Armando's take on the first practice | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Armando's take on the first practice

Daytona Fin

Queeks Draw
Club Member
Reaction score
Ryan Tannehill and Mike Wallace have a long way to go on their deep ball connections. Still. The duo combined for one completion deep down the left sideline midway through practice during seven on seven drills. But there were two other instances when Tannehill underthrew on deep passes -- one to Wallace who was wide open behind Will Davis and once when Damien Williams was open deep.

The starting offensive line today was RT Ja'Wuan James, RG Dallas Thomas, C Shelley Smith, LG Daryn Colledge and LT Branden Albert. James gave up multiple sacks in both one-on-one drills and in team drills. But ... Remember the pads were not fully on, he was matched against Cam Wake, and the kid is a rookie.

Colledge had a fine moment in one-on-one drills against Earl Mitchell. Stoned him at the line of scrimmage.

It must be said that the quarterback-center exchanges need cleaning up. There were two fumbled exchanges between Tannehill and Smith. Second-team center Sam Brenner ground-balled one shotgun snap, and Tannehill bobbled another exchange.

Mike Pouncey, the starting center once he returns from his hip surgery, said he "ahead of schedule" on his rehabilitation. But, as you know, he will miss the start of the season and he may miss up to seven games, as I've reported.
Interesting scene after practice: The one player owner Stephen Ross made a point of meeting and talking to was Jarvis Landry. And then Ross mentioned Landry as a big addition during his press conference. Perhaps the owner has been told by coaches to keep an eye on the rookie.

What did I see from Bill Lazor's offense today? Lots of screens, especially bubble screens to receivers, lot of passes in the flat to the TE (Michael Egnew caught two and dropped one) and lots of quick throws. I saw the read option, including using Tannehill on the keeper.

I did not hear Go and Go-Go at practice today.

Second-year CB Jamar Taylor, who was beaten on the deep completion from Ryan Tannehill to Mike Wallace, recovered nicely later in practice. He had a nice pass defensed and near interception on a Matt Moore pass.

The Dolphins are working Nate Garner as their backup LT. Obviously, if Albert goes down, the Dolphins may shift rookie Ja'Wuan James to LT and play Garner at RT. But ... if there is any point this season Garner has to play LT in a game, that is bad news. Garner is a fine swing player. He is a solid G and a serviceable RT. He is not, repeat, not a LT.
Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/#storylink=cpy

I would try Billy Turner at LT before Garner.

Agree with Hayden! I think Billy Turner would be a better fill in at LT

Go, Go-Go was pathetic. Just give the Defense the snap count why don't you. Bye bye Sherm. I am excited for this year.

I happy with the decision the move Smith the center. I dont think i would have been too thrilled to see Brenner or Garner starting.

"Mike Pouncey, the starting center once he returns from his hip surgery, said he "ahead of schedule" on his rehabilitation. But, as you know, he will miss the start of the season and he may miss up to seven games, as I've reported."

Pouncey's direct quote directly refutes Assmando's report yesterday, so he has to backtrack here and try to cover his butt with "may miss up to seven games, as I've reported."

On schedule would be missing 3 or 4 games, ahead of schedule would mean missing 0 to 2 games.

Let's see when Pouncey actually makes it back, and what a tool Assmando turns out to be (for yesterday's non-story and a million other pants-crappers).

"Mike Pouncey, the starting center once he returns from his hip surgery, said he "ahead of schedule" on his rehabilitation. But, as you know, he will miss the start of the season and he may miss up to seven games, as I've reported."

Pouncey's direct quote directly refutes Assmando's report yesterday, so he has to backtrack here and try to cover his butt with "may miss up to seven games, as I've reported."

On schedule would be missing 3 or 4 games, ahead of schedule would mean missing 0 to 2 games.

Let's see when Pouncey actually makes it back, and what a tool Assmando turns out to be (for yesterday's non-story and a million other pants-crappers).

Pouncy is not ahead of anything right now. Any beat writer is just creating content right now.

Mike Pouncey, the starting center once he returns from his hip surgery, said he "ahead of schedule" on his rehabilitation. But, as you know, he will miss the start of the season and he may miss up to seven games, as I've reported..

He had better be. If the jerk off is healthy enough to party until four in the morning he should be read by week two.

Pouncy is not ahead of anything right now. Any beat writer is just creating content right now.

this was POUNCY saying this, NOT a reporter. it was a POUNCY quote, not some "its been reported" crap.

i am NOT an armondo fan at all, especially after his public ANTI AMERICAN rant he went on a month or so back either on twitter or his column.

and i thought he was worthless hack before that!! but, when he is right [like anyone] he is right and it was not a "read me" statement but a quote from pouncy himself.

Aren't they almost always ahead of schedule?

lol, yes, all the time, when they mention it. when they are on schedule or behind schedule they don't say anything, or they say "the rehab is going well," or "it's coming along." if they are ahead of schedule, they are going to tell you about it every time.

Yikes. I get scared when I read about so many screens, particularly bubble screens. Worthless plays. Nothing is more over hyped than screen passes. I have no idea why fans are so excited by them. Chart the outcomes over a significant period and you'll lose all faith in screen passes. For some reason the ones that work are cherished and that allows all the failures to be conveniently ignored.

I've mentioned that when I worked in a stats office the entire crew used to break out into instant laughter when a team tried a 3rd down screen pass, particularly against a top opponent. Not exactly complicated. The best and smartest defenses are aggressive and don't allow run after catch. Screen passes rely almost exclusively on run after catch.

Those plays are mauled when you can least afford it, and it serves to energize the defense and establish the physical pecking order. They love that they blew up your tinkerbell play.

Screen passes can thrive against weak defenses. But that's dangerous in itself. Anything will work against those terrorized defenses. The fact that it was a screen places too much confidence in them. The coordinator and quarterback don't distinguish between a call that will work against Team A but not Team B.

The basics don't change. Thrown the damn ball down the field. if we try to reinvent the sport we'll be appropriately punished.

Back
Top Bottom