Are the Miami Dolphins hopes of an improving offense just a dream? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are the Miami Dolphins hopes of an improving offense just a dream?

Perfect72

It's Only Happened ONCE!
Reaction score
It seems like every year we hear about how the Miami Dolphins will have a faster tempo and how Ryan Tannehill has full control over the offense. On January 15, 2014, former Eagles quarterback coach — and though to be quarterback guru — Bill Lazor was named offensive coordinator of the Miami Dolphins.

There was plenty of excitement when Lazor was hired by the Miami Dolphins because we all thought for one thing, that he would bring that incredible uptempo offense to Miami and also work wonders for Ryan Tannehill much like he did for Nick Foles.
It was not long into the next season that reality set in, smashing all of our expectations of what could have been into merely just a bunch of pipe dreams.

Now let’s fast forward to 2016. Our offense did not have a fast tempo for the last two seasons and Ryan Tannehill has actually regressed in his performance as the team’s starting quarterback. The only thing that I actually saw that was different last season was Ryan Tannehill taking more shots with the deep ball.

READ MORE: Dolphins happy with their offense

To my surprise, he actually wasn’t that bad, especially when DeVante Parker got healthy and returned toward the end of last season. Now, the Dolphins have hired an offensive genius and quarterback guru Adam Gase as the Miami Dolphins head coach. There are reports that the Dolphins also plan to speed up the tempo on offense this upcoming season.

a01bdee45516f497b815ef0f587be098.jpg

More at LINK: https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/miami-dolphins-hopes-improving-offense-130057646.html :ponder:

That ****ing Colts game. I had gotten home from being out just in time to see the OL completely whiff on that 4th and goal. What a disaster.

No matter how fast the tempo is....you still have to have a OL that can block to run a offense....nuff said.

I think the Offense will improve for a variety of reasons. First, the offensive line. Tannehill is 6 and 2 with Albert, Pouncey, and James on the line. I also believe that the lack of Tannehill being able to change things has more to do with Lazor's comments about simplifying things for the O-Line than Tannehill being able to do it. I think we can safely assume Lazor was talking about Thomas and to a smaller point Turner. Next, with the ability to adjust to a play based on a defensive look, that is HUGE! In the past, including last year we ran basically what was called with sometimes 1 check play....because of the offensive lines inabilities, the playbook was shortened as well; defenses knew what we were doing. Tannehill is a bright guy, and having the ability to change a call at the line to something that attacks a defense is absolutely key! The last thing is weapons! We have them all over the place and they can now move around. With the Draft, we now not only have 3 solid receivers, we have playmakers as back ups as well. It would have been nice to keep Miller, but Drake has similar abilities. We can run 4 and even 5 receiver sets, no problem. Finally, TE's thrive in Gase's system. Cameron was not utilized properly and although he did have some drops last year, I expect in this system that he will thrive and not have to bang so much. Some 2 TE formations with him and Sims along with Landry and Parker will be a sweet Red Zone option!

I am actually very excited! Just get Thomas the hell out of the line up and we should be good!

Tannehill hasnt regressed. If you think that you dont know football. Because he has 2-3 less td's than a previous year doesnt mean he has regressed as a player. You have no clue how much scheme and coaching effect players.

He has thrown for 4k yards for 3 years in a row... Its the job of the coach to turn that production into wins with scheme and good play calling. A line that can consistently block would help too.

Tannehill hasnt regressed. If you think that you dont know football. Because he has 2-3 less td's than a previous year doesnt mean he has regressed as a player. You have no clue how much scheme and coaching effect players.

He has thrown for 4k yards for 3 years in a row... Its the job of the coach to turn that production into wins with scheme and good play calling. A line that can consistently block would help too.

Honestly, Miami's offense as a whole was a lot less efficient than it was the year before, so the offense did regress. Not going to pin that only on Tannehill, but the group as a whole was not good, and not nearly what was expected after a relatively successful 2014 season on offense.

I think it's almost a guarantee that the offense will be better. Especially in the second half of the season after having time to gel. The defense is the bigger question mark in my opinion. With our revamped oline things should be easier. Hopefully Albert can stay on the field.

What kinda click-bait thread title is this?

I think the Offense will improve for a variety of reasons. First, the offensive line. Tannehill is 6 and 2 with Albert, Pouncey, and James on the line. I also believe that the lack of Tannehill being able to change things has more to do with Lazor's comments about simplifying things for the O-Line than Tannehill being able to do it. I think we can safely assume Lazor was talking about Thomas and to a smaller point Turner. Next, with the ability to adjust to a play based on a defensive look, that is HUGE! In the past, including last year we ran basically what was called with sometimes 1 check play....because of the offensive lines inabilities, the playbook was shortened as well; defenses knew what we were doing. Tannehill is a bright guy, and having the ability to change a call at the line to something that attacks a defense is absolutely key! The last thing is weapons! We have them all over the place and they can now move around. With the Draft, we now not only have 3 solid receivers, we have playmakers as back ups as well. It would have been nice to keep Miller, but Drake has similar abilities. We can run 4 and even 5 receiver sets, no problem. Finally, TE's thrive in Gase's system. Cameron was not utilized properly and although he did have some drops last year, I expect in this system that he will thrive and not have to bang so much. Some 2 TE formations with him and Sims along with Landry and Parker will be a sweet Red Zone option!

I am actually very excited! Just get Thomas the hell out of the line up and we should be good!

Good stat and we need to be looking at James a little sideways if he can't play at least 14 games. His absence from games causes us to lose. He needs to show up or get out because he is a bigger part of this team than most people realize. We need him every single week.

Honestly, Miami's offense as a whole was a lot less efficient than it was the year before, so the offense did regress. Not going to pin that only on Tannehill, but the group as a whole was not good, and not nearly what was expected after a relatively successful 2014 season on offense.

I said it last season and will reiterate. For all reasons, other than monetary, letting Clay shuffle off to beefalo was a mistake.

I wouldn't say the people don't know football. If you watched the games last season, he didn't look nearly as sharp as he had the previous three seasons. There were a lot of games that they were out of last year that he had some garbage time yards (A LOT of garbage time played in the Jets game @NY). I also wouldn't say he regressed, but he didn't take a step forward.

I said it last season and will reiterate. For all reasons, other than monetary, letting Clay shuffle off to beefalo was a mistake.

It definitely seemed like he didn't trust Cameron as much as Clay, that's for sure. As good as Clay looked sometimes, that contract was too much to pay him.

Not a dream at all. If Billy Turner can get his shizz together we should be good at OG. He's healthy now, has to pass block well, he can run block. The biggest factor is the most obvious one- Tunsil replacing Thomas at OG, one of the most talented pass blockers on the planet replacing one of the worst OGs who was always a threat to whiff, get off balance or slow react enough to have plays rushed or potentially get Tannehill killed.

OL depth aside, and it's a good thing, Ajayi is ready to roll, Kenyan Drake is very talented as a runner, receiver and return man, he's a big play threat all the way. Leonte Carroo is the real deal imo and Jakeem Grant is supremely fast and quick. We should be a lot better on offense imo.

Both the running game and passing game regressed. IMO, that is tied to poor OL play and Lazor getting exposed as a play caller.

Back
Top Bottom