Are the Dolphins Failing on Purpose? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are the Dolphins Failing on Purpose?

BAMAPHIN 22

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
From time to time I receive e-mail suggesting that the 2011 Miami Dolphins are failing on purpose in an effort to gain the top pick in the 2012 draft. These conspiracy theorists reason that subtle actions have been taken to set the team up to lose each and every week. Phins.com Chris Shashaty: These are wild takes that are admittedly funny to read. But I think losing on purpose in the NFL is a pretty far-fetched theory. Simply put, it would require a lot of people to be in on the conspiracy and to be quiet about it. At a minimum, owner Stephen Ross, GM Jeff Ireland, coach Tony Sparano, and coordinators Brian Daboll and Mike Nolan would have to be complicit. Ross would have to guarantee job security and/or a lot of money in exchange for their overall silence. And you’d have to find a way to keep the locker room intact, because if players had a whiff of such a plan, the revolt would be instantaneous.That being said, I do acknowledge the peculiarity of the low level of play relative to the apparent talent level, especially on defense. There’s no way that unit should be ranked 28th in total defense and 31st in passing, even with the injuries to DBs Vontae Davis and Chris Clemons. Arguably, they almost have to be trying to be that bad given the talent and the level of play from last year. Of course offense is a lot easier to screw up by inserting a bad player here and there (or a bunch of underachieving ones) and tweaking the playcalling. But again, it would take too many people to be in on the scheme for it to work, and leaks would invariably happen.http://shashaty.blogspot.com/2011/10/are-dolphins-failing-on-purpose.html

This season isn't a coordinated sucking effort. It's a result of a ridiculous offseason, with the Harbaugh crap, and the Henne shopping, an imcompetent head coach, and a mediocre roster that has 0 faith in their QB and coach.

I could never see Ireland talking to Ross about tanking the season to get Luck. If I was Ross and Ireland said that to me I would be wondering why this guy still works for me. Now.... if Ross said this to Ireland about the tank job.... well.... the $#!t pile known as the Miami Dolphins is a lot more smelly than we originally thought.

Funny thing is I had a conversation with my brother about this. He said this may be the first season where 4 teams finish 1-15 trying to get Andrew Luck and I said the problem is the other 3 teams are doing it on purpose while Miami is actually trying to win and will get there anyway.

We're not purposefully trying to lose. We're just a poorly run franchise and this is the result of a long series of bad personnel decisions. After last week though I do think the Colts are purposely throwing games. 24-7 lead against the Chiefs and you lose 28-24? You're QB doesn't throw a pick has a QB rating over 100 and you somehow still lose...that seems very fishy to me.

If such a thing exists the players on the field are not coordinated to just quit you know the fall flat effort - Ross however did not give Ireland full control to improve the team - this tells me he has plans that may not include Jeff and won't include Sparano, Daboll and Nolan

Well, we all know the Luck Phenomena is something to behold.

Pretty sure a team has NEVER gone 0-4 before he came along.

This is redonkulous.

This season isn't a coordinated sucking effort. It's a result of a ridiculous offseason, with the Harbaugh crap, and the Henne shopping, an imcompetent head coach, and a mediocre roster that has 0 faith in their QB and coach.

I can't understand why people are still harping about the Harbaugh issue. You don't think it doesn't happen to players? On Tuesday when players have the day off, teams try out free agents looking to replace guys on the roster. It's not nearly a big a deal in the football world as some would like to make it. doesn't any one remember when it occurred. It sure was an awfully slow news day. Just a load a BS that a bunch of people have swallowed like the best damn kool aid in the whole world.

No were bad because our defense is good, henne sucks because they tried to get orton so his confidence is shattered, and because Ross looked at another coaching option. Mike and Mike knew exactly how things would turn out and for the reasons they stated.

Truth I am kinda wondering what happened in that colts chiefs game also and I am gonna watch the tape to see if I see the colts doin some things that can be questioned personnel wise and play calling wise in the 2nd half that might show them going less than all out

Hoops good on ya but that is still coaching the players themselves want to win - losers lose their jobs when teams churn the rosters why would players execute themselves off the field? No Columbo jokes please he was brought in to bring down Sparano although I am not a conspirist - Hank Williams did have a point though LOL

I am just sitting here rubbing the palms of my hands together in outright zeal. We are, among a few other teams (so far), submitting our participation in Andrew Luck Sweepstakes and that my friends is a contest we do well, by our own field play or by design, to win. And if Gruden gives our Dolphins a nod, well then this season will become (not on paper) a winning season indeed.

We just suck, we are terrible in the trenches. Everyone is raving bout Ryan Fitzpatrick, but how many people know the guy has been sacked THREE times all season?? Chad Henne was on pace for 205 QB hits was it? Where has our pass rush been? We have had 0, our coverage has been horrible, Rashad Jones gets beat almost every time down field. This team is just horrible, no leadership, no will to win, no discipline, but hey, at-least the players love the coach..

Hoops good on ya but that is still coaching the players themselves want to win - losers lose their jobs when teams churn the rosters why would players execute themselves off the field? No Columbo jokes please he was brought in to bring down Sparano although I am not a conspirist - Hank Williams did have a point though LOL
Columbo was picked by Sparano...that's his own undoing. He didn't have to start him if Ireland had signed him, he could have started Garner out there.

In that Colts/Chiefs game the coach could easily not call plays that gives the Colts the best chance for success.

Back
Top Bottom