Are Davis and Smith Future Dolphins Starters? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are Davis and Smith Future Dolphins Starters?

Pandarilla

Active Roster
Reaction score
http://www.phinsnews.com/miami-dolphins-news-are-davis-and-smith-future-dolphins-starters/

Little known additions of Davis and Smith are gaining traction and attention

Most Miami Dolphins fans will barely, if at all, recognize the names Jesse Davis and Eric Smith. It’s quite the opposite with the Dolphins staff… and growing number of sportswriters.

First, so you know right off the bat that I’m not bloviating, even Armando Salguero said that Smith might end up taking Ja’Waun James spot by mid season if his health issue doesn’t change. And Omar Kelly highlighted Davis’ pull block against the 1st string Ravens defense that led to chunk yards.

You might say what do sportswriters know, anyway?

Then I’ll counter by saying do you realize the huge amount of snaps both players have received?

To me this biggest tell.

Davis played Left Guard from kickoff until the early third quarter, and then played Left Tackle from the 3rd into the 4th. That’s the entire game! Given the value of live reps this wasn’t done without long-term goals in mind.

Smith came in at the end of the 1st Qtr at Right Tackle and played there till the end of the game. Again, an extended appearance like this has purpose. Of Course, Week 3 will be a far more complete indicator.

This is promising...Good Article, complete with videos and still shots

although i agree that we might have something in Eric Smith, Jesse Davis was awful against Baltimore, he gave up a sack, 2 hurries another hit and was pretty bad in the running game

I thought something was up seeing how Jesse Davis was getting so many reps in the 1st 2 pre season games. He's virtually played every snap. Something is up there? They may see something in him, many of us fans don't. Smith on the other hand, quite possibly could be, Miami's starting RT, IF Juwan James' health doesn't improve. Smith looks to be a long term answer along the O-line, whether it be as a starter or multi positional back up?

Lol so the title thread had me thinking of Vontae Davis and Sean Smith. Thought this was an old thread that got bumped.
That was my exact first thought lol.

Good to see some young guys gaining some traction we need some people step up

I haven't been a fan of Jesse Davis in the past, and against the Ravens he had a horrible day. But, in the first pre-season game against the Falcons, Davis actually made a lot of good plays. I'd want to see more of him, but this has been by far his best pre-season that I can recall.

Eric Smith has shown enough to make this roster, IMHO. I do not think he is a starter, but he showed enough to make the team, and that should give him the time to continue his development.

Let them make the roster first.

Things like this will end up being the difference for Miami. Let's have a few unheralded players make the team and contribute instead of 2nd and 3rd round draft picks being busts.

Jesse Davis is 25, turns 26 next month. He has spent the past 2 years just trying to make an NFL team roster. He got a shot at the Jets last year but was cut. Occasionally an older player builds up his strength after college to the point where he can compete better and then succeeds, but this is pretty rare. It is interesting that the Dolphins are giving Davis such a lot of playing time in the preseason games. He's made some mistakes but must have impressed someone within the organization.
In comparison Eric Smith is just 21 and is straight out of University of Virginia. He has impressed seasoned Dolphins watchers from the get go. High probability that he makes the roster and pushes for playing time.

Davis had a few bad plays in pass protection in the Ravens game.

Its not OK so I am not justifying it.

But he was getting to the 2nd level and pulling like an animal on run plays.

He's big and athletic.

The coaches are serious about him as he is a serious, relatively young prospect.

I thought something was up seeing how Jesse Davis was getting so many reps in the 1st 2 pre season games. He's virtually played every snap. Something is up there? They may see something in him, many of us fans don't. Smith on the other hand, quite possibly could be, Miami's starting RT, IF Juwan James' health doesn't improve. Smith looks to be a long term answer along the O-line, whether it be as a starter or multi positional back up?

Jesse Davis moves very well in space. He looked bad later in the game, but on the first two drives, with the ones, he had some really good blocks. I'd bet he ends up on the practice squad, but he seems to have some potential to develop.

Back
Top Bottom