• Yes

Votes: 10 58.8%
  • No

Votes: 7 41.2%

• Total voters

BahamaFinFan78

Active Roster
Reaction score
Sitting aside the general hatred for the Pats and love for the Fins, do you believe dynasties, such as the Packers in the 60's, 49ers in the 80's, etc... are good for the league as a whole?

From a financial standpoint, yes. Humans adhere to tribalism and sports fandom is as powerful of a phenomenon for tribalism as any. Having a consistently dominant team brings more people into the fold, creating more revenue for the league. It just sucks when you're a fan of a team other than that one.

But does the continued success of one team cause the decrease in fans of the other? Does the gain in one outweigh the loss of the others?

It's mind boggling how Belichick has maintained a dynasty with so many different players and coordinators and moving parts over 15 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dynasties are good for the NFL. It brings added interest because when a team has been good for a period of time, they gain more fans which increases interest. Also, which may be the case for NE, more people will tune to watch the dynasty lose. This is similar to the Floyd Mayweather phenomenon. I believe a lot less people would watch if the super bowl was Atl vs Pitt.

Good for the NFL, bad for fins fans. People are sheep and mindlessly root for the team who's winning. Then try and tell you they've been 'team x' fans their entire life, while knowing little to nothing about said team. It's weird.

I think the game would be more interesting if you had a better mix of teams competing for a championship every year. The NHL has this right as you get a wide range of teams in the Cup year to year. I prefer that to having seen the same three QBs in 15 of the last 16 SBs in the AFC. It's not as interesting to me.

A Dynasty is GREAT!! if it's the Dolphins.....anybody else?..that blows...

It is a little bit of pros and cons with being a dynasty.

Good for the NFL, bad for fins fans. People are sheep and mindlessly root for the team who's winning. Then try and tell you they've been 'team x' fans their entire life, while knowing little to nothing about said team. It's weird.

While there may be exceptions to what I'm about to say, the primary reasons bandwagons grow has less to do with fans switching allegiances to whatever team is on top and more to do with the younger generations (kids) choosing their favorite team for the first time. Some kids root for the home team or adopt their father's favorite team. Some go the free agent route and pick their own team. Kids will typically choose a favorite team from the list of teams who are good at the time. Simple things like team colors or logo's also factor in.

In the 70's, most kids chose the Steelers or Cowboys and those teams have been popular ever since. In the 2000's, the Patriots were that team and they've dominated the league in attracting the millennial generation. In eighty years or so when the Patriots dynasty finally ends, a new team will emerge and the process will repeat itself.

While there may be exceptions to what I'm about to say, the primary reasons bandwagons grow has less to do with fans switching allegiances to whatever team is on top and more to do with the younger generations (kids) choosing their favorite team for the first time. Some kids root for the home team or adopt their father's favorite team. Some go the free agent route and pick their own team. Kids will typically choose a favorite team from the list of teams who are good at the time. Simple things like team colors or logo's also factor in.

In the 70's, most kids chose the Steelers or Cowboys and those teams have been popular ever since. In the 2000's, the Patriots were that team and they've dominated the league in attracting the millennial generation. In eighty years or so when the Patriots dynasty finally ends, a new team will emerge and the process will repeat itself.

When Tommy and Bill are gone you'll go back to being a Cowboys fan...:lol:

I say absolutely yes. I'm not a big baseball fan, but having the Yankees to hate definitely added something to the 90s/2000s. For NBA fans, Jordan, Bird, Russell, Kobe, these are the names that make up the mythos of the league. The story of the NFL would never be as compelling without Bill Walsh, the Steel Curtain, "America's Team", or even Darth Hoodie.

All I care about is the Dolphins and so my answer is no. It's been impossible to win the division outside of a fluke '08 season for 15 years. I haven't enjoyed NE's success at all.

---------- Post added at 09:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 AM ----------

I say absolutely yes. I'm not a big baseball fan, but having the Yankees to hate definitely added something to the 90s/2000s. For NBA fans, Jordan, Bird, Russell, Kobe, these are the names that make up the mythos of the league. The story of the NFL would never be as compelling without Bill Walsh, the Steel Curtain, "America's Team", or even Darth Hoodie.

It'd be one thing if the dynasty in the NFL was in the NFC. Having them be in the same division as the Dolphins is an extreme kick to the nuts.

Well, I think it would be better for the league if the current dynasty hadn't been caught cheating multiple times.

Well, I think it would be better for the league if the current dynasty hadn't been caught cheating multiple times.

Yeah, once Brady was forced to use regulation inflated footballs, it really affected his play . . .

That whole farce was a witch hunt by Roger Gotohell.

Back
Top Bottom