Armando: Salary cap: Dolphins underperforming vs. NFL | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Armando: Salary cap: Dolphins underperforming vs. NFL

Perfect72

It's Only Happened ONCE!
Reaction score
http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolp...ary-cap-dolphins-underperforming-vs-nfl-.html

[h=3]Salary cap: Dolphins underperforming vs. NFL[/h]
Miami Dolphins general manager Dennis Hickey last week made the point that
"difficult decisions" loom this offseason when it comes to the salary cap.

And I've been thinking about this because while I'm certain the team's cap braintrust (Hickey, Mike Tannenbaum and Dawn Aponte) have been thinking about those decisions and an action plan for tackling them, I hope they can do better than they've done in the past.
Check that.

Tannenbaum hasn't been around so he doesn't own the past. Hickey has been around only a year so he only rents the past. Aponte has been here for years. She owns the past.

And the past has included some good cap decisions. And some terrible cap decisions.

That becomes abundantly clear to anyone looking at the chartsoverthecap.com published Monday in breaking down Miami's 2015 cap outlook.

To me, great use of cap space is defined by paying areas of your team worthy of that payment. I don't mind paying players that play up to their contracts. Amazing use of cap space is paying bargain prices for areas of your team that perform at a high level. And terrible use of cap space is paying a high price for little reward.

The Dolphins in 2015?

They are scheduled to pay exceedingly high value for areas of the team that simply have failed to reach the threshold of that compensation. Check the offensive and defensive spending published by overthecap.com and you see this quite clearly.

The Dolphins are scheduled to pay nearly twice as much for their wide receivers as the NFL average. Now tell me, which one of those players has been a Pro Bowl player for the Dolphins? None. Which one has been a game-changer for the Dolphins? None. Which one is elite? None.

So the Dolphins have agreed to pay elite value but have not enjoyed elite player dividends from that room.

The same holds true for the offensive line.

The Dolphins have been troubled along the offensive line for nearly a decade but the past three or four years have been particularly troubling. The chart shows the team has clearly thrown money at the problem, spending approximately $7 million more for the offensive line than the NFL average.

And yet ... this offseason it is clear Miami must somehow find two starting guards. So as much as the Dolphins have invested on the offensive line room, it remains incomplete.

That's wasteful use of cap space.

Defensively, the same problems abound at defensive line and linebacker -- or two of the four position groups on the defense.

The Dolphins defensive line was once the backbone of the team. But recently players have underperformed their contracts.

Last year, for example, the Dolphins gave Randy Starks a two-year, $10 million deal. It made him the third-highest paid player among 30 4-3 defensive tackles, according to overthecap.com. Did Randy Starks play like the third best 4-3 DT while the run defense finished 24th in the NFL?
No.
Did he reach the standards he set earlier in his Dolphins career?

No.

The Dolphins did (probably) get fair value out of Cameron Wake ($7.2 million for 11.5 sacks), Earl Mitchell and Jared Odrick. And they got excellent value for Olivier Vernon ($759,000 in cap space for 6.5 sacks). But the point is other teams are simply doing better.

The Buffalo Bills are spending a ton on their defensive line but they had three Pro Bowl players there and four players with 10 sacks or more.

The Baltmore Ravens, running a 3-4, have one of the dominant defensive lines in the NFL. They're on the hook for approximately $21 million in cap space for that room compared to Miami's nearly $30 million.

These are teams the Dolphins are directly competing against in the same conference. But the Dolphins are losing the battle at the bank because they're not getting the same bang for their salary cap buck.

The same problem is evident at linebacker.

What great linebacker do the Dolphins have? Let me help you: Nobody.

Jelani Jenkins is probably the most cost-effective of the bunch. He's a find. Everyone else? Too expensive and underperforming.

By the way, the last few weeks I've had at least four NFL people mock the Dolphins for the contracts they gave Phillip Wheeler No. 1 and Dannell Ellerbe No. 2. It is no surprise the Dolphins are likely to jettison both this offseason -- barring either agreeing to take a drastic pay cut.

Obviously, not everything is dire in the world of 8-8. Like the team on the field, Miami's contract negotiators more or less win about as much as they lose.
The tight end room was a bargain considering Charles Clay has played under his rookie contract until now. That, however, will change.

The cornerback room is not as bad as it seems in the chart because that includes Cortland Finnegan's $6.475 million cap hit in 2015 and the truth is Finnegan will either retire or get cut so $5.475 million of that is going to be savings.

(On this Finnegan contract ... What were the Dolphins thinking? Here's a player who had been bad for two consecutive years. His mentor Jeff Fisher decided he could no longer keep him on his team. He's cut. Finnegan is representing himself without an agent. And he gets $5.5 million fully guaranteed?

In what world? The signing was not only questionable from a financial standpoint, but it caused the Dolphins to otherwise stand pat at cornerback, which proved unwise. This, by the way, is not a second guess. Check the archives. I hated the Finnegan signing when it happened. Antonio Cromartie, meanwhile, got a one-year deal for $4 million. And he was better than Finnegan the previous two years and went to the Pro Bowl this year.)

Anyway, aside from Finnegan the Dolphins have done a good job on cornerback deals. Brent Grimes was expensive but he was a bargain his first year with the team on a prove-it contract and went to the Pro Bowl this season. So far, so good.

Finally, to avoid confusion let me address a couple of questions the chart might raise:

The quarterback position is a bargain for the Dolphins right now because backup Matt Moore is scheduled to become a free agent and so his $4-5 million is not showing on the chart and Ryan Tannehill is playing under his rookie contract. All that will soon change so don't do handstands over that. The Dolphins obviously need a backup. And even if Tannehill is not extended in 2015, he will be very expensive starting in 2016.

The running back room is cheap according to the chart because Lamar Miller is still playing under his fourth-round draft pick contract. Also, Knowshon Moreno, who the Dolphins paid $3 million in 2014 in exhange for 148 yards before he was injured, is no longer counting because he is unsigned. :err:

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolp...ns-underperforming-vs-nfl-.html#storylink=cpy

Wow. How do we get this emailed to Tannenbaum?? A lot of sense made there.

Simple solution. Draft better and you won't have to spend gobs of money on free agents to fill needs.

Hickey didn't spend a dime on free agents WRs, that was all Ireland, who Armando loved. I stopped reading there. And you'll never win in the NFL if you can spend 40 or 50 million a year on free agents, because that most likely means you've been drafting bad. Typically, there is a reason top free agents are free agents.

Never been a fan of Aponte. Nothing against her personally, but her hiring by Parcells was seen as more of a PR move than a business move. She's been at odds with ALL the managing figures who have been a part of the front office. Doesn't create the best environment when the Executive Vice President of an organization is constantly in some sort of rift with the coach/GM/owner. Maybe she sees that these managerial position are not up to par with the rest of the NFL. Maybe she is self-interested and just looking to be the first female GM. Who knows. The only thing I know is that the cap situation is garbage and she, unfortunately, falls right in the middle of the dysfunction again.

It's been said a bunch of times already, better drafting will alleviate a lot of these issues. Make the business minds' jobs a lot easier by drafting better.

Tannenbum may "not own the past" as far as the Fins go.

However his residual legacy elsewhere of overspending including unnecessarily extending a subpar QB into franchise cap hell speaks for itself.

It certainly does not conjure up any degree of confidence going forward.

Tannenbum may "not own the past" as far as the Fins go.

However his residual legacy elsewhere of overspending including unnecessarily extending a subpar QB into franchise cap hell speaks for itself.

It certainly does not conjure up any degree of confidence going forward.

More of a..."you think it looks bad now? Just wait..."

I have little confidence in Joe, but would rather keep him for the next 2 years over Tannenbaum...

So please someone tell me again how Aponte is an asset to the this team?!

Hickey didn't spend a dime on free agents WRs, that was all Ireland, who Armando loved. I stopped reading there. And you'll never win in the NFL if you can spend 40 or 50 million a year on free agents, because that most likely means you've been drafting bad. Typically, there is a reason top free agents are free agents.

Word. IMO Ireland couldn't draft a WR to save his life. Best I can think of is Hartline or Rishard Matthews, one guy who had a pair of good seasons but ultimately isn't much of a scoring playmaker or difficult to cover, and another guy who regardless of the reason, barely gets playing time on this team.
Anything else is overpaid FA.

The OP's referenced article is exactly why this team has been mired in medicrity for so long. Everyone can blame Philbin, and thats the easy answer (fire the coach!) but the fact is Miami has overall drafted HORRIBLY for a decade plus, and they have tried to mask that fact with CRAPPY free agent signings. Its a recipe for disaster.

So all you Tannehill haters and Philbin crucifiers, keep on keepin on brothas! Stay in "the easy excuse zone." Every thread here eventually degenerates into Philbin sucks, Tannehill sucks etc. Even the thread where PFF says we are 8 players away, the same old folks come in and say we are only an elite QB away. BS. We are threadbare at many positions and this cap debacle shows it well.

No great coach ever won anything at this level without difference making talent. Is Pete Carroll really that damn good? Would the Rams be any better under him with the same players?

Man oh man, if we could only lure Gruden away to be our coach, we would have it all solved.

Coaches have to take a big part of the blame here as well. A good coach will have players overachieving or at the very least playing up to their full capability. He will help make players better both by his coaching as well as putting them in the best possible position to succeed. He will alter is scheme to fit his players or insure that the players brought in fit what he wants to run. He will also have a clear plan for how he is going to use and develop young players. This isn't happening under Philbin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom