Are Dolphins Set-Up to be a Pass Heavy Offense? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are Dolphins Set-Up to be a Pass Heavy Offense?

Our OL is quite misleading IMHO. On paper we have a lot of excellent players. Albert is an excellent LT ... but he gets injured every year, so while he gives us great play, he doesn't give us 16 games, and when he's been out we've truly suffered. Pouncey does some things exceptionally well, such as pull, but he doesn't have much strength at the point of attack, and cannot handle strong NT/DT types without requiring guard help. Also, Pouncey doesn't open run lanes along the interior ... he's best when he can pull and hit much smaller less leveraged LB's in space. So, while those two look great on paper ... they each have significant flaws.

Ju'Wuan James is a bit of an oddity. The guy is not strong at all. He does OK as a pass protector at RT, but he doesn't seal the edge in the run game and he isn't a good run blocker. In pass protection, he has been hit and miss. Generally decent when healthy and playing RT though. Then we have the new guy, Laremy Tunsil. He has phenomenal tools in pass protection and some power as well. I'd say he can be a great LT and if he is played at LG his first year, he'll be a very good LG as well. His pass protection will be a revelation at LG ... light years ahead of Disaster Dallas Thomas. And while the run game isn't his strong suit and he's a few inches too tall for an ideal guard, Tunsil has enough strength and heavy hands to open some run lanes as well. Instantly our best guard. He is good at opening holes at the point of attack and even better at pulling and hitting in space. His presence should break the streak of Tannehill being the most sacked. When Albert inevitably gets injured, Tunsil slides into LT permanently.

Soooooooooooooooooo, that leaves our RG wide open and our LG open after Albert gets injured. Which will either mean our backup Kraig Urbik starts, or we start the same two horrible OG's we started last year, Disaster Dallas Thomas and Raw Billy Turner. So, while we have four very well paid former 1st round picks and another two 3rd rounders in the top 6 OL ... we still look to have an OL that allows a ton of sacks and cannot open run lanes up the middle. We do well as a pulling team ... but we don't do so great at the point of attack.

Dallas invested about as much as we have into their OL ... and they have the best OL in the league. It would be awesome if we had their OL.

It's almost shocking how many resources and high picks have gone to the offensive line. I finally feel like it could be a good unit with the addition of Tunsil and if the starters stay healthy, but the team still may need two starting caliber guards next year. I thought Miami would take some late round guards, but I do like the talent they found late in the draft so I won't complain. That said, the offensive line is still a work in progress.

Good point on the line Dallas has built. I prefer power players and that's what the Cowboys have done.

I know every offensive coordinator talks about balance and I believe that is what Adam Gase would like to see as well.

It could materialize that way, but with how the offseason has gone Miami looks like a team built to pass the ball. The offensive line, for the most part, has players who are better pass blockers than run blockers. Alberts, James and Pouncey generally fit that mold. As does Tunsil.

The Dolphins surprised by drafting a wide receiver in the third round in Carroo and brought in a running back in Drake who is best in space. Grant and Doughty are potential mismatch players in the passing game as well. The wide receiver position, on paper, looks staked.

Jay Ajayi and a better scheme for the offensive lineman could pay dividends in the running game, but that remains to be seen.

Doughty is a mismatch player? Lol I need this explained

Well, as I look at the talent on the Offense, and look through the old check list of what we will need.

Do we have...

1. Coaching that is willing to stick w/ the pass, and not play it safe when thing get bad?

Gase and Christensen have both shown to be good OC, and helped thier QB succeed...Check

2. A tough, smart QB that can make most to all passes, who is willing to stick it out as the play develops?
Tannehill has proven he can make pass, and proven to be a tough SOB....Check

3. Quality play-makers (Receivers, TEs, and RBs) that can get open and make the catch in tough situations?
[B]Jarvis Landry[/B] set a new catching record last year, and rarely drops balls.

Devante Parker took time to get on the field because of injury and coaches allowing him to get on the field, but once he did, he led the league in the highest yards per catch stat dept, and he rarely drops a pass.

Kenny Stills was unable to have the same type of year in 2015, that he had in NO in 2014, thanks to injury and learning a new offense, but was still one of Miami's best and most reliable deep threats, and although he was not as reliable catching pass 2015, as he was in 2014 when he lead the league with least drops, he was still very good, and far better then Miami former deep threat.

Leonte Carroo playing with a very average at best QB, was one of the most dependable receivers in College, while making plays, and very rarely dropping a pass.

Jordan Cameron did not make as many plays in 2015 as he did in Cleveland the prior year, but he is still one of the more athletic TEs in the NFL with the right coaches, can become a nightmare mismatch when put in the right situation.

Dion Simms continues to prove he might not be flashy, or an overpowering talent, but when you need that big catch to continue a drive, or to score, there he is.

Thomas Duarte might not even play a single game this year, as he goes to the practice squad, but if he proves ready right away. and does end up on the roster, this was a very athletic TE in College, who could be a steal for Miami.

Jay Ajayi's is not as good catching passes out of the backfield as he is running with the ball. but if called upon, he can get the job done.

Damien Williams is a good receiver, even though he will at times drop a pass here and there, or worse make the catch only to fumble it.

Kenyan Drake is the X factor, we do not know how good a RB he could be, can he be effective running with the ball, but what we do know is, this is a very good receiver in a RB body, and the reason he will be overtake Williams right away, and be there on 3rd plays more then any of the other RBs.

Daniel Thomas is a good receiver out of the backfield, but I doubt very much he last camp long enough to prove himself again, then again, I add his name, because you never know

Talent wise, Miami is loaded with play makers in the passing game...Check

4. An O-line that can finally allow Tannehill to go through his progressions.
Brandon Albert...Laremy Tunsil...Miake Pouncey...Billy Turner (?)...Ja'wuan James

Depending who the Right guard will be, and how healthy they are, this could be one of the best pass-blocking lines Miami has had in a very long time...Check

I absolutely think Miami is set up to be a very pass-heavy offense, it will probably be around 65/35 or 70/30 Passing over running.

Last edited by a moderator:
Power, isn't that why Gase has put so much emphasis on the weight room this off season? Stating that our players needed to get stronger. Obviously he saw in the film the same thing we saw on the field. We've been making fun of this weight thing, but I think he's dead serious, he wants a stronger team and that starts with getting bigger and stronger in the weight room. So it isn't as funny as we make it out to be. He wants his OL to be able to move people and Trunsil pick shows that. When they couldn't get any more like him in the draft they went BPA at other positions. We also brought in Broshure, Young, Urbik, so I don't think we die this year if Albert goes down. With Young aboard, we may be able to absorb James going down too. My key this year is Douglas ability to improve from year one. He started a number of games at both guard and not so good at center, but played good against the Patsies. So he improved during the year. Now that he's getting stronger (lol) and a year under his belt, I expect him to complete with Turner. One or the other along with Urbik gives us our best depth at guard, along with Broushore and Young at tackle. Bottomline, I expect the OL to be better this year, even if injuries occur.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of negative assumptions here. I don't see this line as sub-par in run blocking. We ran the ball pretty well last year but poor coaching had us abandoning the run all too often. We definitely don't need to replace Pouncey, James and Albert just yet. Pouncey is still only 26 years old so he will be here for awhile. For the last couple of years he has had to overcompensate for lackluster guard play. That won't be the case this year. They already have a plan to replace Albert (Tunsil) and James still has some things to prove. He is still pretty decent and has some upside. He's is still young and has only started 23 games total with only about 15 games at his natural position of RT.

Our skill positions sure seems to favor the passing game at the moment but at the same time, Gase likes to run the ball and won't make the offense one sided. I fully expect him to use the SHORT passing game as an extension of the running game, get play makers in space and create mismatches that favor the Dolphins. That could be dump offs to the RB, RB screens, etc. Tannehill is very effective in the short and mid ranges so this isn't an issue. He doesn't have to be an elite QB (although he may turn out that way by years end).

That being said, Gase is not going to abandon the running game the way Philbin did in the past. The off season isn't over and we could still add another RB.

I would also disagree that we are still struggling to fix the line. This year the first 2 guys off the bench are better than last year's starters at guard or backup tackle. This group is way more versatile. We have 7 quality linemen, three of which are former Pro Bowl LT's or have PB caliber talent and they can also play guard. The biggest issue from here to the start of the season will be getting a backup center trained.

I think it will be game by game situation. Gase has talked how he loves to game plan and outsmart the opponent. Gase won't be like a Campbell type who says we are going to run the ball up their throats but when it's not working he sticks with it anyways. I think this year the offense will rely on the pass more often because of the (lack of) defense and the stable of running backs isn't looking good. The goal will be to get the lead and pound away but I just don't see that happening this season.

Let the dolphins to what they need to do to win games, running at least 25 times don't mean wins, because the identity will be what wins games.

It will largely depend on the RB's. I agree with - what seems like - the consensus: it's likely Miami adds another RB. The running game in Chicago last season was more of a stabilizing force than a dynamic aspect of the offense. They ran the ball 29.2 times per game - but just for 4 YPC. The longest run on the season was 27 yards, and they only had six runs of 20+ yards. Of teams that ran the ball as much, only the Bengals had fewer runs of 20+ yards (five). Miami - by comparison - had twelve.

In Miami, I expect something between Denver and Chicago in terms of approach. Chicago was hurting at WR in 2015, and while I think Gase understands the importance of running the ball, Miami will have to be more efficient in the ground game for him to run it 29 times per game. Miami was dead last in rushing attempts per game in 2015, so we'll definitely run the ball more, but - so far - the resources are going to the passing game (including Drake).

It seems to me that Miami will be passing to set up the run.

In terms of scheme/philosophy, A hybrid of the Niners under Walsh & Skins during Joe Gibbs' 1st tenure.

Well, as I look at the talent on the Offense, and look through the old check list of what we will need.

Do we have...

1. Coaching that is willing to stick w/ the pass, and not play it safe when thing get bad?

Gase and Christensen have both shown to be good OC, and helped thier QB succeed...Check

2. A tough, smart QB that can make most to all passes, who is willing to stick it out as the play develops?
Tannehill has proven he can make pass, and proven to be a tough SOB....Check

3. Quality play-makers (Receivers, TEs, and RBs) that can get open and make the catch in tough situations?
[B]Jarvis Landry[/B] set a new catching record last year, and rarely drops balls.

Devante Parker took time to get on the field because of injury and coaches allowing him to get on the field, but once he did, he led the league in the highest yards per catch stat dept, and he rarely drops a pass.

Kenny Stills was unable to have the same type of year in 2015, that he had in NO in 2014, thanks to injury and learning a new offense, but was still one of Miami's best and most reliable deep threats, and although he was not as reliable catching pass 2015, as he was in 2014 when he lead the league with least drops, he was still very good, and far better then Miami former deep threat.

Leonte Carroo playing with a very average at best QB, was one of the most dependable receivers in College, while making plays, and very rarely dropping a pass.

Jordan Cameron did not make as many plays in 2015 as he did in Cleveland the prior year, but he is still one of the more athletic TEs in the NFL with the right coaches, can become a nightmare mismatch when put in the right situation.

Dion Simms continues to prove he might not be flashy, or an overpowering talent, but when you need that big catch to continue a drive, or to score, there he is.

Thomas Duarte might not even play a single game this year, as he goes to the practice squad, but if he proves ready right away. and does end up on the roster, this was a very athletic TE in College, who could be a steal for Miami.

Jay Ajayi's is not as good catching passes out of the backfield as he is running with the ball. but if called upon, he can get the job done.

Damien Williams is a good receiver, even though he will at times drop a pass here and there, or worse make the catch only to fumble it.

Kenyan Drake is the X factor, we do not know how good a RB he could be, can he be effective running with the ball, but what we do know is, this is a very good receiver in a RB body, and the reason he will be overtake Williams right away, and be there on 3rd plays more then any of the other RBs.

Daniel Thomas is a good receiver out of the backfield, but I doubt very much he last camp long enough to prove himself again, then again, I add his name, because you never know

Talent wise, Miami is loaded with play makers in the passing game...Check

4. An O-line that can finally allow Tannehill to go through his progressions.
Brandon Albert...Laremy Tunsil...Miake Pouncey...Billy Turner (?)...Ja'wuan James

Depending who the Right guard will be, and how healthy they are, this could be one of the best pass-blocking lines Miami has had in a very long time...Check

I absolutely think Miami is set up to be a very pass-heavy offense, it will probably be around 65/35 or 70/30 Passing over running.

So many excuses and "turnarounds" in this post, thought. Best case scenario situations. You never plan on that, because it never happens that way. Also, you're not taking into account that players are dynamic - not stagnant - so a positive won't always be a position. A good player from last year, say Pouncey, might continue his downswing and be a bad center.

It seems to me that Miami will be passing to set up the run.

In terms of scheme/philosophy, A hybrid of the Niners under Walsh & Skins during Joe Gibbs' 1st tenure.

That's a good point. And if Gase is anywhere near Walsh or Gibbs in what he produces offensively there's not a Dolphin fan who would complain.

That's a good point. And if Gase is anywhere near Walsh or Gibbs in what he produces offensively there's not a Dolphin fan who would complain.

I enjoy when a team (coach) prepares a team by not only developing the starters, but the depth behind. This team got an injection this offseason with Tunsil and hopefully the health of their injured starters. However, as better as the line looks now, the likelihood of injuries will occur. I am hoping that coaching and scheme can develop the depth of the line. Point being, Gase's history has been successful with offenses, however, if the line has been anything close to what we have had the last few seasons, it will all go to crap

Too much conjecture and "what if's" at this point to make an educated assumption. I see it more as an evolving process where Gase implements his offense and the players adapt to it. I think that he is smart enough to observe what is working and what isn't and then he can adjust his play calling and game planning to take advantage of their strengths. At the same time, he will be able to work on the things that aren't working during the week and then introduce new alignments and plays to keep opponents honest in how they play against them.

The biggest change I want to see is the elimination or drastic reduction in the boneheaded, undisciplined penalties. How many times did we see a drive with at least a little bit of momentum (on both sides of the ball) get blown up by a stupid penalty?

I think you take what Gase said to the bank. The team will be fluid and change from week to week. It will attempt to exploit the other teams weakness.

We could run 40 times against Cleveland and pass 50 times against Pittsburgh.

Running the ball takes an OL with a mean streak. Guys that want to pound the defender across from them.

The Rams, Cowboys and Redskins have been drafting run blocking OL like that as well as the Titans who took Jack Conklin with the 8th pick. (SOURCES TELL US "That is a dude, right there. He was busting up Ohio State in the fourth quarter of that game not because he was more talented than those guys but because he just wanted it more. He's tougher than old beef jerky. He fits in our division." -- ­ NFC North scout)

These teams use big running backs and they pound you and then run play action passes. Play action passes work best when the QB starts under center. Trying it from the shotgun or spread option is a joke. Trying it when the defense does not have any respect for your running game (and do not believe you are going to run anyway) is simply sad.

Running the ball is a mind set and a attitude. Which is something we do not have. 3rd and one has been and will be a passing down for us.

You will never get anyone on record, but ask our defense if they wish we would run the ball more.

Back
Top Bottom