Armando: Franchise Tag Unlikely To Be Used By Dolphins | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Armando: Franchise Tag Unlikely To Be Used By Dolphins

Daytona Fin

Queeks Draw
Club Member
Reaction score
The window for NFL teams to provide the franchise or transition tag designation on any pending free agent opens today and I can assure you the Miami Dolphins are unlikely to tag any of their players because, well, we don't even know the official tag values yet.

Perhaps the NFL has already signaled teams the likely values but the numbers aren't public.

So I doubt you'll see much action from Miami immediately.

But once the numbers are established, would the Dolphins have use for the tags?

Even that is highly questionable.

First, understand the rules for franchise and transition tags have changed. It is no longer the average of the top five-paid players at a position for the franchise tag and the average of the top ten players at a position for the transition tag.

The franchise tag made it impossible (in most cases) for other teams to negotiate with a free agent. The transition tag required a team signing a player tagged to give up a first-round pick and sometimes other compensation for signing that player.

The lawyers got involved in 2011 and now the franchise tag is based on the five-year average cap percentage for the tag at each position.

The Dolphins have only two free agents even remotely worthy of discussing in franchise tag conversations: DT Jared Odrick and TE Charles Clay.

The likely one-year guaranteed salary for a defensive tackle that receives the franchise tag will be in the $11 million neighborhood. Is Odrick worth that?

The likely one-year guaranteed salary for a tight end that receives the franchise tag will be in the $8 million neighborhood. Is Clay worth that.

Odrick is a good player. He's developed into a starter and is solid against the run and can push the pocket with some regularity. But he's not Ndamukong Suh or Gerald McCoy. He should be a priority to re-sign but failing that, a one-year $11 million tag for him is outrageous and poor use of cap space the Dolphins don't really have anyway at this point.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolp...ins-use-of-franchise-tag-doesnt-unlikely.html

This is news?

It is an opinion based article from Armando. But there is news in there for those that may have not known. Not everybody is here every day to catch up on the latest so it may be news for some.

The window for NFL teams to provide the franchise or transition tag designation on any pending free agent opens today and I can assure you the Miami Dolphins are unlikely to tag any of their players because, well, we don't even know the official tag values yet.

Perhaps the NFL has already signaled teams the likely values but the numbers aren't public.

First, understand the rules for franchise and transition tags have changed. It is no longer the average of the top five-paid players at a position for the franchise tag and the average of the top ten players at a position for the transition tag.

The lawyers got involved in 2011 and now the franchise tag is based on the five-year average cap percentage for the tag at each position

Thanks for posting Daytona

I would not franchise either one but i'd like to keep both. Clay is coming off a subpar injury year and they should be able to sign him for less even on a two year deal. Odrick might get good money as a FA but I think he likes it here so he'll probably do a cap friendly deal giving the Fin's a home town discount.

Didn't we figure this out a long time ago? Not having anyone tag-worthy may be the only thing we all agreed on.

Didn't we figure this out a long time ago? Not having anyone tag-worthy may be the only thing we all agreed on.

Maybe "we" did but "we" still haven't heard back from Hickey on "our" proposal. ;)

Since the franchise tag period began today and it is the offseason, I don't see the problem with it being discussed again. It is highly unlikely we use it and I believe only four teams used it last year.

Thank you captain obvious. Where WOULD we use it? Odrick?? LOL. Nobody even close to deserving.

Back
Top Bottom