Are fans being more or less critical of how our defense played than Coyle's role? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are fans being more or less critical of how our defense played than Coyle's role?

Reason why I bring this up is constantly we hear the defensive coordinator as the one who is to blame for many of our losses. There were many times where our defensive players made many independent mistakes as well but we still see all the blame moved to Coyle because he is our defensive coordinator. I am not really opposed to change at the position, but I am more concerned with some of the current players that play defense in Miami.

Honestly I think the criticism has been pretty equal across the defensive side of the team. I believe most fans are savvy enough to differentiate the bodies of work.

Just as many of us wish Coyle to go away for his ineptness, we wish the same of several defensive players.

Not buying this. If you take a look at your examples, most of them are from the last 5-6 games, where our defense had a melt down.

KC and GB weren't in the last 5-6 games. I've presented you with a lot of common, recurring problems in our defense that Kevin Coyle could not handle. Other teams deal with injuries all of the time.

If you want to carry water for a defense that was absolutely horrid over the last 6 weeks of the season -- probably the worst in the NFL in points per game -- then be my guest. But nobody out there is buying what you're selling.

Also worth mentioning that the makeover ot eh LB Corps was the coaching staff's idea. We wanted guys who were better at A-Gap blitzing than Karlos Dansby and Kevin Burnett. We got them. Oops.

It seems to me that opposing teams figured out the package substitutions Coyle used and planned against it, taking advantage of what Coyle called and what the D players can handle in the packages. This is why, I believe, Odrick and the others were so mad, because they stuck to the package substitutions while the players knew they were taken advantage of. So the coaches were right, in a way, that the players needed to play well in those packages without seeing that it is the substitutions themselves which were used against them. Of course it doesn't help that there were so many injuries to key players but as others have said, it is just an excuse. Coyle was unable/unwilling to change mid season his strategic outlook from the beginning of the season- when everything was working so well.

Back
Top Bottom