Are Davis and Smith Future Dolphins Starters? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are Davis and Smith Future Dolphins Starters?

Maybe Davis has right tackle future starter in him smith looks NFL fringe career

Surprise, surprise ... Adam Gase say's, "Jesse Davis has a Legitimate Shot at STARTING the Opener" !!!! I guess they like him. As someone on Finheaven stated, it's the practice reps a player gets; that is an indicator of were he fits in. And apparently he's doing a lot of rep work in practice and pre season games. But unfortunately Davis may be the candidate to replace Urbik due to injury.

Last edited:
Eric Smith is a lock IMO and I think he has already earned it. I know we all don't like PFF but didn't Jesse Davis just have a terrible rating

OG JESSE DAVIS, 29.7 OVERALL GRADE
With little to be excited about on offense, the biggest struggles are naturally going to be highlighted. Backup guard Jesse Davis may have had the roughest night on the Dolphins’ roster, as he gave up a sack, a hit and two QB hurries, and also struggled to sustain blocks in the run game as well.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-refocused-baltimore-ravens-31-miami-dolphins-7/

You need to break out Davis' work between LG and LT. Both games he played LG with the starters in the first half and then some work at LT in the second half. Looked serviceable at LG at first pass. Got push in run game and wasn't walked back in pass pro. Missed some assignments in Baltimore game but physically like him better than Brendel or Steen. At LT he's a horror show.

If the guard play is a disaster early, Tunsil could always move back to LG with Young or Smith at LT. Not ideal, but might get the best linemen on the field together.

Eric Smith is a lock IMO and I think he has already earned it. I know we all don't like PFF but didn't Jesse Davis just have a terrible rating

OG JESSE DAVIS, 29.7 OVERALL GRADE
With little to be excited about on offense, the biggest struggles are naturally going to be highlighted. Backup guard Jesse Davis may have had the roughest night on the Dolphins’ roster, as he gave up a sack, a hit and two QB hurries, and also struggled to sustain blocks in the run game as well.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-refocused-baltimore-ravens-31-miami-dolphins-7/

Hopefully, they didn't count any of his time at tackle, which the article admits was awful...Another thing to note is Baltimore's defense is not only strong up front, but they're blitzing more than any team in the league in preseason under the philosophy of practice what you're going to do in the regular season. They're going full tilt in preseason. We'll see how that pans out for them during the regular season.

I must have gotten these mixed up. I was talking about the Uva kid and the safety.

We better have something better than Jesse Davis in house for left guard
I was bout to say. Smith is legit

If the guard play is a disaster early, Tunsil could always move back to LG with Young or Smith at LT. Not ideal, but might get the best linemen on the field together.

I could possibly see the move of Young back out to LT in an emergency but I really don't think they want to move Tunsil again. I t could get ugly- hopefully Urbick is back sooner rather than later and James still seems to have that shoulder problem.

Reading through this thread made me go back for another look - specifically on Davis.

Below are some notes, from what I saw of him at LG only in the first half.

• Big body and good reach at 6'6" 321lbs, reasonable movement but wouldn't call him athletic in the sense that Dolphin guards have been in previous years - but this speaks to the requested new approach by OL Coach Forrester. Bigger, Stouter.
  • Would like to see better hand movement, i.e. more violence with his punch and also location of his hands inside - they slip outside the DL frame easily and often.
  • Not sure what techniques he was coached on previously but i've seen the very old school flipper technique a few times - not something I'm a fan of.
  • absolutely needs to work on his power step - he was beaten easily a number of times on inside moves
  • When engaged and had a strong base - stays on his man and also does a good job in keeping his feet moving.
  • Does a good job staying square to the LOS but as mentioned has a weakness to his inside
  • Didn't see him give up too much ground on bull rushes
  • When uncovered - shows quick feet to get to his assignment, but plays very tall when on the move
  • Does a little too much 'Jesus on the cross' [excuse the old coaching analogy] without having much impact - could keep his head on a swivel a bit more and see more aggression when he has to go one way or another - missed a few stunts/twists/dogs - particularly when backers are involved.
  • And see more aggressiveness/nastiness in general - which, in my view, is not necessarily a good thing to say about an OLman.
  • Should be ok on inside zone, but I suspect most good starting DT's will scrap off him easily on outside/stretch plays
  • Needs to make quicker decisions when uncovered as to who to help as he was late to the assist/combo a few times.
  • He had a couple of blatant whiffs, 1 on lost yardage, 1 on the TD run.
  • Not sure if he's get the same look against Philly, but I'd be curious to see him against the 40 Front and be covered more often.
  • Will also be interesting to see the partnership of him and Pouncey, considering the significant difference in athletic ability - particularly in the zone run game

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom