Anyone Just See What Happened in NYG/WAS? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Anyone Just See What Happened in NYG/WAS?

J. David Wannyheimer

Writing in pencil on laminated cards since 2011
Club Member
Reaction score
The officials just gave Washington a first and ten on a close spot without a measurement, then after Washington ran a play (incomplete pass), they said it was 4th down and 1.

I don't know how the NFL can continue to have any credibility with officiating like this.

I don't think that really had any appreciable impact on the game, but that's definitely up there with the worst officiating blunders I've ever seen.

Someone should be fired or demoted for that.

That was absolutely AWFUL. You tell Washington they have a 1st down, so they call and run a play you would run on 1st down, then when it falls incomplete you tell them "oh, wait. It's 4th and 1 now. That was 3rd down." Had it been called CORRECTLY the 'Skins would have run a COMPLETELY different play instead of that deep pass.

Now, does that mean the result of the game would have changed? I don't know. But you have to really say the refs are somewhat to blame that the 'Skins lost at the end. Though, all the drops throughout the game would have made it not matter.

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Tapatalk

The officiating has been awful all season, league wide. They really need to make these refs full time and figure out a way to make them responsible if they blow calls.

First down measurements are all but a thing of the past. I'd estimate they don't do it 30% as often as frequently. College and pro. Watch old tapes and that aspect jumps out quickly. It's not a coincidence. With the games running longer and with replay reviews taking up time, the officials have obviously been told to speed things up wherever they can. One victim is first down measurements, and getting it correct. Decades ago there's no question that play would have been stopped for a measurement.

Nowadays the most frequent remedy is simply to mark the ball a foot or so further upfield than the actual gain, and call it a first down. Move the chains. Again, that aspect jumps out immediately when watching old tapes. In this era the extreme benefit of a doubt goes to the offense. The topic has been frequent on Canes boards, when the opponent is marked beyond the gain, and a first down instantly signaled. In one game it happened several times, prompting multiple threads. Canes fans think they are being wronged. But it's simply a national trend.

Back
Top Bottom