Are the Dolphins backups that good? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are the Dolphins backups that good?

BAMAPHIN 22

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
It is the proverbial two-edged sword that the Dolphins now wield with the handful of players that sat out Sunday's victory over Tampa Bay and those players that took their place.

Obviously the Dolphins won the game, so the replacements were good enough to help Miami to victory. But because the Dolphins won the game, one has to wonder about the players who sat.

Here's the thing that is frying my brain right now: Were Miami's replacements that good? Or were the players being replaced not as good as we thought and thus easily substituted for?
Let's take it position by position:

At outside linebacker, Joey Porter was benched for reasons the Dolphins don't want to divulge. But in keeping those reasons and Porter under wraps, something very interesting became quite public. Porter can seemingly be easily replaced.

Either that, or the Dolphins have amazing depth at OLB.
Think about it. Porter has not had a full sack since September. He's been missing practice time. He was invisible in last week's game at New England. So he gets deactivated and, voila, Charlie Anderson and Cameron Wake not only pick up the slack, but play much better than Porter has recently.

Anderson had five tackles -- almost half as many as Porter has contributed the entire season -- and added a sack and two forced fumbles.

"I was able to get back there and I knew the guy was tough to take down, but he can't go anywhere without the ball," Anderson said. "A couple of guys were like, 'Hey go for the ball,' The second time I was able to do that."

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolp...lphins-backups-that-good-or-starters-bad.html

I'd rather just have a solid team rather than worry about who is better then who. They are all Dolphins to me

Who knows? If Joey is sitting on the bench and gets an opportunity in the 3rd quarter, he might come in and get a sack.
I have no doubt that the future is Cam Wake/Charlie Anderson at the position, but for all his obvious flaws, Joey has enormous pride. I'm sure he is embarassed by his lack of success this year.
All I'm saying is that if he is forced to sit on the bench, don't be surprised if he comes in with something to prove. This is the crossroads of his career.

Look what happened after Ted Ginn lost his starting WR spot. Burn a fire under they're butts. I think the more we limit JP the better he will do. Hes got to much pride to just give up.

I remember thinking to myself " well, it could be that Anderson is playing good because it's the lowly Bucs we are playing" but then the commentator says, "Charlie Anderson is going up against and beating the best O-lineman of the bucs" ...and then thought well, there goes that idea.

Back
Top Bottom