Are the Dolphins going to sign a Cb? (merged) | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are the Dolphins going to sign a Cb? (merged)

Originally posted by ckparrothead
Yes but thats exactly what I'm talking about. They aren't just signing a Terrell Buckley to compete for the dime CB role, they are signing him to compete across the board all the way up to 3rd CB.

Dime CB isn't all that important anyway. He's rarely used and almost always has his back covered somehow. Trent Gamble proved to be excellent at covering TEs in the dime package. Ray Green has been showing up the regular CBs in camp so far. Omare Lowe was drafted for the specific purpose of trying to play Dime CB. And now they sign TBuck to play dime? I don't think so.

Let me put it to you this way. Last year after the draft, the 3rd CB position HAD been filled...by our newly drafted 1st round pick Jamar Fletcher. We took a chance on a guy that got cut that had been around the league a bit in Terry Cousin, and Jamar ended up disappointing and Cousin ended up doing really well.

This year once again we're in a position where our 3rd CB ostensibly looks filled by Jamar Fletcher...but don't be so sure. The coaches are hoping to strike lightning twice, and they are looking to push Jamar into performing up to par. Remember this time last year everyone was raving about how much improvement Ben Kelly had made since his rookie season...yet he couldn't get over the hump and got his @ss cut. Not saying Jamar will get cut or anything far from it. But if we sign TBuck, don't take it for granted that Jamar is our nickel CB

That very well could happen, but remember not all DB's can play in one or two years. It took Patrick Surtain until his second year to get the coaches to trust him. Fletcher is definetly behind where Surtain was in his second year. And having T-Buck on the roster would be an added push for Fletcher, and an added bonus for the Dolphins, and if Fletcher gets moved to the dime package then so be it, but no more excuses after that. I'll be just plain tired of him nickle and diming me to death :)

I've been unimpressed so far with Lowe, but we'll see in less than a month how he fares......

Fletcher won't play dime. Even if he gets beat for nickel he won't be playing dime. Its a different position. He didn't play dime last year even when we had Terry Cousin playing nickel and both Madison and Surtain healthy.

It'll probably be something along these lines. Much like Patrick Surtain's 2nd year where TBuck started ahead of him and then in a controversial decision the head coach pulled TBuck to nickel in favor of 2nd year guy Patrick Surtain, TBuck will start ahead of our 2nd year guy Jamar Fletcher and be pulled in favor of Fletcher in a controversial decision once again later in the season. The setting for this just happens to be Nickel CB this time rather than starting CB.

Fletcher won't play dime. Even if he gets beat for nickel he won't be playing dime. Its a different position. He didn't play dime last year even when we had Terry Cousin playing nickel and both Madison and Surtain healthy.

It'll probably be something along these lines. Much like Patrick Surtain's 2nd year where TBuck started ahead of him and then in a controversial decision the head coach pulled TBuck to nickel in favor of 2nd year guy Patrick Surtain, TBuck will start ahead of our 2nd year guy Jamar Fletcher and be pulled in favor of Fletcher in a controversial decision once again later in the season. The setting for this just happens to be Nickel CB this time rather than starting CB.

Ahh but we have to remember that (and I'm sure you do) Fletcher battled a couple of injuries last year, but he did get playing time in the Dime package but was outplayed by Gamble. Gamble was a better fit being a Safety but Fletcher has added a little more bulk this year, and he does like to tackle. It is a possibility for him to start the year holdn a dime :)

I talked so much crap to my Bronco and Patriot fan friends when they had him. If we got them I would not hear the end of it =/

I love T-buck!!! I would love to see him back just because he is one of my fav players. But I will be the first to admit that he doesn't make this a better fottball club.

Let me put it to you this way. Last year after the draft, the 3rd CB position HAD been filled...by our newly drafted 1st round pick Jamar Fletcher. We took a chance on a guy that got cut that had been around the league a bit in Terry Cousin, and Jamar ended up disappointing and Cousin ended up doing really well.

Yup I didn't mean to get our wires crossed. I had assumed that you meant that a t-buck signing meant he was coming into camp as the #3. I figure T-buck is on the downswing of his career and just trying to keep a job in the NFL. If he's signed it's pretty much to be the 4th corner and maybe be the 3rd if Fletcher doesn't grow into the role. However if Fletcher beats him out I think T-buck won't last. I don't see T-Buck being a 4th corner covering TE's.

Back
Top Bottom