Armando: Bess is staying | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Armando: Bess is staying

Nublar7

Retired FinHeaven Staff
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
There has been speculation (including by me) that the addition of Mike Wallace, Brandon Gibson and re-signing of Brian Hartline made the situation look grim for Davone Bess. Understand that Miami signed two inside linebackers (Dannell Ellerbe and Phillip Wheeler) the first two days of free agency and got rid of two (Karlos Dansby and Kevin Burnett) as a result.

So it seems logical when guys come, somebody's got to go.

That's not necessarily how the Dolphins see it. They have no plans to cut him, I'm told.

At this point the plan is to let Miami's receivers compete for playing time. Bess, who finished the 2012 season on injured reserve, is expected to be part of that competition.

By the way, Dolphins fans have to get away from the idea that a team needs only three good wide receivers. The Dolphins currently have four receivers who have started games in the NFL and produced. That is a good thing.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolp...aring-the-record-from-nfl-annual-meeting.html

they need 5 good WRs! not 3 not 4, 5! draft one in the 3rd and let Mathews, the rookie and bess duke it out for 2 spots

Interesting, If this is indeed true. How could they possibly draft a receiver? Where are you going to put him?

---------- Post added at 07:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:50 PM ----------

they need 5 good WRs! not 3 not 4, 5! draft one in the 3rd and let Mathews, the rookie and bess duke it out for 2 spots

Matthew looks like he has some strong up side. Where-as someone like Bess has already peaked!

And if we draft Swope or another WR? Who is the odd man out in that situation?

That's not necessarily how the Dolphins see it. They have no plans to cut him, I'm told.
Maybe they have plans to trade him.

I just hope bess doesn't get in the way of us drafting an early wr this year. I would like to have one more legitimate wr for the future of our team not named bess or gibson.

Interesting, If this is indeed true. How could they possibly draft a receiver? Where are you going to put him?

---------- Post added at 07:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:50 PM ----------

Matthew looks like he has some strong up side. Where-as someone like Bess has already peaked!
I could see them keeping six receivers on the final 53. Wallace, Hartline, Bess, Gibson, rookie and then give the final spot to Matthews or Binns(probably Matthews).

Rotation will probably be:

Wallace
Hartline
Gibson
Matthews
Bess

In that order...

I think it really should be:

Wallace
Matthews
Draft Pick
Hartline
Gibson
Bess...

Sorry, I love Bess but he's too limited in what he does, and Hartline and Gibson don't scare anyone.

I'm hoping Matthews steps up big time and that we draft a fast/quick WR in round 2 or 3 and throw him directly in the mix (if he can learn the plays).

Yeah baby. The kid is a security blanket. Super excited to see the extension of hartline and good news on bess. Let's just hope the front office isn't blowing smoke.

don't get why people want him gone. the guy may not get tons of yac but he is money on third down

I really like Bess. I think he is reliable and can be money with this offense. I still do wonder if they can him, but with that said this is good news.

Having one top 5 WR and three borderline #1/#2 WRs (according to PFF) gives Miami one of the deepest WR corps in the league.

The #5 and #6 WRs are generally developmental guys and/or returners, not a top draft pick.

Draft a rookie and cut Binns. It's a no brainer to me. I still think we draft a WR and a Te.

I still wonder if they can a cheaper and suitable replacement...like Swope or Bailey in the draft they will can Bess after the draft. They cannot know that know so they hold on to him.

Back
Top Bottom