Are we now #2 ? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are we now #2 ?

Who has a better secondary ?

• the Eagles

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • the Dolphins

Votes: 23 92.0%

• Total voters
We let their best secondary play go! Vincent is a little better than Surtain, and out secondary is better.

We didn't let Vincent go. He and Marco Coleman were the two players Jimmy DID NOT want to lose from our defense.

In a nutshell, it went like this:

Vincent signed an offer sheet with Philly. Since Troy was a "transition player", we had 7 days to match. But the Philly deal was heavily front-leaded, making it difficult for us to match it due to our salary cap mess.

Out of nowhere on the 7th day, Troy walks into Dolphin headquarters at 8:00 am and tells Eddie Jones, "I want to be a Dolphin. Keep me in Miami". So Jones drops everything he has planned and devotes his entire day to drawing up a contract for Vincent.

Jones was able to put together a deal that for the same amount of $$ and years as the Philly deal, but the base salary was lower and the bonus money was higher. It's the best we could do.
But Vincent's agents turned down the deal and Miami was forced to allow Troy sign with Philly.

I think Vincent is better than our two CBs, but as a unit we are far better than the Eagles DBs. Also we play in a throw first AFC east, most of the times

Originally posted by alpemomo
I think Vincent is better than our two CBs, but as a unit we are far better than the Eagles DBs. Also we play in a throw first AFC east, most of the times
true - but the Eagles 2ndary is far better ag. the run. ;) Surtain reminds me of Vincent at times, but Vincent was a vicious a tackler a CB as I have seen.

I remember when Vincent was doing his search for a new team in FA.
I saw an interview with him saying that he" really wanted to become a member of (name the team)".
That pissed me off as a life long dolfan.
Right then I said EF Troy Vincent.
If you really want to be with a new team, then get the hell outta town.
It's one thing to try to get the best deal for yourself, but, to say that you really want to play for a new team, what the hell do you expect your fans to think of you.
I say, you can have Troy Vincent.
You don't want to be a dolphin, we don't need you!!!!!

Originally posted by PHINFAN4LIFE
Philly has an awesome TEAM DEFENSE, but the secondary honors would have to go to the Phins because of the corner play. The only player in the Eagle secondary I would want to add to the Phins secondary would be Dawkins. Im sure Philly fans would love to have either 3 of our current starters. Im still not sold on this Freeman kid. J. Fletch hasnt really come into his own yet either, realisticly! Very similiar styles of play, but Miami hands down!
Ive got to agree PF4L, one thing you guy's have to keep in mind, Philly blitz's more than any other team, they have no choice because their D-Line is way undersized and the only LB that impresses me is Trotter. The Eagles secondary plays very well together but Vincent (as good as he is ) has lost a step. B Taylor plays better zone than bump and run coverage, and B Dawkins is a head hunter but can be looked off a reciever by a well coached qb . It will be interesting how this defense plays with the release of D Moore,, this guy was the youngest one in the secondary but Reid decided not to take a chance on him after he was injured,, this IMOP this is a major mistake by Reid, in fact I feel that Moore has such an upside that WannSpeil should bring him in and see how his knee is progressing !!! Marino1983 :D

I think Madison is the best of the four cb's, but Vincent and Taylor are both better than Surtain. Bishop is the best SS in the league right now and the Dawkins/Marion comparison is closer than you will admit(i'd take Dawkins over Marion anyday of the week). Over all the Eagles are better, in 3 out of 4 positions, but not by much.

I think you can add the Ram's secondary to this list along with my darkhorse secondary-Cleveland! They will be in the top 5 this year in pass defense(with lots of help from their front four)

Come on now! Miami's secondary is better coverage wise by far, IMO. Blaine Bishop is a safety that plays close to the line. He has very little coverage ability, and what little coverage ability he may have had is gone now. He's terrific in run support, but he's not a guy that will cover deep in a cover 2 or a man over 2 scheme.

I love Arturo Freeman's range. He's got some cornerback coverage skills in him. He's a guy that I feel can match up with the opposition's 4th wide receiver man-to-man. Brock is just Brock. Not spectacular, but solid all around.

Originally posted by Dolfan984
I'd take Vincent over Surtain, but I don't know about Taylor.

Remember, Vincent is getting older too.

Vincent is 1 of my all time fav`s, but because of the age diff. I`d stick with Surtain.

Originally posted by Capt. Dick
Vincent is 1 of my all time fav`s, but because of the age diff. I`d stick with Surtain.

Fact: Vincent was a Pro Bowl starter as was Sam

Surtain vs. Taylor - goes to Surtain.

Brock vs Dawkins - Brock - 2 more Pro Bowleres
Freeman vs. Bishop - must go Pro Bowler Bishop

now that's pretty darn close

I don't know about Bobby Taylor. I really liked him for a while. But he just seems to get beat a lot. For a guy his size, he would be doing a much better job against the big guys. And he's not that quick. He's an overrated underachiever in my book.

Also, Philly's D might take a hit soon. The Eagles have been discussing a trade with Cleveland for Jeramiah Trotter. Supposedly, it's for a 3rd round pick. But Davis isn't one to trade picks. Still, they are discussing a deal.

Back
Top Bottom