Around the Horn | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Around the Horn

chemo476

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Did everyone see how the crew of Around the Horn reacted with Miami's minority interview process. By the way, they announced it like it just came out. JA Adonde (Homer from Philly I think) Woody Paige (Homer from Denver), Jay Mariotti (Homer from Chicago) all conveniently took the high road. Oh my god this is horrible, this smells of "tokenism" .........I love it when these analysts fake being PC so as not to appear controversial. When its not their team, they scream PC, when it is they conveniently caste it aside.

"Pearl Handled Pistols are for Pimps"

GEN PATTON

I really hate that show anyway... all they do is try to out-shout the guy next to them.

The current league system in place just doesn't cut it. The man with the best goods should get the job. Not giving it to that person is tokenism.

I'm glad more minorities are getting chances to coach - and all the black Head Coaches in the NFL are quality guys. But the system isn't right the way it's currently mandated.

To make it fair, other teams' coordinators should not be off limits until the end of the season. That would clear up a lot of this. Also, I think that guy Shannon, although his interview would have been "token", should have interviewed anyway. It would have gotten his name out there, and another owner from another team might have given him a shot later on based on that interview... which is exactly what the Rooney Rule is in place to do... give a minority coach a chance he would not have been given in the past.

This ESPN article about the Art Shell interview explains it best:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?id=1950744

It has been that way on every sports talk show. I don't care. People get way too uptight over this Rooney Rule IMO. Saban is our first pick. Crennel would be my first minority candidate but I'm not going to make this org. stop in its tracks to ensure that the top minority candidate is interviewed and thus wait until the end of the season before a HC is named. Any other minority candidate besides Crennel IMO is just a 'token' candidate as the term was used on "Around the Horn". I'm far from racist, but I try to be a competive business man. You risk losing your top candidate to someone else when you play games. Mr. H played no games, went for the top guy and things look promising.

I would love to see Randy Shannon as a Defensive Coordinator with the Dolphins or elsewhere in the league. I think he jumped the gun cause it is very possible that is precisely what the Phins had in mind. DC for an NFL team would be another step in Shannon's logical progression towards a Head Coaching job in the NFL or at a University. If the Phins offer Art Shell the President job, all the better. But people will kick and scream that the Dolphins abused the rule and if they do its because they don't have anything to lose. Tell it to them when their team risks losing their top candidate in order to be "politically correct". They will sing a different tune.

I'm strongly against alot of affirmative action programs, but this rule does make some sense and shouldn't hurt teams if they followed it. If nothing else, it gives minority candidates a small chance to make an impression. I strongly disagree with the severity of the fines, like the Detroit Matt Millen deal. Getting fined that much money for not interviewing a guy that obviously would not have been hired is ridiculous.

chemo476 said:
Did everyone see how the crew of Around the Horn reacted with Miami's minority interview process. By the way, they announced it like it just came out. JA Adonde (Homer from Philly I think) Woody Paige (Homer from Denver), Jay Mariotti (Homer from Chicago) all conveniently took the high road. Oh my god this is horrible, this smells of "tokenism" .........I love it when these analysts fake being PC so as not to appear controversial. When its not their team, they scream PC, when it is they conveniently caste it aside.

GEN PATTON
You know, on a side note that show hasn't done more for anyone than it has for Woody Paige. He actually left Denver to go cover sports in New York. His salary has probably doubled since going on that show if not better. Goes to show you that there are big stakes in sports media.

chemo476 said:

GEN PATTON

i try to avoid shows like this. it's all national enquirer for the sports fan.

love your sig but i think it is actually "only a pimp would carry a pearl handled pistol" ;)

Sirspud said:
I'm strongly against alot of affirmative action programs, but this rule does make some sense and shouldn't hurt teams if they followed it. If nothing else, it gives minority candidates a small chance to make an impression. I strongly disagree with the severity of the fines, like the Detroit Matt Millen deal. Getting fined that much money for not interviewing a guy that obviously would not have been hired is ridiculous.

I agree totally. its not that big of a deal for teams to do this.

they can suck on a you-know-what if/when my franchise hires the first black president in league history. that would be a proud day in dolphinland.

It is a token because they interviewed Shell and have absolutely no intention of offering him the job.

However, they complied with league rules, it's not that HWH, Eddie Jones or Rick Spielman is racist, Saban is their guy because they think he is the best coach available.

NY_FinFan_72 said:
To make it fair, other teams' coordinators should not be off limits until the end of the season. That would clear up a lot of this.
Agreed, you can only interview retreads like Shell in the circumstances.

And if coordinators can interview for college jobs (Charlie Weis) why shouldn't they be able to interview for pro jobs?

BTW, Jay Marriotti is an idiot.

finsnchips said:
It is a token because they interviewed Shell and have absolutely no intention of offering him the job.
If the interview with Shell is a "tokenism" then that responsibility falls on the NFL !!
:fire:
How can an NFL f-o hold interviews for a h-c when current assistants are off limits until the end of their perspective playoff run ??? :confused2

Marino1983

DOLPHAN1 said:
love your sig but i think it is actually "only a pimp would carry a pearl handled pistol" ;)

I thought it was "only a cheap pimp from a Louisiana whorehouse would carry a pearl handled pistol".

:roflmao:

Back
Top Bottom