Are we good drafters? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are we good drafters?

i got da juice

Starter
Reaction score
espn posted their 50 biggesst busts of all time and none of them were drafted by the dolphins.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/news/story?id=3325687
while we had 3 phins on their 50 biggest steals list
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/news/story?id=3329687

does this make us good drafters. what do you think that we have lacked or done correctley through out or history.

i feel that the reason that we have no busts is because while or incoptetant FO was in town ( wanstat years ect) we traded too many of our picks and it casued us to take less chances and remain old. i think shula was a coaching and FO genious and very few of his ideas didnt pan out. i see parcells getting us players where we will have least to lose, causing less busts.

No it doesn't make us good, it just means that in our history as a team we've rarely picked in the top 5-10.

it has absolutey nothing to do with picking in the top 5-10 lol

Yes it does. How many on that top 50 busts of all time list were top 5 or top 10 picks in the draft?

I haven't even looked at the list and I'm going to say 95% or more.

The reason we don't have guys on that list is because we haven't had those high picks.

At points in time have we been good drafters? Yes, sure. Recently? No, not a chance. The last really good thing we did in the draft was Ronnie Brown, and Channing Crowder, and hopefully John Beck. Our team is as bad as it is now due to the poor drafts of the last 5 years or so.

Yes it does. How many on that top 50 busts of all time list were top 5 or top 10 picks in the draft?

The reason we don't have guys on that list is because we haven't had those high picks.

nice try, but 22 out of the 50 were outside the top ten. Making it around 56% of them going in the top ten. Pretty much half, not nearly 100%

nice try, but 22 out of the 50 were outside the top ten. Making it around 56% of them going in the top ten. Pretty much half, not nearly 100%

Ok, I just looked, 22 out of the top 30 were in the top 10. Most of the busts that weren't top 10 picks were in the bottom third of that list.

If Wanny hadn't given up two first round picks for Ricky Williams I'm sure we'd have a couple of guys on there.

Granted we haven't had too many "All-Time NFL Draft Busts"...but believe me, we have had our fair share of draft busts throughout our history:

Sammie Smith, Billy Milner, Jackie Shipp, John Bosa, Eric Kumerow, John Avery, Yatil Green, J.J. Johnson, Cecil Collins, Jamar Fletcher, Eddie Moore, and Will Poole just to name a few off the top of my head.

These aren't "All-Time NFL Draft Busts",...but these are "All-Time MIAMI DOLPHIN draft busts. For ever great player we got in the draft (Griese, Csonka, Marino, Clayton, Webb, Thomas, Taylor)...we got a bust as well (look above)...so i would say looking at our history, we are pretty even.

Jimmy Johnson was a good drafter as was Don Shula. But the Saban and Wannstedt regimes really killed this team. Cameron's one draft looks pretty good actually. Ginn Jr, Beck, Satele and Lo Booker are all players that will make an impact on our offense for years to come.

Tell that to Indy, who continually win year after year but never pick in the top ten because they win year after year

Tell that to Indy, who continually win year after year but never pick in the top ten because they win year after year

You couldn't have missed my point more if you had tried.

What I was saying is that guys who are considered "busts" are guys who are picked high, and expected to be the saviors of the franchise. I think one of the main reasons we don't have any players on that list of all time busts is because up until recently we did win pretty much every year and always picked late.

Guys who are picked 29th aren't expected to turn a franchise around.

I never said that not picking in the top 10 is why we aren't good.

we have drafted decent pre wans, saban, cam. becuase none of these were good talent evaluators especiallly scammer, but when we had jimmy and shula back in the day the new there stuff, and now we have someone else who really know there stuff. all that top 50 bust shows that the bengals are the worst run franchise in pro sports period.

historically, we're good. Since 1998 (year we got Surtain) no. Wanny and Spielman looked more for guys who fit their system physically, but just weren't that good (look at how many guys they drafted are not on the team). Saban drafted players that would be great players coming out of high school, but not necessarily great NFL players (JOE TOLEDO)

Everyone still seems to boast about JJ's drafts. I understand that you will miss here and there but John Avery still drops my jaw. :lol:

1st round pick 1998.

We missed in 1999 too. On everything.

Wannstatt actually traded away almost half his picks for veteran players. Considering almost all of those veterans stuck and were productive it difficult to rate his drafts as terrible. If those same picks he used in the trades for the veteran players had been used on rookies instead and those rookies had been just as productive as the veterans were most drafniks would have said he drafted sucessfully. Of course that is not the reason Wanny traded away his draft picks. He thought at the time he was just a player or two away of getting over the top and the window to win was right then so he traded for the players to get his there. It was not until he attempted to use the draft to rebuild the entire offensive line that his real problems started. Ricky Williams decided to retire rather than get murdered behind that line and with no running game plus a rookie OL the QB was running for his life. The OL problem is what led to Wanny departure the same as Shula's last year. Shula drafted 2 OL flops his last year and he was gone. I would say that you could make a case for Cameron falling into the same trap. Many fans on this site contend that Beck was better than Lemon last year. Those same fans generally blame the offensive line for Becks failure to perform which I agree with and that was IMO Lemons edge over Beck last year. Lemon could scramble out of trouble better than Beck last year creating enough time for a receiver to get open to throw too. Beck could not do that!

Back
Top Bottom