Anyone worried about our Run Defense, Fergusson | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Anyone worried about our Run Defense, Fergusson

Were were number 10 against the run last year...........ATL 25 against

After 4 preseason games, I can say that I'm not comfortable with our run defense.

The most disturbing thing that I also noticed is how Jason Ferguson is not palying like Jason Ferguson of 08 season. Maybe his age is catching up to him.

You guys may not like what I have to say, but we are way way more effective at stopping the run with Paul Solai, Langford, and T. McDaniel in our 3-4 defense. I would put Starks as a pass rusher on 3rd down with Merling but I think that Fergusson may have lost a step from last season..

I kind of agree with you, Solai if he continues to focus on getting better, and keeps his weight down, could be the NT we thought he could be when he was drafted.

On the other hand I don't expect Ferguson to go down quietly, the guy has heart, and if he is not retired, he expects to play at a high level, and will give it all he can. Don't get to nervous, I expect Miami to be good against the run no matter if it's Solai or Ferguson at NT.

Well, we also had Holliday last year, who started, and was better than both Starks and Merling.

I mean if 18-12th is average(C), 11-6 is good(B), and top 5 is great(A)... these guys should be around a 13 this year, with the downgrade(loss of Holliday), and Ferg getting older. So C, C+, B- ... something like that.

It's not a position stacked like our Linebackers, where Crowder is good(B+), Porter and Taylor are great(A).

You have taken into account the loss of Holiday and possible demise of Fergie (did not mention Roth), but you have failed to take into account, that Merling and Langford we rookie DE and should improve this year. Starks 1st yr as DE in 3-4 so should improve in 2nd yr. Solai has shown improvement and the addition of Mcdaniel who has looked very good on rushing downs as a DE in pre-season. With the addition of Wilson and S. Smith in secondary over last years equivalent of Hill and Goodman, I would say that we would at least be on par, if not improved on run defence this yr.

Im not worried about anything! bring them on! lol

I'd only be concerned if Fergie was injured, like in the first Baltimore game last year. I thought we played the run pretty well in preseason.

Reactions: SRM
I mean it is obvious that we need to address NT next season . . . Soliai is a bonus, if he works out . . . that would be fantastic, he definitely has the talent, but regardless . . . . we need more competition for that NT position other than Dotson, who is a bit undersized for the position and is a better fit at DE in the 3-4. Whether that is going after a guy like Wilfork or drafting a guy early, that and ILB are the 2 priorities going into the next draft.

Ferguson was a blessing last season, and has more than made up for that 6th round pick we gave up for him, but its true that he is getting older and we have to have security at that NT position, more than any other on this defense.

As far as the run D, Matt Roth was critical in making us a top 10 run defense, and trust me, his presence will be missed . . . hopefully the increased pass rush will make up for his loss.

This would be the time for Soliai to make a name for himself and step up. Agreed we are one short at NT. The folks who can make any type of impact aren't available so we have to make do with what we got. I will be watching our DL very closely on Sunday.

Fergie was getting pushed back alot in the preseason. I hope Solail comes through this year and/or we get an NT in the draft next year.

I'm not so worry about our line, as I am our ILB's. Ayodele has looked better, but it is Crowder who has been absolutely missing in the run game. He had one good stop that I remember behind the line, but for the big runs he was nowhere to be found.

Back
Top Bottom