Are we set in the secondary? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are we set in the secondary?

Sirspud

Pro Bowler
Club Member
Reaction score
I'm not really convinced that we have all we need in the secondary right now. I understand that the team hasn't wanted to throw big bucks at the top corners out there when they believe that the two young and cheap guys and ready to man the starting positions, but why haven't we brought in anything to provide some depth at corner? With the new FA rules, there has been a huge amount of guys out there that aren't necessarily going for top dollar. It would really help this team to have somebody capable of starting when Sean or Vontae aren't capable of going, which is going to happen at some point.

I'm perfectly fine with Will Allen starting if one of the young CBs get injured. The area Miami should be concerned about in the secondary is the FS spot. Clemons is athletic and has range, but is not a true playmaker in the secondary and IMO should be nothing more than depth and/or special teams player. Getting someone like Dashon Goldson would really boost our secondary. I think getting Burnett to replace Crowder and (hoping for) Goldson to replace Clemons would really help take this defense to the next level (especially if another EFFECTIVE situational pass-rusher is added).

Personally, I have high hopes for Carroll, if he can play well in the dime spot, I think he'll soon be our nickle instead of Allen (who hopefully is fully recovered and can still play well). Sapp is awful, Ness looks okay. But yeah, we could use another good player as insurance

I had forgotten about Allen. That could be considered an addition, at least from the perspective that he hasn't played in almost two years. But I have my doubts that he is capable at performing at a high level, and he doesn't provide what really keeps this defense from being a defense that wins games for us- turnover potential. We don't have a single player capable of creating turnovers more than once or twice a season, and that is a major problem as we have an offense that is going to contribute a lot to us losing the turnover battle. And unlike others here, I don't just assume that Sean Smith is magically going to start creating turnovers when he has shown a defined ill-ability to do so.

for the first time in years, the D and its secondary aren't a concern to me. its all about the O now.

i'm still a little pissed we passed on the prince. best player on the board and likely better than both our guys.

i'm still a little pissed we passed on the prince. best player on the board and likely better than both our guys.

I dunno if Prince is better than either of our guys to be honest with you . . . we atleast filled a legitimate need with Pouncey as we had our most success on offense with a guy on the interior who can excel at pulling (Smiley). Pouncey has that ability and more.

I remember making this thread because I was wondering why on Earth, with more talented DBs on the market for cheap than ever before, we weren't bringing in at least a single player to try and solidify this secondary. This team's blind belief in Smith and Davis to be reliable DB's could end up being their achilles heal. If the two were as good as they are believed to be, we wouldn't have a losing record the last two years.

You aren't beating Brady if you can't pressure him. Revis and everybody else is getting burned like that. The biggest surprise of the game was the Patriots OLine winning the battle over the Fins front 7.

You aren't beating Brady if you can't pressure him. Revis and everybody else is getting burned like that. The biggest surprise of the game was the Patriots OLine winning the battle over the Fins front 7.

Maybe you don't beat Brady if you don't get pressure, but there wasn't a single player in the secondary who did their job tonight and covered. The receivers were wide open regardless of who was throwing the ball. Pressure would limit that from being exposed as much, but it's time this team didn't have to rely on the defensive line to provide its pass coverage. That's what the secondary is for.

sorry man, it doesn't work like that . . . if you can't pressure the best QB in the league, he is gonna pick you apart. There is no way around it. I agree, they really looked unorganized when Davis/Smith went out and Carroll and Wilson were in.

sorry man, it doesn't work like that . . . if you can't pressure the best QB in the league, he is gonna pick you apart. There is no way around it. I agree, they really looked unorganized when Davis/Smith went out and Carroll and Wilson were in.

This, you got to pressure him or he's going to pass for 500 yards oh wait...

Well maybe this will be a good wake-up call. The entire d should be humbled at this point which will hopefully translate to more preparation and fire to succeed.

Back
Top Bottom