Anyone know of another player like Egnew? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Anyone know of another player like Egnew?

Egnew on tape showed NOTHING that warranted a 3rd round grade.

NOTHING. I know a few draft "guru's on here loved him, i have no idea waht htey saw in a player that doesn't run routes more than 5 yards and weren't slants.

I thought he was horrible on film and as we all can see he isn't just horrible but hes ****ing dumb as ****. A 3rd rounder not making 1 game isn't pathetic, it isn't sad, it isn't his fault. Its the GM and coaches job for thinking that kid is a 3rd round talent when he had 5-6 written all over him.

You don't watch tape. Sorry. Cool, you probably watched a couple of youtube videos on the kid. Far thing from tape. People like to throw around the "I watched game tape" of so and so player to make it sound like they know what they are talking about. You didn't pop a reel into a projector or put a disk in of game tape.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

btw, I'm not saying Egnew will be another Duper, just showing that people on this board are way too fast to say someone is a bust due to the fact the player is not going to the probowl in their rookie year.

Ozzy rules!!

I didn't read the whole thread so I don't know if anyone used Mark Duper as an example of a guy drafted high(2nd round-52 overall)and played only in 2 games back in 82. Then in 83 when Dan bacame the starter Duper became a starter too and the rest is history.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DupeMa00.htm

Ozzy rules!!

well like I said though Duper didnt play mainly because the strike killed training camp and there was only a 9 game season. We had good depth a wr and were a run first team with the best back in the afc and a really raw qb named David Woodly.

[h=2]A.J. Jenkins Stats[/h]

SCORING STATS
SEASONTEAMGPPASSRUSHRECRETTD2PTPATFGPTS
Career20000.00.00.00.00.00.0

49ers 1st round pick....

I thought it was interesting this year that Missouri tight ends caught only a handful of passes. That's all it was, a handful. I had bets on some of their games and they basically didn't use or target a tight end. Can't replace Egnew.

Duper has been mentioned. Otherwise, I don't remember too many examples of a high drafted Dolphin rookie who disappointed early then had a tremendous career.

We certainly have had higher picks who seldom or never set foot on the field as rookies. During the glory years I remember a string of them. Otto Stowe, Mike Kadish and Chuck Bradley were our top picks in 1971 through 1973, although only Kadish was a first rounder. Stowe eventually played a little bit, and he had some moments during the perfect season, but not in key games, if I remember correctly. Kadish was shipped to Buffalo where be became a moderate defensive tackle, but kind of blubbery. I'm not sure Bradley ever suited up for us.

The teams were winning big but that didn't mean the fan base was immune from frustration that the hot shot rookie was absent. Keep in mind we were winning by blowouts all the time and there would be murmurs in the Orange Bowl to get the kid in there. But they weren't always active. It was a 40 man roster and no practice squad.

I saw somebody say you can't compare general managers from era to era. Quite true, in those days there were 17 rounds and 40 man rosters. Players with tons of ability had no room. We cut Leon Gray and Gary Fencik. There was no spot for Joe Theismann so he didn't sign with us. These days it's not exactly a spectacular feat, IMO, to draft 7 guys and find a way not to jettison any of them, with a 53 man roster plus a practice squad. That's how you get the marginal players touted year after year, as if they're special. A 5th rounder make the team, hot damn. That Jeff Ireland is sharp.

Keep this in mind. The 2 TEs to come out of Missouri prior to Egnew were both studs there but never amounted to anything in the NFL. They have the same issue as Egnew. A lack of strength resulting in poor blocking. Hopefully this staff can develop his inner core because he has very good pass catching skills.

Egnew had more bench reps than Jonathan Martin did, and Martin can block (kind of). Judging by his measurables, I'd say he knows his way around a weight room. I think it has more to do with technique.

Back
Top Bottom