Are we TRYING to run the ball? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are we TRYING to run the ball?

Well, I don't have the regular season first half breakdowns with me, but I found the playoffs. Here was Pittsburgh last season in their four playoff games. I'll list the rushing attempts first, then passes. Remember, this is first half only, the opponent then the Steeler first half rushes-passes:

Cincinnati: 12-14
Indianapolis: 13-20
Denver: 16-17
Seattle: 13-13

So, three of the four were very balanced but the Steelers had an obvious pass preference at Indy. Even in that game, they had 13 rushes at halftime. For reference purposes, even though that 13-20 looks lopsided toward the pass, the Dolphins if I remember correctly were 9-19 last week at halftime vs. the Steelers. Unforced error.

This has been beaten over many times this past week. We tried to run... but their D was loading the box. We just werent effective. Sure we could've stuck with it.. but eventually you will need 1st downs to sustain drives. Hence is why we started throwing screens late in the game.... almost the same as a run. I believe our running game will be more successful against Buffalo. It's a shame we played Pitt so early in the season... In a few weeks I think our running game would've been more cohesive and effective against their strong run defense.

And on a side note.... all the big backs with maybe the exception of LT didnt run for 100 yards. what did Alexander run for again?! Its the first game of the season. relax.

We played one of the top 2 defenses in the entire NFL, on the road, the night they raised the Super Bowl flag, in prime time. If you would have offered me 600-1 odds before the game on R. Brown or any other Dolphin back averaging more than 3 ypc I wouldn't have taken it. Except for our game at Chicago later this year, we won't see a defense of that calibur the rest of the season. Face it, Pitt is that good, defensively, and regardless of the final score, we were winning with under 7:00 to play. I don't think there are more than 4-5 teams in the NFL who would have been in that position. You have to pick your battles, and I agreed with the play calling Thu night. The only thing I was disappointed in offensively, was how well their CB shut down Chambers. I do expect more out of Chambers this year, regardless of who is covering him. Perhaps it's a trust thing that will develop as the season goes along between Culpepper & Chambers. Let's hope.

I believe our OL needs to improve their run blocking, and Houck is surely working his *** off doing that. Then when we can effectively pick up 3-4 yards per carry it will open up the passing game. Saban knows this more than any of us on this board, I expect he's all over it.

The last thing I want to do is give the Vikings props but they stuck with the run Monday night against the Skins, and by the 4th quarter there little 1 and 2 yard gains were becomming more like 5-8 yard gains. They wore the skins defense down, and played a very smart game.

The other thing is if you go back to the Steelers game I felt like we were starting to get better runs, especially our last scoring drive and I think we were starting to wear the steelers down as well. I could be wrong but I thought we were starting to run it better, and we completely abondoned it after the steelers missed the FG.

I would've bet money that we would have started the game on a play action pass. This would cause the D to play back a little and allow us a better chance at running the ball. Not only did we not start the game that way, but I only remember ONE play action pass the entire game. The play exists for a reason, so I don't understand why we didn't use it. Another way to get the D to back off is to throw deep downfield. It doesn't matter if it's a completion or not, the D then has to be on the lookout for it, which again opens up the run. We didn't do this either until the end of the game when it was too late to run.

I didn't like the play calling at all. It was reminicent of Norv Turner. :fire:

DolFan Dan said:
I would've bet money that we would have started the game on a play action pass. This would cause the D to play back a little and allow us a better chance at running the ball. Not only did we not start the game that way, but I only remember ONE play action pass the entire game. The play exists for a reason, so I don't understand why we didn't use it. Another way to get the D to back off is to throw deep downfield. It doesn't matter if it's a completion or not, the D then has to be on the lookout for it, which again opens up the run. We didn't do this either until the end of the game when it was too late to run.

I didn't like the play calling at all. It was reminicent of Norv Turner. :fire:

I agree with you somewhat but the playaction pass is effective if you are able to establish and run the ball, which we couldn't do.

only two game i've seen have been the opener and pre-season against carolina. run blocking looks terrible so far. i think the only way to alleviate these teams loading the box is to go deep. i was really disappointed that miami didn't seem to go deep at all against pittsburgh. clearly i'm going to miss linehan. he did some exciting things considering linehan was the qb.

We need better blocking or the run game will never be effective. I saw Steelers in the backfield too much last Thursday on running plays. You have to go with what works. Look what Indy did on Sunday night against the Giants; they practically threw every down. I am a big proponent of the run, and I believe that Championship teams need to run, but you have to block first.

hooserdaddy said:
I agree with you somewhat but the playaction pass is effective if you are able to establish and run the ball, which we couldn't do.

It's also effective when they are expecting the run, which they were for most of the game.

hooserdaddy said:
The last thing I want to do is give the Vikings props but they stuck with the run Monday night against the Skins, and by the 4th quarter there little 1 and 2 yard gains were becomming more like 5-8 yard gains...

That's what i mean

Finfansince1971 said:
I think that running the ball is a mindset. You have to decide that you are going to do it and stick to it. I understand that we have the bigger run blocking type O-lineman.

(from SI)

"That's thanks to Houck, who always favored those big, area-blocking linemen he had clearing the way for Emmitt Smith in Dallas. "He tells us we're in a heavyweight fight," says center Rex Hadnot. "He says the big guy will wear the smaller guy down. That's what we want to do -- wear 'em down, break their will."

I've been told that we simply could not run against the Steelers and so did not try. But I know that most O-lineman will tell you that run blocking is easier then pass blocking and the Steelers have a great rush against the pass also.

Running wears a defense down and keeps yours off the field. It also shows up in bad weather. I remember too many years when Dan would tear up the NFL the first 3/4's of the season then we would have to play in bad weather and lose.

I've been told that we simply cannot do it. But the Steelers have for 15 years (Cowher's time) and they have won more games during that time then anyone else. Is it luck or have the Steeler's TRIED to run.

If you do not run early you cannot run late, even to hold on to a lead. I hate going into a "shotgun" on 3rd and 1 yard to keep a drive alive. Against the Steelers we had a 3rd and 2 yards with 6:23 left and even though they were in a passing defense we tried a fake fullback handoff and then a "tricky" pitch out to R.Brown.

I tape and rewatch all the games and on that play the Steelers had 2 guys coming off each corner to try to sack Culpepper. A run up the middle would have gotten a first down.

Did loseing R.Williams mean that we cannot run anymore? Are we now a "pass first" offense. I do not understand how the pass can REALLY set up the run. Not like the run can set up the pass. There are no play action runs. However, we did try some. Like on the first play, Culpepper stood up, faked like he was going to pass and then handed the ball off.

I looked at the play by play and the Steelers did not run the ball well at all either at the beginning, they simply stuck with it.

You bring up points. It is true the Linehan and Mularkey in the Pitt game gave up on the run early. Now, there could be some logical reasons. 1) It is a response to how other D's play our offense and their scheme 2) Just a natural reaction when we fall behind early to go with the pass in order to catch up 3) Perhaps a personality issue in the sense Mularkey may be more impatient than most OCs. or 4) more disturbingly run blocking has become a serious issue and Mularkey recognizes this weakesses and does not want to overburden his line when it ain't working out.

IF it is #4 then we have issues and IMHO the progress we supposedly have made on the OL is not good enough. It would burst my balloon because honestly I still think that our OL will improve this year and eventually get their run blocking down.

With the running game patience and persistence is important. I don't want to see Mularkey get too impatient and abandon it too early. This negative element has caused many a OC to loser their jobs.

Fortunately for us over the next three games we are going to play some teams weak vs. the run. It could be what the doctored ordered so our line can get it in gear and build momentum before the Pats game.

And, of course the running backs have their responsbility. Let's face it RB is a talent but he only has one first step before he hits an open hole. He likes to run over people and break arm tackles. RB is not a super elusive guy in the open field or a 'dancer' like a Reggie Bush. But, he is a classic North to South runner and that is what Saban expects out of him. As long as he continues to accentuate his strengths Ronnie should be fine. But, he needs help.

Back
Top Bottom