Are we getting close to rebuilding again? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are we getting close to rebuilding again?

phintim

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
Rebuild
Man I hate that word. Ever since we kicked Shula out the door that has been about the only constant there has been being a Dolphin fan. A win tonight it certainly a need, with all the news leaking out of Dolphin land. Take our current losing streak, add to that our starting right tackle hanging out at the Looney bin, then add to that the rumors our starting head coach is being coached up by Aponte on his press interviews, our star wide receiver Wallace along with other players disagreeing with our offensive coordinator Sherman about the job he is doing and Ireland being undermined by his own staff Aponte that is adding up to a disaster if it is true and even if half is true there are problems. Geeze I wish we could find someone who could lead this team.

Considering this team hasn't been through a true rebuild yet I would say they are due one....

I think the team has more than enough talent to avoid a complete over-haul and just needs to upgrade at a few spots. For example if we had a decent o-line from the beginning you could easily see us being 6-1? 5-2? IMO, you don't achieve a record lack that because you don't have talent on your roster. Unfortunately, if we do in-fact bring in yet another group then anything is possible.

It's crazy how this team reminds me of that team that Mike Singletary had out there in San Fran(Obviously I'm not saying we are that talented). However, as soon as they got someone in there in Harbaugh, who knew how to properly assess and utilized the current talent it was night and day.

I think that's what makes this so frustrating. We have the talent to compete, but we don't have the minds to make it work.

---------- Post added at 01:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:07 PM ----------

I am sad

As harsh as I am on Ireland, there is enough talent for a new front office and competent coaching staff to come in and make this team competitive immediately, i.e. KC or Indy. The problem with Ireland has been his inability to put together a complete roster, leaving holes at different spots. The OL has to be the main focus in the off season. As for the coaching staff, they are looking as inept as Sparano and his crew.

If the Dolphins go in the tank from here on out I would say so. Mr. Ross is not going to put up with spending all that money and getting worse.

In the big picture .... we will be fine with a few adjustments ... just not the rest of this year.

This is ASSUMING that either Davis or Taylor can step up and earn a starting CB spot next year. Need to look at an elite MLB in next years draft if there is such a thing .... for the D ... otherwise it will be good for a few years (including losing Starks)

The OL needs to be fixed ... won't happen now. Martin needs to go to the IR today .... and see if he is worth anything next year. Sign Reid Fragel off of CINs PS squad today and start Garner/Jerry on the right side however it works best .... then let Fragel, Yeatman, Thomas, Watkins, etc all battle it out next year for at least 2 spots .... decide if Jerry is a keeper once and for all .... and that will leave you potentially with still needing a LT for next year -- but all-in-all a relatively young OL for several years.

We can look at RB and TE again as well ...

The sky is NOT falling .... we just have a couple pieces that we just cannot fix right now today to right the ship. I know we say this every year .... and unknowns are unknowns .... but the future is not bleak by any stretch of the imagination at least as far as talent is concerned .... schemes and playcalling are different story .....

I think the team has more than enough talent to avoid a complete over-haul and just needs to upgrade at a few spots. For example if we had a decent o-line from the beginning you could easily see us being 6-1? 5-2? IMO, you don't achieve a record lack that because you don't have talent on your roster. Unfortunately, if we do in-fact bring in yet another group then anything is possible.

It's crazy how this team reminds me of that team that Mike Singletary had out there in San Fran(Obviously I'm not saying we are that talented). However, as soon as they got someone in there in Harbaugh, who knew how to properly assess and utilized the current talent it was night and day.

I think that's what makes this so frustrating. We have the talent to compete, but we don't have the minds to make it work.

Yes!!

Personally I don't think so.

If things continue as is, and for sake of argument there is a house-cleaning at the end of the season. It could be like the switch from Singletary to Harbaugh for the 9ers. Not saying we see the same success, but there is a strong foundation.

Defense
There is talent and a good portion, but, I believe, we are in a square peg round hole situation, i.e. we have 34 personnel and trying to run a 43 scheme.
I for one would like to see a 34/24 with Starks/Soliai/Odrick up front, a backer line up of Vernon/Jordan on the outside with Misi and Ellerbe inside, yep... Misi inside. I'm indifferent to Wheeler, all he can do is blitz so could be a change up on the outside and rotate with OV/Jordan, or dump him and his salary. and I'd trade Wake, he's getting up in age try and get something for him. Secondary, unchanged.

Offense.
Good WR corps, potentially very good TE group if Keller comes back in decent shape. A decent, but not quite franchise QB - yet!. Ok backs and one stud OL. Do a Chicago this off season and get 4 new OL and it could be a very different Offense. There's a lot of talent on the outside to stretch the field, and with a better OL, Miller/Thomas - could??? be better.

So I don't think it's rebuilding, outside of rebuilding the OL.

Thoughts?

Yea I agree Pat and that's a pretty fair assessment. The square peg round hole applies to the entire operation in that until you get front office, coaching staff and players in sync, there isn't much chance of improvement. It just feels as if this franchise has not been able to get everyone on the same page for many years.

Back
Top Bottom