AP: Dolphins talking playoffs | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

AP: Dolphins talking playoffs

gafin

Practice Squad
Reaction score
DAVIE, Fla. (AP) — Loosening up for their first training camp practice, the Miami Dolphins high-stepped sideways up and down the field while House of Pain's song "Jump Around" blared on the loudspeakers.

Pro Bowl cornerback Brent Grimes took in the scene and allowed himself a long yawn.

With the first game more than six weeks away, the Dolphins tempered their excitement Friday regarding the 2014 season. Even so, every team is undefeated and optimistic in July, and the Dolphins were no different as they opened camp.

"We want to play deep into January and February," quarterback Ryan Tannehill said. "Our goal is to win the division and play in the playoffs. Anything less than that is not up to our standards."

"We want to win. That's what we're all here for," new general manager Dennis Hickey said. "We're really excited about this team and what they're going to be able to accomplish."

"I don't think I start any season without wanting to make the playoffs," Ross said. "If you don't have those expectations, you shouldn't be in the game. You own a team because you want to create a winner."

On a 90-degree day, Philbin was already on the hot seat, and Ross was asked if the coach must make the playoffs to keep his job.

"I'm not going to say here he has to, because I can understand what the headlines would be," Ross said. "I like Joe Philbin very much. I'm expecting Joe Philbin to be here a long time. But every year you want to see improvement."

Mr. Ross not saying Joe has to make playoffs to keep job (but still sounds that way), expects improvement.

http://pro32.ap.org/article/dolphins-talking-playoffs-training-camp-begins

What else would they be saying? They should be saying this and so should the other 31 teams.

What else would they be saying? They should be saying this and so should the other 31 teams.

Hell whats next Pouncey predicting anthother 1300 yard season for Miller or Wallace predicting he will shatter the NFL td record

Can you imagine the outcry if the players were saying, "Well, I think the team is not very good and we will be lucky to win 4 games."

Can you imagine the outcry if the players were saying, "Well, I think the team is not very good and we will be lucky to win 4 games."

Im sure every player want to make playoffs and thinks their team will be good this time of year. Im sure Brian Hoyer want to play in January also

Need to walk before we run. I think playoff talk for this team is the last topic that should come up. They need to improve as a team throughout the season and if they can do it for 16 games then we could discuss playoffs.

Not sure why players and coaches even talk to the media, fans always just seem to roll their eyes with the "Of course that is what they would say" line. Then again if they didn't talk, people would be upset that the team isn't transparent enough. It is one thing to say "Don't talk, just prove it" but you also need to understand that they are required to talk, so don't get upset if they say the company line stuff.

Not sure why players and coaches even talk to the media, fans always just seem to roll their eyes with the "Of course that is what they would say" line. Then again if they didn't talk, people would be upset that the team isn't transparent enough. It is one thing to say "Don't talk, just prove it" but you also need to understand that they are required to talk, so don't get upset if they say the company line stuff.

I think it was Marshawn Lynch who was fined a hefty price for not speaking to the media at all the entire 2013 season.

Dolphins talking playoffs on opening day of training camp

"We want to play deep into January and February," Tannehill said. "That's our goal at this point, is to go out, win the division and play in the playoffs.

"It's a big season ahead of us and I think anything less than that is not up to our standards."
Optimism is high among the Dolphins, who finished 8-8 last season and spent much of the season embroiled in controversy. And there was reason to be optimistic. Tannehill hit wide receiver Mike Wallace on a beautifully-thrown deep pass Friday. The deep ball, of course, was a source of frustration last season.

"That's our only expectations, to make it to the playoffs," Pouncey said. "We fell short last year and I know that's in the back of a lot of these guys' heads."
Dolphins third-year coach Joe Philbin, never one to make a brash statement, stopped just short of echoing Tannehill and Pouncey.
"If you look the history since we've been here we were 7-9, we were 8-8," Philbin said. "It's time for us to take another step forward as a football team."

Dolphins owner Steve Ross has seen his team utilize the third and eighth overall picks in the draft in the last three years as well as sign the top two free agents on the market -- wide receiver Mike Wallace and left tackle Branden Albert. So, Ross also has playoff hopes.
"I think if you don't have those expectations you shouldn't be in the game," he said.

Despite Friday's bumpy offensive debut, they're excited about the future.
"It's a work in progress, it's practice number one," Philbin said of the new offense. "As you could see there is a lot of work to be done, but I thought it was a good start to training camp."
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...phins-0726-20140725,0,4158626.story?track=rss

Can I get an amen?

Back
Top Bottom