Are Dolphins set at receiver? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are Dolphins set at receiver?

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
The first-round pick was obvious. Everyone knew the Miami Dolphins loved former Texas A&M quarterback Ryan Tannehill with the No. 8 overall pick, which went according to form.

But after that, I was curious when Miami was going to take a wide receiver in the draft. It didn’t happen in the second round. It didn’t happen in the third, fourth or fifth rounds.

Miami finally drafted a pair of receivers in the sixth and seventh rounds. The Dolphins selected B.J. Cunningham of Michigan State and Rishard Matthews of Nevada.

[h=4]Dolphins receivers[/h] How Miami's current roster of receivers did in 2011.
PlayerRec.Yds.
Brian Hartline35549
Davone Bess51537
*Legedu Naanee44467
Clyde Gates219
Roberto Wallace00
B.J. Cunninghamrookieno stats
Rishard Matthewsrookieno stats
*Free-agent acquisition

"I think we drafted a couple good players that we think could ascend," Dolphins general manager Jeff Ireland said. "But we weren’t going to reach. That’s not my philosophy."

Does Miami have enough to be effective at wide receiver next season? Here is a look at the players currently on the roster.
http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/41640/are-dolphins-set-at-wr

Hell no! The draft was a complete fail at WR. Ireland threw a couple of late picks in who will have no impact for a few years...if ever. I doubt the guy from Nevada even makes the team...and I'm a UNR grad, so I'm pulling for him.

Even the TE we picked up is questionable. He had a bad year last year and his numbers are really down.

---------- Post added at 01:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:20 PM ----------

I see this year's WR's being: Hartline, Gates, Bess, Wallace, Cunningham, and Matthews.

I'm not convinced with Gates. He may have speed...but from what I have seen, that's all he has.

yes they are set to be those worse set of recievers in the league if thats the question your asking.

There's still legit free agents out there. I'd like to see Miami at least give tryouts to some of these guys. What's OchoCinco doing now? How about seeing if TO has got something left in the tank. If that knee is right he could definitely contribute. Didn't Mooch run a WCO?

i think there is going to be some good competition in camp. i think our guys will surprise

miami would look at Mike Simms Walker and Jacoby Jones before TO and chad johnson. I think they go to camp as is and wait for the final cuts.

It certainly isn't pretty . . . but I think by adding Egnew and Lamar Miller, along with Fasano, Clay, Reggie and DT . . . we have pass catchers at OTHER positions than WR. And let's face it, we have some "Green Bay like" WR's in Hartline and Bess. The key will have to be Gates making strides as that deep threat we need him to be . . . and it wouldn't hurt if one of the rookies are Wallace or Moore step up also.

I honestly think we'll be fine. With Marshall last year every other pass was going his way, sometimes to the detriment to the offense so lets see what happens with these unproven guys. Will we scare opposing offenses? Most certainly not but that's why they play the games, we'll see if anyone steps up. Any big time receivers in FA or the draft next year?

Dont think we are set at Wr yet we have to develop these guys potentials to early to tell, I would like to have a #1 threat to least keep every defense honest. Our running backs will do great we have good talent there Our Wrs will improve but still we need a threat out there

Hell no! The draft was a complete fail at WR. Ireland threw a couple of late picks in who will have no impact for a few years...if ever. I doubt the guy from Nevada even makes the team...and I'm a UNR grad, so I'm pulling for him.

Even the TE we picked up is questionable. He had a bad year last year and his numbers are really down.

---------- Post added at 01:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:20 PM ----------

I'm not convinced with Gates. He may have speed...but from what I have seen, that's all he has.
His numbers were down b/c Gabbert got drafted. I don't see that as the TEs fault.

Hopefully, this system will mask the lack of big name draft picks or free agents we didn't get. If we can create mismatches and get our guys open all we need is first downs.

Back
Top Bottom