Armando thinks Dolphins will tag Vernon | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Armando thinks Dolphins will tag Vernon

If we had a proactive, forward thinking front office who could effectively evaluate young talent on the roster we wouldn't be in this mess. Should have resigned OV mid season at a fair price tag.

Exactly

This team has gone full ****** for about 15 yrs

According to Omar, because he knows all, OV will sit out all workouts and training camp if he is tagged.

Omar is an idiot. The guy played four years for 2.8 million and he is going to sit out after getting a guaranteed 15.7 million for ONE year. Omar may be that stupid to think this, but OV isn't that stupid, guaranteed.

Exactly

This team has gone full ****** for about 15 yrs

No player in their right mind is going to resign mid season when the star DE just tore his achilles and the spotlight is now on you. Also, most teams don't work contracts during the season. But sure, let's blame the team.

I think the team saw great potential in Vernon after the 2013 season but, he seemed to hit a wall in 2014 and was disappointing, Hard to fault the team for waiting to see if he was still on track.

Sounds like they are going to push it to the last minute.

The window for applying the franchise or transition tag opened 13 days ago. It closes Tuesday at 4:00 p.m. ET. The Dolphins haven’t officially decided whether to tag defensive end Olivier Vernon.

Per a league source, the Dolphins plan to sleep on it one more night, taking full advantage of the tag deadline. Which makes sense, since it’s a deadline-driven business.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/02/29/dolphins-sleeping-on-vernon-tag-one-more-night/

OV is NOT worth $15+ million per season. That kind of money for him is absurd. Also, we better make up our damn mind on him since we have to have it done by March 1st.

Why haven't they decided? Almost seems like they'll use it.

The transition tag would be the dumbest move.

OV has the desire to get paid (as any NFLer should), but I've not felt he has the concurrent desire to WIN. I have questions as to whether he'll put in the work after getting paid to show he was worth the money (for example, wouldn't question Wake, Landry, or Tannehill's work ethic). For those reasons I don't think he's worth 10% of the team's cap.

Tag and trade.

OV has the desire to get paid (as any NFLer should), but I've not felt he has the concurrent desire to WIN. I have questions as to whether he'll put in the work after getting paid to show he was worth the money (for example, wouldn't question Wake, Landry, or Tannehill's work ethic). For those reasons I don't think he's worth 10% of the team's cap.

Tag and trade.

This can be said about an alarming large percentage of players in the NFL. Every team has their guys who lay everything on the line. But showing up to the facility every day does not mean they have heart. They can have dedication to their body, their craft and their team. But having the heart and soul the lay your body on the line each play to WIN... is not as common as many fans think.

There are a lot of players that protect their body from unnecessary wear and tear, we call this "pulling up" or "taking plays off". And there are many guys who are technicians and very devoted to perfecting their craft.

But Super Bowl winning teams have a collection of guys who are playing to win at all costs. This is why our team seemingly disappoints so often. We don't have enough players with heart and desire to win. They are simply cashing in checks and playing for their next one.

You can't blame most for wanting to sustain their careers and protect their bodies. But we have as much talent as most teams, they simply possess more players that want to win more than we do. We could sign every free agent available... and still finish 8 - 8.

We need leaders. It's funny with all the money we do spend, we still fail to find leaders. Maybe "leadership" isn't a metric. Maybe we should figure out how to identify it... and pay those who have it.

Funny fact. In 2011, the salary cap was $120M. We franchised Paul Soliai for $12.5M a little more than 10%. His agent is David Canter.

In 2016, the salary cap is $155M. We are considering franchising Olivier Vernon for $15.7M a little more than 10%. His agent is David Canter.

Soliai was the Phins 4th round pick finishing his 4th year. Vernon is a 3rd round pick finishing his 4th year,

Strange.

I hope we keep OV personally. He has a high motor and gives a lot of strong effort. He comes on strong in the 4th too. 15 per does seem a bit too high I don't see us paying that

Back
Top Bottom