Armando: How The Tannehill Deal Happened | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Armando: How The Tannehill Deal Happened

Daytona Fin

Queeks Draw
Club Member
Reaction score
Agent's view: How the Tannehill deal happened
Ryan Tannehill brought his parents -- Tim and Cheryl Tannehill -- to his press conference to celebrate and talk about his new contract extension with the Dolphins. He also brought his agent Pat Dye.

And afterward, Dye shared his thoughts of how the deal between his client and the Dolphins got done. (Yeah, I'm sure the Dolphins will not be thrilled about this but they need to loosen up, frankly).

It all began when club owner Stephen Ross met Tannehill for dinner and announced, "You're our guy." The owner told Tannehill he wasn't going anywhere. The owner told Tannehill the Dolphins wanted him as the QB for a long time.

Dye:

"We talked a little bit at the senior bowl, but had a lengthy meeting at the combine. They had recently, just before that, theyt told Ryan that they were committed to him, that he was the face of the franchise, the future of the franchise, and that they definitely wanted to have discussions about extending him. They wanted to manage expectations, with the timeline.

"We had a conversation and they said you have to give us some idea of what you think is fair. We continued to make progress, but about three weeks ago, we hit a place where we just didn't think we were going to get there. Then Monday a week ago, they made a significant move, in terms of total dollars, yearly average, improving the guarantee some. That was the first time I or Ryan felt like there was hope that we might get something done.

"We went back to them, made some concessions on the dollars, guarantees. It was clear to them that we wanted to get something done. After that it was just moving some things around and some nuances. It's a contract that today looks great for him, but if he continues to ascend, I just told Dennis Hickey, we're going to be knocking on the door in three or four years and hopefully with a Lombardi Trophy to revisit it.
"The way we all measure these deals is like hitting fast forward. Let's pretend he's hitting free agency for 2017. How much money are they paying him over those next four years. So this deal adds 77 million new dollars for four new years. Some of that $77 million is actually going to be additional dollars over years One and Two. So he's actually going to make money in years One and Two than he otherwise would have made. But those $77 million over four new years, that yearly average is $19.25. Brees average $20. Flacco is $20-and-change. I think Aaron Rodgers is $22 million. And I'm comparing apples to apples. That's how teams and agents measure these deals. What's the new dollars over the new years?

"I think there definitely an element on betting on the come in this deal. You just made the guy the sixth highest paid quarterback on the new deal. And he's never been to the Pro Bowl. Hasn't had a winning season. Never been to the playoffs. But I think you see the ascension. You see the progress.
http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolp...nts-view-how-the-tannehill-deal-happened.html

Well, that explains what Mando has been doing on twitter recently. You can always count on him to shill for a source (in this case, Tannehill's agent, and by proxy Tannehill) just before a story he wrote with exclusive access to them comes out. Like clockwork.

that was an awesome read...those last 4 years tell you miami doesnt view this kid as kaepernick or dalton or any of those other scrubs...and i'm with dye down the road they will regret this and come a knocking for it to be reworked and i hope miami then is receptive

dye definitely understands the commodity he has...have to give him that...

best line ever "i'm not even gonna comment about the rest of the oline"...you aint lying pat you aint lying...:lol:

"This is his team and this deal validates that. I told Ryan as we were getting ready to do this, "You need to prepare yourself for waking up one day and reading Andrew Luck is getting $25 million. He's a talented guy who was the first pick of the draft for a reason and he's been to the AFC championship. But this team is willing to make you one of the highest paid quarterbacks now and I don't think you put that off."

This agent seems like a realist and a guy that teams enjoy working with.

[video=youtube;U-b1eA3ytcY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=U-b1eA3ytcY[/video]

Dennis Hickey and Dawn Aponte are looking to be a very formidale pair.

They appear to be lock step in there doings unlike with Ireland. I remember Dawn and others in the office commenting on how Hickey was so much more personable and seemed like a true team player willing to adapt and take in all opinions and ideas.

Ireland and Aponte were fire and water. It became a sick environment with disease pouring from every orrifice on the team. This team absolutely has a clear vision since Hickey took this job. He truly is the anti Ireland. And to Philbins credit, he saddled the right horse. Not so dumb!!

Love Dye telling Hickey basicly, nice deal you pulled off but my client WILL see all of his money and will be seeing you again soon on a bigger deal.

And thats good for everyone!! If that happens it means tanny turned the corner and we are contenders.

Bottomline: They overpaid!

Hahaha.. I love it! I love seeing butt hurt haters hating on this deal. First yesterday and now today. Thank you so much for starting my day off on the right foot! :)

Thumbs up to you bro

:hump:

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think we overpaid at all really. We've seen quarterbacks who are probably in a similar mold (Dalton) get more. Has he been to the playoffs? No, but how much of that can be put on him. Think of the issues we had with the o-line/running game/Wallace, Hartline, Gibson in the past. In a year or two if Ryan runs around in circles, then we re-evaluate it. Doubt that will happen though, and I'm glad we have him locked up.

IT is still a very friendly deal on both sides...

Dolphins have an out and RT can go get more if he does continue to progress...everyone happy

Can anybody tell me what the H "betting on the come" means?? Is that a gambling term? Does it mean, betting on what's to come, the future, his progress?

I guess they are paying him for what they hope he becomes. Big gamble but high reward as well

Back
Top Bottom