Anyone Who Doesn’t Think Sports Is Just “show Biz” | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Anyone Who Doesn’t Think Sports Is Just “show Biz”

royalshank

Not a Game-Changer
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
I was over at NHL.com where I was reading about the trade Nashville made w my home state of NJ, sending the high profile PK Subban to the Devils. I couldn’t believe this quote:

"P.K. is excited, and it is a great thing," Devils general manager Ray Shero said. "It is good for our market. It is great for the Devils franchise and in our area, I think we deserve to have Jack Hughes, Taylor Hall, Nico Hischier and now P.K. Subban. It's the entertainment business and that is what it is about."

A total admission that pro sports is a business - an entertainment one at that. Where’s the, “this guy can help us win a championship” talk? I get this is hockey. My point is, if it’s this way in the LEAST commercialized sport of the big 4, the NFL must be scripted like WWE. That non call in the NFC title game - hey, LA is a bigger market for the SB. Unreal.

Full article: https://www.nhl.com/news/pk-subban-traded-to-new-jersey-by-nashville/c-307989140?tid=278542340

This ain't exactly new "News"

All your major professional American sports are entertainment and money driven. In the past decade I don't know how many times I've posted here that leagues like the NFL are a business first and a sport second.

It's the rabid and delusional fans that take the wins and losses way too seriously. Much more seriously than anybody involved takes it.

When you're making the same millions either way - winning or losing doesn't affect you as much as the money. The order of priority for NFL players, coaches, and executives are as follows:

1. Contract (money)
2. Competition (job security)
3. Winning

Priorities of the professional fanbase:

1. Not losing
2. Winning
3. Which player's jersey should I buy

Priorities of NFL owners and the league:

1. Revenue
2. Revenue
3. Revenue

i think you can read that comment in different ways, make no doubt about it, PK Subban was brought in because he can help a team win. I used to hate him because he killed my Hurricanes. But yes it is sort of beneficial that he is sort of Cam Newtonish/Russell Westbrook like with his outlandishness sometimes, and the Devils will be seen more on social media due to his g/f's followings as much as his. Ultimately winning and entertainment sort of go hand in hand though. I'll use the Hurricanes again, after wins this year they started doing team celebrations at mid ice to get the crowd more intrigued post game..it rubbed alot of old timers wrong, but the fans ate it up to the point its going to be on the next NHL game. Granted they care about money too, but i really feel like hockey would be the sport you would see the most passion for actually the game...very few hockey players make "business decisions" when it comes to injury.

I even said in the Jakeem Grant big year thread where he said it was his bag year, to me it just seems weird that it is so weird to hear what seems like every other player now just saying bags or money. I dont think i've ever heard a single owner come out publicly and say "I drafted kyler murray cause hes going to put fans in the seat, help us be a more entertaining squad, and help me securr more bags" It just sounds ignorant, we know the owners are all about the bottom line, yes some owners do care about their legacy when it comes to their actual teams and are fan boys, i look at the likes of Cuban and Jones. I even thought about cancelling sunday ticket this year with the first wave of offseason changes, then when we got fitz, i was like "hell might keep it, we might lose a lot but the losing will be more exciting than some of our wins in the past. So yes hoping to see the team win, but just the fact that you never know what the hell will happen with him at QB is intrigueing...then we got Rosen and it kind of excited me for the future..so cha ching.

I really dont see anything wrong with people being obsessed finatics, if you want to get your favorite teams tattoo, awesome, whats the difference in that and getting a tattoo of a cartoon character, if you want to cuss and throw stuff at the tv, or rage vent on a team forum after a loss and blame such and such for half assing something, i see nothing delusional about that, its your passion. and to think players dont care about winning, oh they do big time. in the current days where its not taboo for players to talk about all they care about is money, we've heard how many times from players "players on winning teams get paid" If Jakeem Grant (still using him just as example) goes the **** off for 175 yards and 3 td's in a loss in week 17 for a 6-10 team after having a mediocre season, compared to Grant going for those same numbers in the super bowl or conference championship game, even with equal reg season numbers, his value just went up ALOT, including a few other players for the fins values go up.

As far as the games being scripted or rigged, i was called a fool once on here because i said that it is probably passed down preferential treatment for some teams, but at the same time, another poster called me out on it "In all of history of all the games, how come noone has ever come out as a whisteblower and said, "I was told to enforce more penalties in this game" sure the commisioners of the leagues and the sports have enough revenue they could have anyone killed they liked and get away with it, but over history there wouldve been at least one leak

Professional sports has always been an entertainment business. Look at old footage of Yankee Stadium or any old baseball stadium from the 1940s. “Hit It Here To Get An Arrow Shirt”. The good people at Arrow Shirts didn’t put up that sign because the good people who owned the Yankees asked them to cover up a broken wall. They put it up because Arrow Shirts paid them to put it up. Do you know how much money Joe DiMaggio would’ve gotten from Heinz Ketchup had he gotten a hit in that 57th consecutive game? $100,000 was the figure I heard. Even earlier than that, Babe Ruth was bought by the Yankees because the Red Sox owner needed cash for a Broadway play. Always was and will be a business.

Professional sports has always been an entertainment business. Look at old footage of Yankee Stadium or any old baseball stadium from the 1940s. “Hit It Here To Get An Arrow Shirt”. The good people at Arrow Shirts didn’t put up that sign because the good people who owned the Yankees asked them to cover up a broken wall. They put it up because Arrow Shirts paid them to put it up. Do you know how much money Joe DiMaggio would’ve gotten from Heinz Ketchup had he gotten a hit in that 57th consecutive game? $100,000 was the figure I heard. Even earlier than that, Babe Ruth was bought by the Yankees because the Red Sox owner needed cash for a Broadway play. Always was and will be a business.
I just wish the Dolphins weren't in the comedy genre. Hopefully we can switch to the action genre

All good takes. I was just shocked that Shero came out and said “it’s an entertainment business”. I had not rooting interest in the NFC title game but it’s hard for me to NOT believe that non call was a business decision by the league.

I was over at NHL.com where I was reading about the trade Nashville made w my home state of NJ, sending the high profile PK Subban to the Devils. I couldn’t believe this quote:

"P.K. is excited, and it is a great thing," Devils general manager Ray Shero said. "It is good for our market. It is great for the Devils franchise and in our area, I think we deserve to have Jack Hughes, Taylor Hall, Nico Hischier and now P.K. Subban. It's the entertainment business and that is what it is about."

A total admission that pro sports is a business - an entertainment one at that. Where’s the, “this guy can help us win a championship” talk? I get this is hockey. My point is, if it’s this way in the LEAST commercialized sport of the big 4, the NFL must be scripted like WWE. That non call in the NFC title game - hey, LA is a bigger market for the SB. Unreal.

Full article: https://www.nhl.com/news/pk-subban-traded-to-new-jersey-by-nashville/c-307989140?tid=278542340

It sure is. Just like how Gretzky got traded to LA. I’m sure NHL had their hands in the deal to market such a great player in the USA in a market like LA. I’m sure they had to trade him for the better of the league and business.

NHL is really trying to market their product in the south. Just like Crosby landed in Pitts. How is the lottery done behind closed doors?

All sports are rigged

Just read that Adrian Peterson squandered his $100 million dollars in career earnings and owes more then he will likely ever make again. Good.

I scold most of my friends and family members who need team trinkets and stickers on their vehicles. Jerseys of players they don’t realize won’t be around much longer.

I don’t contribute. I will continue to not contribute. And it feels so good.

There are some quality people in professional athletics for sure. I don’t begrudge any specific one of them for winning a genetic lottery but I am not wearing your logo on my person.

It sure is. Just like how Gretzky got traded to LA. I’m sure NHL had their hands in the deal to market such a great player in the USA in a market like LA. I’m sure they had to trade him for the better of the league and business.

NHL is really trying to market their product in the south. Just like Crosby landed in Pitts. How is the lottery done behind closed doors?

All sports are rigged
You’re probably right. They had to get the greatest player in hockey (possibly ever) out of the tiny Edmonton market and to somewhere more “glamorous”. It worked too as LA made the Cup in ‘93. There is no way you trade that guy at that time. They for manage to win one more after he left but cmon man.

Just read that Adrian Peterson squandered his $100 million dollars in career earnings and owes more then he will likely ever make again. Good.

I scold most of my friends and family members who need team trinkets and stickers on their vehicles. Jerseys of players they don’t realize won’t be around much longer.

I don’t contribute. I will continue to not contribute. And it feels so good.

There are some quality people in professional athletics for sure. I don’t begrudge any specific one of them for winning a genetic lottery but I am not wearing your logo on my person.

Last time I wore a jersey was my Bay City Wildcats jersey my Senior year of high school in 1983.

I’ve never understood how grown men can wear a jersey with another grown man’s name on it. Logos are fine. I wear plenty of Crimson Tide and Hartselle Tiger gear.

If you see me in a jersey I’m hitting somebody - and I’m well into my 50’s so it probably ain’t happening.

Last time I wore a jersey was my Bay City Wildcats jersey my Senior year of high school in 1983.

I’ve never understood how grown men can wear a jersey with another grown man’s name on it. Logos are fine. I wear plenty of Crimson Tide and Hartselle Tiger gear.

If you see me in a jersey I’m hitting somebody - and I’m well into my 50’s so it probably ain’t happening.
When is the last time you wore a pair of Levi's jeans?

Back
Top Bottom