Are we changing our Defensive philosophy? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are we changing our Defensive philosophy?

rafael

Hall Of Famer
Club Member
Reaction score
I heard a rumor on some board that Miami was studying Tampa's dime schemes. They keep two LBs on the field in their dime. Then we are looking at or signing players that don't seem ideal for our current scheme.

Zgonina: Not the big clog up the middle type of DT we usually get. He is more of a penetrating type used in, for example, Tampa's scheme.

Seau: A pressure LB, rushes the passer and run blitzes. Historically our system doesn't blitz the outside LBs much.

Knight: A true SS, big hitter, not as much range. Somewhat similar to Lynch.

So is our system going to be more similar to Tampa's? Teams in the NFL do tend to copy last year's success story. Thoughts?

i hope not, it would be a complete waste of time and money paying the CBs we currently have.....and zgonina wont be a starter so i doubt one decent pass rushing DT is enough to change our philosophy.....plus we HAVE the talent in the defensive backfied to 4 cb's on the field that are capable, unlike tampa.....

you put t-bay's corners on our team and our pass defense would PLUMMIT!!!! they are ZONE corners, very good zone corners but zone corners none-the-less......

I don't think so really. I think its coincidence. We needed a good 3rd DT, and Zgonina was the best available. We need an upgrade at OLB, Seau is the best available. Want a better SS? Best one is Knight. I really don't think there is any copying going on......

This is the first time I've heard this rumor so I doubt it's true. Bates and Wanny are creatures of habit and are highly unlikely to up and change what they know.

Ronde Barber is one of the best CBs in the league I dont care what you say about their zone coverage.

barber is one of the MOST OVERRATED cb's in the game, in my opinion....i just don't see how he is rated so well......he is a good blitzer, and a good zone corner....but he gets beat on press coverage....he would fail in our scheme, in my opinion.....

barber would be lost if he were placed on an island.....

I love our defense the way it is. Man to Man is the way to go if you have the players for it because when you run zone a good QB can always find the wholes in the zones.

The only thing I wish they would do different is blitz a little more. With the good pressure they get on the QB anyway that would add ten to fifteen more sacks a year to the stats and also force the QB to make bad and dumb throws from time to time.

Three things I would like to see added to our defense:
1. More intensity/better tackling
2. Jr. Seau
3. More blitzing

Something I would like dropped from our defense:
1. Jim Bates

IMO we won't adopt Tampa's whole scheme, but I'm sure Wanny wasn't satisfied with our crunch time D. Studying a D with a better rep for making stops when they have to is consistent with Wanny's personality. I would expect Miami to make adjustments to minimize our weaknesses and our #3 D was often weak at crunch time.

Back
Top Bottom