Are we being too hard on Wheeler? Not hard enough on Sturgis? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are we being too hard on Wheeler? Not hard enough on Sturgis?

royalshank

Not a Game-Changer
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
I was just looking at the stats and was surprised to see that he leads us in solo and combined tackles at 78 through 11 games. He has missed some obvious tackles in key situations so perhaps that's tainting our view of his production? He seems pretty good blitzing and is disrupting some throws with tips, etc. Am I off base here?

Meanwhile, Sturgis stats include 2 misses from 30-39 and I think he's missed his last 3 50+ yarders - all in key situations. Given we drafted him, should we be expecting a better conversion rate than 20/26 (76.9%) or does he get a little pass here given 3 misses were from 50+? I'm torn because I feel like a couple of those misses may have cost us some games. Thoughts?

Player1-19 A1-19 M20-29 A20-29 M30-39 A30-39 M40-49 A40-49 M50+ A50+ M
Caleb Sturgis0033978763
TOTAL0033978763
OPPONENTS TOTAL00771195465

Goals

I like Sturgis but I would not have used a 5th round pick on him when we already had Carpenter.......

I'm not big on the total tackle stat, I would want to know were the tackles were made, were they 6 yards or more down the field? or close to the line a scrimmage? judging by the yards we give up on the ground I would guess they are being made down the field

Drafting Sturgis was a Cap saving maneuver that is masquerading as an attempt to upgrade the position.

It may benefit in the long run but having Sturgis over Carp has cost us games this year.
Add to that he is kicking well for a key division opponent makes things even worse.

Drafting Sturgis was a Cap saving maneuver that is masquerading as an attempt to upgrade the position.

It may benefit in the long run but having Sturgis over Carp has cost us games this year.
Add to that he is kicking well for a key division opponent makes things even worse.
This is what bothers me the most - that those misses seemed to cost us games...

Wheeler has struggled in coverage and with missed tackles.

Sturgis is not an elite kicker.

I would like the Dolphins to part ways with Wheeler after the season, and bring in competition for Sturgis.

sturgis is about as dependable as philip wheeler is in the hole as a run defender...

How about just putting together an effective offense that doesn't always seem to need to rely on a field goal kicker to win a game.

Might sound like a lot to ask for but isn't that what the GM is paid to do?

Funny. Sturgis misses a couple kicks, everyone wants Carpenter back. Obviously forgetting that Carpenter missed many kicks last season, leading many to say he's the reason we missed the playoffs (nevermind our lack of offense), and many of us were happy that Carpenter was gone. One more interception, and I'm afraid people will start the "trade Tannehill for Culpepper" threads

i dont want carp back either...mr mullet missed enough kicks for me last year where he can walk the plank too...but i do want a kicker that is dependable and consistent...and i dont want to use draft picks when i don't have to to get one

who isn't consistent in the first place

Leading the team in tackles on a team that can't tackle isn't anything special...also, getting all those tackles 6 yards downfield isn't any good. This is the same argument people used to use with Crowder...

A better question it, "Are we not being hard enough on Ellerbe!!!"

Him leading in tackles doesn't mean anything. He's been horrible so far but he's a LB on a 4-3 defense so he's getting tons of chances to make tackles and he's missing a lot of them. He's also not making any big plays. As far as Carp, he missed a few kicks that costed us games to and ws making tons of money for that.

Ozzy rules!!

Just cause Carp is having a good year in Buffalo doesn't mean he has the same year here. This stuff doesn't happen in a vacuum.

Wheeler doesn't know how to take an angle. He can't cover worth you know what. He is occasionally disruptive but I give more credit to the play call or the OL focusing on Wake or Jordan. Wheeler picks up the scraps.

Back
Top Bottom