AP: Tannehill confident he'll hit Wallace | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

AP: Tannehill confident he'll hit Wallace

gafin

Practice Squad
Reaction score
On long passes more often this year.

DAVIE, Fla. (AP) — When it comes to taking advantage of Mike Wallace's speed, the Miami Dolphins need to make strides.

Little progress has been evident in training camp, but quarterback Ryan Tannehill is confident he'll hit Wallace on long passes more often this year.

"We built up that connection more in the offseason, and now I feel really good about it," Tannehill said Monday. "Mike and I are more on the same page now than we ever have been in the past, not only on deep balls but in the overall game of football. No matter what the route or the play is, we're able to talk with each other and be open."
Wallace ranks among the fastest players in the NFL, but he was often only a decoy last season, his first with the Dolphins. They targeted him on 34 passes thrown more than 20 yards, and only six were completed — 18 percent.

"It's all a matter of stretching the field," Tannehill said. "When you're able to stretch the field and make them account for the QB running as well, it puts a lot of pressure on the defense."

http://pro32.ap.org/article/miamis-tannehill-wallace-hope-click-year

Don't worry Tannehill the biggest issue with throwing to Wallace is accounting for the massive head he somehow has. I mean in his mind no other receiver in NFL is as good as him unfortunately reality doesn't comply. So just account for the head and u will be ok

He's gotta hit him. Honestly, this is not even about Mike Wallace catching 15 TDs and 1500 yards receiving . . . you have to hit him because the most dangerous part of your team is in the middle of the field. You need to hit Wallace to force teams to fear that connection and then let Gibson, Matthews, Landry, Clay and the running backs do the work in the middle.

Wallace needs to be better as well, but Tannehill just didn't seem confident throwing to him last season and I want to see that do a 180 in 2014.

He's gotta hit him. Honestly, this is not even about Mike Wallace catching 15 TDs and 1500 yards receiving . . . you have to hit him because the most dangerous part of your team is in the middle of the field. You need to hit Wallace to force teams to fear that connection and then let Gibson, Matthews, Landry, Clay and the running backs do the work in the middle.

Wallace needs to be better as well, but Tannehill just didn't seem confident throwing to him last season and I want to see that do a 180 in 2014.

I agree he needs to hit him, but im of the opinion that just having that speed as a threat on the field opens things up regardless of how many times they have connected. its going to be even better with clay established as a threat and landry coming on board.

Paying Mike Wallace 17 million to be very average (priceless)

Landry, hartline and Gibson need to show Wallace how to go after a football and not catch it with his body.. Wallace is a one hit wonder..

I wonder if wallace is playing the same route tree as desean did.

It certainly gave desean a huge boost. I think Wallace will be fine.

And if he's not, we have other guys to throw to, and Wallace can enjoy being a decoy.

What a terrible article. Wow.

This is such a non issue. There are a thousand other things that need to go right with the offense other than "hitting wallace with the deep ball." Stop watching so much ESPN.

If the offensive line plays better and the offense gets more out of the run game this offense will be JUST fine. You'll find that those big plays happen when the entire offense is humming and doing their jobs.

"...we're able to talk with each other and be open."
That's huge if true. I remember them missing and going off the field and sitting separately without a word between them. Never saw them get together once to talk things over. Even an argument would have been better than what they did last year.

Landry, hartline and Gibson need to show Wallace how to go after a football and not catch it with his body.. Wallace is a one hit wonder..

A one hit wonder who has had great production every year of his young career until coming here? Don't think so. He is by far the best playmaker we have on offense, and the first guy opposing defenses bring up during game prep.

The Tanne/Wallace connection needs to improve, and I mean on both ends.

A one hit wonder who has had great production every year of his young career until coming here? Don't think so. He is by far the best playmaker we have on offense, and the first guy opposing defenses bring up during game prep.

The Tanne/Wallace connection needs to improve, and I mean on both ends.

Production was far from great in 2012

Production was far from great in 2012

The potential for great production exists, either way.

A previous poster mentioned that there were far more important issues facing the offense and I tend to agree. While Tannehill hitting Wallace deep benifets the offense in many ways, I'm more concerned with pass protection, zone blocking, rb production, Hartlines health, and mastery of the new offense as a whole - to name a few things.

While I agree that RT has got to improve his deep ball accuracy....I need a better option as my #1 WR who fights for the ball when its in the air. Wallace watches to many passes for my liking. I do appreciate his rare speed and ability to gain separation though. Got to see better throws and catch radius from the tandem.

Back
Top Bottom