Are the Dolphins better suited to play a 3-4 or a 4-3 base defense? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are the Dolphins better suited to play a 3-4 or a 4-3 base defense?

Fin Fan in Cali

Fins Up!
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score

If the Dolphins were to run a 3-4 (odd front) base defense, recent free agent addition Shaq Lawson would also be included and would make a lot of sense as a standup outside linebacker, too. Including Lawson, Miami’s base linebacker group could feature Lawson, Van Noy, McMillan and Baker all on the field at the same time — with Lawson and Van Noy serving as the outside pass rush contributors.

Perhaps the most intriguing combination would feature a 4-3 under front for the Dolphins. Such a blend would feature four down linemen for the Dolphins and three linebackers — with the strong side outside linebacker (most likely Van Noy) playing on the line of scrimmage next to Shaq Lawson, would would be aligned with his hand in the dirt over the offensive tackle. This would allow Miami to emulate odd fronts but keep four down linemen in the game, easing the pressure on whoever is charged with playing the nose tackle, most likely Davon Godchaux.

Imo, the best defense would be for them to fix it up every game and every week. They now have players that can do different things to instead of having a set defense where the other team can prepare for it, it'd make sense to change it up all the times to keep teams guessing

I really think we will run both frequently. Which one that we run will depend on down and distance, game situation, and... who we are playing that week. Versatility has been something that Flores has preached.

We need a real NT for when we go 3-4, but I think the rest of the players are in place.

Imo, the best defense would be for them to fix it up every game and every week. They now have players that can do different things to instead of having a set defense where the other team can prepare for it, it'd make sense to change it up all the times to keep teams guessing
I agree brother and being able to mix it up and having the right depth in case injuries will be huge.

I really think we will run both frequently. Which one that we run will depend on down and distance, game situation, and... who we are playing that week. Versatility has been something that Flores has preached.

We need a real NT for when we go 3-4, but I think the rest of the players are in place.

Really wanted Shelton to be that guy. I'm sure they will find someone young, inexpensive and willing to work hard for a roster spot at the NT position.

Flores and Grier have designed the front seven to be either front.
I personally feel we need a true NT to be a true 3-4 hybrid. Wilkins or God cannot man a NT in a 3-4 defense imo.
I wouldn't say can't. More like it wouldn't benefit the team to put them in that position. :)

Yeah, we could use a Vince wolfork type.

This podcast does a breakdown of the Dolphins D.

He points out the one big missing piece is a true NT. Unfortunately from what I can see there isn’t one in this draft class but the candidates are Roy from Baylor, Jones from Ole Miss, both who can be had late. The issue with them are that they don’t provide the flexibility that Flo talks so much about. Davin Hamilton may be that guy but he has played in 4-3 defense.

I'm not sure that a NT provides flexibility... ever.

It's a one-dimensional kind of position, kind of a fulcrum for the defense. Drive back, or at least clog up the center so the faster players can finish the play. Its a thankless job, be fat... don't move.

sounds like my tomcat is a glove fit

It is going to change week to week not to mention changing during the games.

I have always wondered why more teams did not try to copy Belichick's basketball style game planning to your specific opponent.I think the main reason is it requires versatile, smart players that can play multiple positions and have the brains to change quickly.

I don't know what the slob in Detroit is doing but Flores clearly intends to employ that style of defensive game planning, with his own personal tweeks and changes.

Back
Top Bottom