Are we ever going to be able to run the ball effectively??? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are we ever going to be able to run the ball effectively???

Jay131866

Scout Team
Reaction score
I am very concerned that we will never truly be able to run the ball effectively with our offense setup as it is now. Because Pennington can't throw over 20 yards, every team is going to stack the box against us and force him to throw. As good as R & R and our line may eventually be, I still think it will be difficult to run against opposing defenses with no threat of any type of deep pass.

Unfortunately, I do not see an easy solution as Pennington is still our best option at this point. Yesterdays game was a perfect example of us not effectively running, falling behind on the scoreboard, and then being forced to throw the rest of the game. Very frustrating to watch, and my question is what can be changed to help???

What would help is if we did a 2-3 WR set shotgun draw play..after two consecutive passes.

Are you kidding me? If Ricky could gain 1800 yards behind a worse line and Fiedler as his QB, I think we'll be fine. The Jets improved immensely in their run defense and they did some things against our young linemen that they probably were experiencing for the first time. Trust me, when we play the Jets again, the outcome will be very different.

no. never. it will never happen as long as this franchise exists and the NFL is around. sorry!

I am very concerned that we will never truly be able to run the ball effectively with our offense setup as it is now. Because Pennington can't throw over 20 yards, every team is going to stack the box against us and force him to throw. As good as R & R and our line may eventually be, I still think it will be difficult to run against opposing defenses with no threat of any type of deep pass.

Unfortunately, I do not see an easy solution as Pennington is still our best option at this point. Yesterdays game was a perfect example of us not effectively running, falling behind on the scoreboard, and then being forced to throw the rest of the game. Very frustrating to watch, and my question is what can be changed to help???

A couple of things:
1) In 2004, Curtis Martin rushed for 1700 yards and 12 touchdowns with Chad Pennington at the helm. How do you explain that?

2) If an offensive line gels and run blocks effectively, the running back(s) will succeed regardless of the passing attack's effectiveness (or lack thereof). A perfect example - as someone on this thread has already mentioned - is the 2002 Miami Dolphins.

A couple of things:
1) In 2004, Curtis Martin rushed for 1700 yards and 12 touchdowns with Chad Pennington at the helm. How do you explain that?

2) If an offensive line gels and run blocks effectively, the running back(s) will succeed regardless of the passing attack's effectiveness (or lack thereof). A perfect example - as someone on this thread has already mentioned - is the 2002 Miami Dolphins.

It also helps if you try to run...16 attempts is a joke...when you have Ricky and Ronnie.

It also helps if you try to run...16 attempts is a joke...when you have Ricky and Ronnie.

I hear you, but at the same time, the Jets' front seven was doing well against our offensive line and we were down by two scores.

I just think it was one of those games where the Dolphins fell behind early and were forced out of their game plan.

Yes. But the defense has to give our O some time to establish it. If we go down early this year (at least at the beginning) we are sunk.

The theory that teams will stack the box because he can't throw beyond 20 yards is a joke. Teams stack the line because like someone else said we're coming out with 1 WR sets. It's almost a given we're going to run the ball.

What people need to realize is New York had a very good front 7. They defended the run very well. I think it had more to do with that then us not EVER going to be able to run the ball.

I dont understand this thread.If it said, are we ever going to get a good qb? or something like that,I would understand but the running game has been a strength for us over the past couple of years.

I dont understand this thread.If it said, are we ever going to get a good qb? or something like that,I would understand but the running game has been a strength for us over the past couple of years.

The running game has all the potential but, Penny's presence could tip our hand and make it tougher to run against solid DLs.. I am not extremely concerned based off of one game as the Jets dictated the tempo and jumped on us early forcing us the throw more (but still I think there should have been more running plays especially at least one when we got in the red zone late in the game). I need to see more evidence and by week 4 if it continues I will be in the very concerned mode. Go by the rule that it takes about that long to see clear trends to develop except last year was so bad one could see the tragedy unfolding as early as second half of Dallas game.

But back to the point the running game will be established. TOP is concerned that Penny's lack of a deep threat will make it easy for opponents to put 8 in the box. That's when we have to get Ginn in space, pass out of the shotgun, and get Wilford in there as a tall target to help offset limitations in the deep passing game. That may not be enough but that's what we got.

I watched a very good defense specifically take the run away and giving us the pass. How many other teams have the personal to do that against us again? Arizona certainly doesn't, NE doesn't so I think the run game will be established alot more come the next two games.
Buffalo will give us fits just the same as the NYJ's did, but hopefully we'll be in a good grove by the time we play them.

Back
Top Bottom