Armando's recap of Bears game | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Armando's recap of Bears game

AL R

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
So you saw the headline and unless you know what happened, you're a little disappointed the Miami Dolphins were not representative in their first preseason game of the 2015 season.

Relax. The starters and, really, the second-team players did just fine. The Dolphins scored on their first offensive series and the starting defense did not give up a point. The reserves once we got past some of the second-team players?

Terrible as a group.
(More on all that in a second).
You should know that reserve linebacker and special teams contributor Jordan Tripp left the game in the first half with a right ankle injury. The injury doesn't look good in that Tripp left Soldier Field in a walking boot and with the assistance of crutches.

Fellow linebacker Chris McCain also left the game with an ankle injury but his doesn't seem serious. He walked off under his own power and did not require a boot or crutches. He was seen walking without significant discomfort on the sideline later in the evening.

So there's that. Tripp had an injury issue early last season, was having a good camp and may now have to deal with this setback.
It seems clear the Miami offense is in a much better place right now than it was a year ago at this time when the offensive coordinator was new, the players were not best suited to the system and multiple players wanted to get theirs.

Led by quarterback Ryan Tannehill, the Dolphins took the opening kickoff and marched 85 yards to a touchdown -- a 2-yard pass from Tannehill to Jarvis Landry. The Dolphins both ran and passed well against the Chicago starting defense.
Lamar Miller had a 27-yard run. Tannehill completed 6 of 7 passes for 56 yards with that TD and no interception. His quarterback rating for the evening was 139.6.

The only problem with that starting unit and the opening drive? Left tackle Jason Fox had a holding penalty. Right guard Billy Turner had a holding penalty in the red zone.

Turner, who played into the second quarter and even got some work in the third quarter, seemed to have a better night than he had a scrimmage last week or has had in practice against Ndamukong Suh. Yes, he still looked lost at times -- not blocking anyone at one point while both center Mike Pouncey and right tackle Ja'Wuan James handled their men one-on-one on one pass play.

But Turner didn't have any awful look-at-me-screw-up moments. He was otherwise anonymous, which is good for an offensive lineman.
Dallas Thomas had a similarly uneventful night. If somewhere Evan Mathis was rooting for a either Miami guard to implode, thus opening the door for him, it did not happen this night.

On defense, the starts fared well against Jay Cutler and company.

It became evident how much teams respect Suh when the Bears committed double teams to blocking him almost every play. That helped Cameron Wake get a one-on-one on one pass play and he turned it into a sack.

That sack, however, was nullified by offsetting penalties but the consequence Suh had on a play he was nowhere near was obvious.
The Dolphins had too many penalties as a team. They had 12 penalties for 80 yards.

Cornerback Bobby McCain had three of those penalties.

And defensive tackle Anthony Johnson was called for three neutral zone infractions.
Suh was called for one neutral zone infraction.
Unacceptable.
Johnson particularly seemed to have an off night. He was blocked on what turned into a 21-yard run right up the gut by the Bears.
It has been clear for a long time the Dolphins are going to go with two quarterback during the season, with probably a third quarterback on the practice squad.

The reason for this is Josh Freeman has simply not been good enough in practice to warrant a roster spot and has been running fourth-team behind McCleod Bethel-Thompson.

And when Bethel-Thompson took over for Moore this evening, the script seemed to be playing out as it had in practice. He's been slightly better than Freeman.

Bethel-Thompson had a QB rating above 100 early on. Then he imploded.
The threw two interceptions that sandwiched a Mike Gillislee fumble. He completed only five of 12 passes. It was a bad outing.
And then Freeman came in and, against third-team competition, fared not much better. He threw an interception while completing only 5 of 16 passes.

Both of Miami's lower tier quarterbacks had ratings of 21.9.
I would not be surprised if the Dolphins go shopping for another third-quarterback practice squad type because it was that bad.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolp...ami-dolphins-lose-to-chicago-bears-27-10.html

Suh was called for one neutral zone infraction.
Unacceptable.

Definitely not worried about suh's couple of offsides in game one of preseason. As long as he gets it out of his system for the season - or hell even gets one here and there as a trade off for insane jump on the ball, i won't be worried.

One of the biggest adjustments young CBs have to make is playing with less hand fighting/grabbing...something that they're allowed to do in college a lot more than they allow in the NFL. McCain will adjust.

Turner is a very smart dude. He's learning on the job right now and he progressing. That's all you can hope for right now. I love his mental makeup and his aggressiveness on run plays. He's got good feet he just needs to keep working.

The Dallas Thomas news may be the most surprising so far...and good. Anxious to watch the game tonight. No word on Jamil Douglas?

I don't care they lost the game. Once Tannehill and Suh were out, I was just relieved they weren't hurt and that they had success/ On to week 2 vs. Carolina in 8 days.

One of the biggest adjustments young CBs have to make is playing with less hand fighting/grabbing...something that they're allowed to do in college a lot more than they allow in the NFL. McCain will adjust.

Turner is a very smart dude. He's learning on the job right now and he progressing. That's all you can hope for right now. I love his mental makeup and his aggressiveness on run plays. He's got good feet he just needs to keep working.

The Dallas Thomas news may be the most surprising so far...and good. Anxious to watch the game tonight. No word on Jamil Douglas?

yup yup.... most the rookie CBs i have watched are totally handsy and getting calls... they will definitely learn!!!

and definitely with Turner.... I jsut waiting and watching the line, looking for those developments from ALL

I still remember those videos of Billy Turner training for the draft last year. I can't remember the name of them but it was a good 6 or 7 video sequence. It showed how much of a work ethic billy turner has. Bill Turner is going to make it just fine in this league

I don't remember hearing his name at all last night, not sure if he got any snaps, which would be odd.

How is Freeman so bad now!? I had him on my fantasy team a few years ago and he killed it. Now get can't even score on third team defenses? Wtf?

I don't remember hearing his name at all last night, not sure if he got any snaps, which would be odd.

I saw him. The announcers showed him and were talking about him for a little while. I think he held his own pretty well

Suh is a bit of a fox, he may go offsides every once in a while on purpose, one to goad the OL in front of him to flinch and the ref may call it out wrong like a reverse hard count, and also to put it in the head of the line man that my monster ass will be on you like white on rice the millisecond that ball is snapped you may want to get ready. Thus leading to mental mistakes. Crafty vets take every angle. Now Johnson going offsides like that is just rookie puppy pissing on the floor stuff

He played the 2nd qtr and part of the third I think. He didn't look dominant, but he was solid. That his name wasn't mentioned was a good thing.

I think the O is better, but I want to see more. Didn't we take the opening kickoff last year for a TD the first preseason game?

I think the O is better, but I want to see more. Didn't we take the opening kickoff last year for a TD the first preseason game?

Yes. Which is why I want to see how we fare in the dress rehearsal game. Seeing individual players looking sharp and competent is good. That's certainly NOT bad. But there was no gameplanning last night.

I don't care about much of anything that happened in the 2nd half of the game, I was personally more interested in how the linebackers and offensive line looked in the first half:

1) We may have found an answer in the starting linebacker group. Jenkins was great as usual and Mccain looked quite strong as well, I was shocked about just how good Sheppard looked. It was only one half but I was quite pleased with the group as a whole.

2) Dallas Thomas has found his place on this team. I have never understood all the hatred for this kid on the forum here. He has been tossed all over the line when it was quite obvious from day 1 that he is a guard and not a tackle. He had a good night and didn't make any noticeable mistakes, once he is sandwiched between Albert and Pouncey he will be just fine. The kid is a player and I will keep saying that.

3) Billy Turner had a good night in an extended showing. He is young, he is powerful, and he is raw. He has to work on his technique a bit yet and still has some positioning issue at times but he held his own and only had the 1 holding penalty.

This night couldn't have gone any better for the things I was looking at. We won't be signing Mathis as our guards are playing just fine, let this group grow together and they will impress this year. I am hopeful that Sheppard will grow into our Starting MLB this year, I simply can't count on Misi being there....

Back
Top Bottom