether we start another site, that remains very unlikely. I personally don't have the time to do it right now. Nor the desire.

We are going to test it out. So far, the commentary has gotten a very good response in the forum that it belongs.

We do plan to better seperate the commentary for those members who don't like baseball or South Florida sports for that matter. However, that will take a week or so.

Lastly, more hits could possibly be higher cost. However, I don't believe so for this. South Florida commentary won't bring in new users because that's not what we're known for. People aren't going to go around saying "Go to FinHeaven for Marlins talk." However, it may bring current people to visit the site more often... which is what we want. Extra cost though? No, I don't believe so. Better numbers? Not quite.

However, despite that. Will there be happier visitors? Yes. And, that's what I like. Happy visitors are better visitors and, for that matter, better customers.

Whatever. I think what makes this place special is it's focus and commitment on the Miami Dolphins. More hits? I don't know, where do you stop? The Heat? The Marlins? UM/UF/FSU? Gardening?

Either way I said my piece. Now back to talking about the Fins...

So what are we averaging now? About one baseball commentary every other day.
This is getting out of hand.

I agree. He's been told to slow it down. At least until we get the seperation done.

Back
Top Bottom